Schwinn vs Huffy

Old December 29th 04, 06:38 PM
Maggie

Mike Jacoubowsky Dec 29, 12:00 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
From: "Mike Jacoubowsky" - Find messages by this
author

So which would you recommend?

What's wrong with American Flyer?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Maggie Dec 29

Isn't that a wooden sled. Wasn't my old sled an American Flyer?
Maggie.
Maybe I am getting senile.

Old December 29th 04, 06:58 PM
Mark Janeba

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Get one that fits. Open bearing assemblies, grease them and adjust
properly. Spend a bit of time lubricating and adjusting the brake and gear
systems. Tension the wheels and ride it.

Visions of Dave Stoller in his garage go dancing through my head...

With the dramatic "BIG" music playing in the background, coming to a
crescendo just as the scene cuts to the little 500... ah, yes.

Mark Janeba

Old December 29th 04, 08:43 PM

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
From: "Mike Jacoubowsky" - Find messages by this
author

So which would you recommend?

What's wrong with American Flyer?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Maggie Dec 29

Isn't that a wooden sled. Wasn't my old sled an American Flyer?
Maggie.
Maybe I am getting senile.

Dear Maggie,

Yes, there was an American Flyer sled, as well as the
bicycle brand.

Let's not tell anyone what "Rosebud" really meant to Hearst.
The sled explanation is much better suited to the children,
and Marion might sue us.

Orson Welles
Old December 29th 04, 10:45 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Learning toward one or the other for buying a new dept store bicycle.

Buy a much better used bike for the same amount of money, out of the
local newpaper ads.

Old December 29th 04, 11:29 PM
Eric Vey

--at 10k miles it's time to put Huffy to pasture and get a new
Huffy/roadmaster/schwinn--

Probably, but so what? A Giant (for example) costs 5-6 times more. So in
theory, the Giant will get 50-60,000 miles without major repairs? I
don't think so.
Old December 29th 04, 11:32 PM
spoking

Wow. Just for fun, i'm gonna reply to this one. Even tho i am
completely a roadie, and everything I own now is fitted to a T, I
believe there is a place for dept store mass production machines.
Caveat - they are mostly wear-em-out-and-throw-em-away. Don't worry
about Huffy or Schwinn, go for price. Don't get fancy shocks. Don't do
stunts on it. Avoid potholes and riding off curbs. Make sure it fits,
and the instant the saddle gets uncomfortable, replace it with a better
one. Experiment with saddles. If your commute is 5 miles, maybe you'll
never have a problem.

When I was a child my parents bought me a few various "English"
3-speeds. I didn't like em and always wanted what the other kids had -
Sting-Rays. The first bike I had I considered to be mine I stole from
my sister - she had moved out of the house and left it. That was a
humongously heavy Schwinn girls cruiser - but it had a basket, and I
had a newspaper route that I had to deliver to make money, and there
was no other bike in the house at the time. My second bike I got after
high school, and once again used to commute to work - it was a dept
store cheapo 10-speed, and it saw a couple of hard summers of commuting
to work, and even some non-summer commutes. The bike held up long
enough, and served its purpose. At that time I had no spare parts bin
to rebuild a used bike, and didn't have the knowledge or desire to do
so either. It worked, I worked, and we got along just fine. When the
seat stay (part of the frame) broke away from the rest of the frame, my
kid brother braised it back, and 'inherited' the bike that way. Overall
miles, it didn't go that far, but it went far enough, and the price was
right.

Knobbies vs. slicks? Unless you're doing sloppy dirt, do the slicks.
The skinniest lightest tire that will give you a ride without going
flat or sinking into your "road" surface is a good way to think about
it. Riding roads in Africa or Mongolia? Get fat thick tires. Not going
there? hmmm.

You know, Ron H doesn't get a lot of respect around here, but on this
topic I agree with him.

Have a great day;
Mark

Old December 29th 04, 11:58 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Isn't that a wooden sled. Wasn't my old sled an American Flyer?
Maggie.
Maybe I am getting senile.

Maybe, but I might be getting there first. Might have been American Eagle.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mike Jacoubowsky Dec 29, 12:00 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Old December 30th 04, 12:41 AM
Werehatrack

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
From: "Mike Jacoubowsky" - Find messages by this
author

So which would you recommend?

What's wrong with American Flyer?

http://americanflyerbicycle.com/

Hmmm. Interesting. They claim that their road bike is equipped with
"Kenda Kontender Ceramic Tires".

That should yield some novel rebound rates on bumps.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 30th 04, 01:25 AM
Mark Weaver

"Donald Gillies" wrote in message
I took a close look at a department store Schwinn a month ago,

http://search.bikelist.org/query.asp...MsgDate%5Ba%5D

Specifically, the $108 schwinn hybrid at Target. Unlike earlier
department store bikes that had obvious manufacturing compromises
(e.g. cheap soft steel brakes that bent every time they were used,
steel rims, lead-pipe frames, suicide extension levers), modern
dept. store bikes have closed a tremendous gap with bike shop bikes.

I bought one of those for my kid. Heck of a deal, IMHO. Frame seems fine,
components are the same as on low end LBS bikes. My kid (like a lot of
13-year-olds) doesn't take care of things very well, leaves the bike out in
the rain, often forgets to take a lock, etc, so I was happy to be able to
get a pretty decent bike for such a small sum.

If you compare the Schwinns to the Huffys, though, there are some pretty
significant differences -- the Huffys I've seen do *not* use the same
components as low-end LBS bikes. You'll see stamped-steel caliper brakes
instead of aluminum linear brakes, a single piece crank instead of a
3-piece, possibly steel wheels instead of alloy, and so on.

Although I don't own one, these bikes are probably not fun or
practical to work on or tune. They are designed to be manufactured
cheaply, used until the parts fail or go out of the adjustment, and
then thrown away. Don't expect to get it fixed cheaply at a normal
bike shop. Work on it yourself, if at all.

Nah, really no better or worse than a low-end LBS bike--the components are
the same. I didn't have any trouble adjusting it after I bought it.

Mark

Schwinn vs Huffy PSB General 55 January 6th 05 05:36 AM
Bicycle maker Huffy seeks shield Garrison Hilliard General 4 October 22nd 04 02:25 PM
Low end schwinn... rick General 14 August 11th 04 03:59 PM
Schwinn Backpedaling Garrison Hilliard General 11 March 24th 04 02:27 PM
Schwinn Backpedaling Garrison Hilliard Techniques 9 March 22nd 04 05:31 AM