Quinoa seeds.

Old April 5th 04, 04:56 PM
Simon Mason

Default Quinoa seeds.

I was interested in the Cycling Plus recipe this month, so set out to look
for some Quinoa seeds (in Hull!). Looked on the 'net and saw Asda stocked
them, so popped in to our nearest one. No trace of them at all, so went to
the Indian supermarket where they stock all sorts of obscure stuff.

Showed the bloke behind the counter the name and he scratched his head for a
bit before saying they didn't stock them as they were South American and
this was an Indian. I restrained myself from pointing out that they also
stocked cous cous and pasta and neither of those is Indian.

Finally gravitated to the "very expensive shelf" at Sainsbury's where you
can get a small vial of vinegar for three quid and other such rip offs.
There, at 3 pounds 60 for a small 500g box were the seeds themselves.
Apparently you can grow them yourself so I got some seed trays and put some
in a propagator.

Not really a lot to them, fairly bland seeds unless you add a fair bit of
seasoning, but they were very filling and are supposed to be as a near a
perfect food as it's possible to get, so I might get some more in the
future.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old April 5th 04, 05:49 PM
W K

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Not really a lot to them, fairly bland seeds unless you add a fair bit of
seasoning, but they were very filling and are supposed to be as a near a
perfect food as it's possible to get

No, thats chips.

Old April 5th 04, 10:16 PM
Sam Salt

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Got mine from Holland & Barratt,£2.39 for 500g IIRC.
Not tried 'em yet.

Sam Salt

---

Old April 6th 04, 12:19 AM
Richard Goodman

[...]

You can get them easily in London wholefood shops - there's two just down
the road from us - one of them sells in bulk and at least a kilo of the
stuff poured out of the container as soon as I pulled the handle. That was
two or three months ago and we've still got some left! We just use them
like millet or bulgar or rice - makes a change from the other things or
pasta sometimes. I don't expect any more from them taste-wise than I do
from anything else like that. They bulk the meal up but it's what else you
have on your plate that counts. They have their own characteristic taste
but so do the other things.

Rich

Old April 28th 04, 10:42 PM
Danny Colyer

Simon Mason wrote:
Not really a lot to them, fairly bland seeds unless you add a fair bit of
seasoning, but they were very filling and are supposed to be as a near a
perfect food as it's possible to get, so I might get some more in the
future.

DW cooked the C+ recipe for my dinner this evening (but without the
raisins, as neither of us can stand dried fruit, and I picked the
gherkins out).

The meal was incredibly bland, but was made palatable by the addition of
ketchup (we all ended up mixing ketchup in with it). We've still got
half a packet of seeds left, so Catherine intends to try adding a bit
more flavour to the recipe next time, including tomato and spices to be
decided at the time.

url:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old April 29th 04, 01:01 PM
davek

Not really a lot to them, fairly bland seeds unless you add a fair bi
of seasoning, but they were very filling and are supposed to be as
near a perfect food as it's possible to get, so I might get some mor
in the future

We get through a lot of quinoa in my household. I tend to use it in stir
fries in place of rice - stir fry ginger, garlic, chilli and sprin
onion in a wok, add some green veg (peas, green beans, chopped cabbage
whatever) and cook for a few minutes, then add some prawns or choppe
chicken and cook for another couple of minutes, then chuck in some pre
cooked quinoa and cook just until it's all hot, add a dash of soy sauce
then take off the heat and stir in a beaten egg. This is a recipe tha
can be adjusted according to whim/appetite/whatever you have in th
cupboard. Delicious, filling and very nutritious

-