Mavic MR 601 Hub to 135?

Old January 5th 05, 04:01 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Mavic MR 601 Hub to 135?

Hoping, but doubt that Mavic will have longer axles to convert the 130mm
MR601 hub I have to 135mm spacing.

Anyone have axles that will work, or know of a way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old January 5th 05, 10:27 AM
James Thomson

"Gary Jacobson" wrote:

Hoping, but doubt that Mavic will have longer axles to convert the
130mm MR601 hub I have to 135mm spacing.

Anyone have axles that will work, or know of a way to accomplish this?

As far as I'm aware, the MX601 was an MR601 with 135mm spacing that
differed only in the axle used. Have you asked Mavic if they can supply you
with an axle?

James Thomson

Old January 5th 05, 11:07 PM
Gary Jacobson

Mavic doesn't have the parts.
Maybe Wheels Manufacturing does. I sure hope so.
Thanks.
Maybe I can try a shop in France. It's the MX601 reference that could really
help.
Gary

Old January 6th 05, 04:50 AM
John Dacey

"Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur." - Seneca
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:07:46 GMT, "Gary Jacobson"
top-posted:

"Gary Jacobson" wrote:

Hoping, but doubt that Mavic will have longer axles to convert the
130mm MR601 hub I have to 135mm spacing.

Anyone have axles that will work, or know of a way to accomplish this?

As far as I'm aware, the MX601 was an MR601 with 135mm spacing that
differed only in the axle used. Have you asked Mavic if they can supply

you
with an axle?

James Thomson

When you called the shop tonight, I felt guilty that I had allowed
myself to be distracted by work from researching this when I first saw
your post. So I dragged out the manual ad rem again. If it's helpful,
the exploded diagrams (with Mavic part numbers) for the rear 601
series hubs are he

MR model -
http://www.businesscycles.com/graphi...601mr_rear.jpg

MX model -
http://www.businesscycles.com/graphi...601mx_rear.jpg

As you can see, the hubshell bearings are common to both models, but I
am concerned that the difference in the dimensions of the two
hubshells and their respective axles may preclude interchangeability
(assuming you can find an MX axle).

The other option you mentioned on the phone (using the cones from a
Suzue Pro-MaxSB hub) doesn't strike me as being poised on the brink of
success either, but I've got those axle sets in stock if you elect to
give it a shot. Since you mentioned this was for a touring bike, I
encourage you to seek a hub that hasn't needed such heroic measures to
be put in play lest it ever come to need attention while on tour.
-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
http://www.businesscycles.com
Old January 6th 05, 05:08 AM
Gary Jacobson

Gosh, How do I thank you and the others who have worked on this. I am really
heartened by the collective good of the bike community. I guess it really
shouldn't surprise me.

You are so right about using standard stuff for touring. But then I read a
story about a guy who drove a 1972 Jaguar across USA..
The risk is intriguing, and besides I could just go to a library and e-mail
you if I had a problem.

I think that if I can get the allen bolt off the side with the dust seal I'd
be able to put a 2.5mm spacer there, and then space out the drive side with
a collar or bushing that would snug between the female axle and the axle
"bolt/end cap". At the very least I could use these wheels for commuting.

Thanks a million.

Gary