Police pick on cyclist

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 1st 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Police pick on cyclist

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:09:40 +0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

If he'd given his name and address rather than acting like a silly
bugger he'd probably have got away with an informal caution.

Acting like a silly bugger can be a help.

In my much younger days I had an interesting encounter with the police
and played a silly bugger...

My front light was faulty - it needed a bang on its side to get it
working. At about 2am I was at a set of red lights very close to my
home with a police car behind me. There was no other traffic and I
went straight over. The police car followed, it flashed and put on
its blue lights, I ignored it and turned into my service road and to
my front door. The police parked up and confronted me.

They challenged my lack of a front light, and I showed them that it
worked. They challenged that I went through the red lights, I claimed
they were green. The challenged that I did not stop, I claimed I did
not know they wanted me to stop as I couldn't see behind me. There
was a bit of other stuff that I can't recall. They asked for my name
and address, I gave them my name and said (in a silly bugger way), "My
address is here".

Some nine months later I received a threat of bailiffs if I didn't pay
the fine (I can't recall the amount) for shooting lights, no lights at
night and failing to comply with a request to stop. I didn't even
know I'd been taken to court.

Because I had played silly buggers the police copied down my neigbours
address, not mine, and I never received the summons (at that time a
pair of prostitutes were living in the flat above mine and they had
never passed on the court summons). Because I never had the chance to
defend myself the conviction and fine were quashed.

Perhaps I'm a lucky bugger, not just a silly bugger. ;-)

**Troll bait** - I will welcome some relevant and pertinent
statistical blurb from judith demonstrating that he has a clear
understanding of statistics. I, and others, will read his post with
careful scrutiny, and be so awed that we shall not respond.

Mystery Cyclist turns themselves over to Police... Gemma_k Australia 5 June 15th 06 11:56 AM
BBC - Cyclist Chased & Hit by Police car Adrian Boliston UK 39 September 20th 05 12:41 PM
Police officer injures cyclist David Hansen UK 5 June 4th 05 08:59 PM
Police kill cyclist MSeries UK 22 July 14th 04 01:27 PM
Chatting to a Police Cyclist Today [Not Responding] UK 14 June 19th 04 12:08 AM