Routes Paddington to Waterloo

Old October 28th 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gwyn Oakley

Default Routes Paddington to Waterloo

Hi Group,

Next week I have to get from Paddington to Waterloo Station. I will be
using my Brompton and I am looking for suggestions for the 'best' route
to take and an idea of how long. My train is supposed to arrive in
Paddington a 11am.

Thanks for suggestions

Gwyn

--
Gwyn
Old October 28th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Gwyn Oakley wrote on 28/10/2006 23:18 +0100:
Hi Group,

Next week I have to get from Paddington to Waterloo Station. I will be
using my Brompton and I am looking for suggestions for the 'best' route
to take and an idea of how long. My train is supposed to arrive in
Paddington a 11am.

Thanks for suggestions

Gwyn

I would go through Hyde Park to Hyde Park corner, down Constitution Hill
to Buck Palace and then (although it is slightly longer) down the Mall,
across the back of Downing St on Horse Guards Rd, into Westminster Sq,
across Westminster Bridge, along Belvedere Rd and into Waterloo up
Concert Hall Approach.

Its about 4 miles so allow 30 mins to catch your train with navigation
(longer if you don't know your way round London)

You can get detailed directions by putting Paddington Station and
Waterloo Train Station into the London Cycle Network and Minor Roads
Planner at http://www.cyclemaps.net/index.html - except it takes the
more direct route down Birdcage Walk rather than the Mall.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old October 28th 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 23:18:40 +0100, Gwyn Oakley
wrote:

Hi Group,

Next week I have to get from Paddington to Waterloo Station. I will be
using my Brompton and I am looking for suggestions for the 'best' route
to take and an idea of how long. My train is supposed to arrive in
Paddington a 11am.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use..._TRIP_REQUEST2

Fill in Paddington and Waterloo, scroll to the bottom and click "I
want a cycle only option" and hit search.

Look at the map and decide if you want to follow its suggested route,
but it's mostly good with a gentle meander across Hyde, Green and
around St James's Parks, though the suggested route to the north of St
James's Park seems particularly daft.

Thanks for suggestions

Old October 28th 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

wrote:

Hi Group,

Next week I have to get from Paddington to Waterloo Station. I will be
using my Brompton and I am looking for suggestions for the 'best' route
to take and an idea of how long. My train is supposed to arrive in
Paddington a 11am.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use..._TRIP_REQUEST2

Fill in Paddington and Waterloo, scroll to the bottom and click "I
want a cycle only option" and hit search.

Yet again a nonsense route from the TfL planner I'm afraid. It takes a
weird route to Hyde Park corner, and although I agree with the slightly
longer Mall, what on earth is it doing at the end? Then instead of
taking the front door to Waterloo Station of up Concert Hall Approach
and up the ramp to the platforms, it does a detour all the way round the
back of the station as if you were a car. I've never yet got a route
out of that planner that made sense.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old October 29th 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Tony Raven wrote:
Gwyn Oakley wrote on 28/10/2006 23:18 +0100:
Hi Group,
Next week I have to get from Paddington to Waterloo Station. I will be
using my Brompton and I am looking for suggestions for the 'best' route
to take and an idea of how long. My train is supposed to arrive in
Paddington a 11am.

Thanks for suggestions

Depends a bit how confident you are.

When I do it I turn right out of the station, across to Edgware Road,
down to Marble Arch, then down Park Lane (slightly downhill with a
wide bus lane).

I would go through Hyde Park to Hyde Park corner, down Constitution Hill
to Buck Palace and then (although it is slightly longer) down the Mall,
across the back of Downing St on Horse Guards Rd, into Westminster Sq,

I tend to prefer Birdcage Walk, which is the slightly shorter way to
Parliament Square, but involves crossing a lane or two in front of the
palace.

across Westminster Bridge, along Belvedere Rd and into Waterloo up
Concert Hall Approach.

I'd go York Road as long as you can go the short way round the
roundabout. Or for low-numbered platforms you head under the tracks
and turn left onto the way the red arrows (used to?) go in.

Going back I probably would use Belvedere Rd to avoid a detour round
the ex-roundabout. Or at quietish times Waterloo Bridge, Strand, Mall,
can be OK, and avoids going all the way round Parliament Square.

In this direction I do go through Hyde Park, because it's uphill and
cuts off a corner. Halfway along the top side there's a crossing which
leads to a wiggly back street route to the station.

Getting round Hyde Park Corner from Constitution Hill to the cycle
path through the arch into the park is not for the faint-hearted, but
because of signal timings is usually much faster than the horse/cycle
route through the arch in the middle.

Its about 4 miles so allow 30 mins to catch your train with navigation
(longer if you don't know your way round London)

Agreed.

Worth getting a London Cycle Guide map 10. Paddington is just off the
edge of the central London map on the back of all the guides.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Old October 29th 06, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gwyn Oakley

Thank you for the input now for some more questions

wrote:

Hi Group,

Next week I have to get from Paddington to Waterloo Station. I will be
using my Brompton and I am looking for suggestions for the 'best' route
to take and an idea of how long. My train is supposed to arrive in
Paddington a 11am.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use..._TRIP_REQUEST2

Fill in Paddington and Waterloo, scroll to the bottom and click "I
want a cycle only option" and hit search.

Now I have found my old A to Z I can see the suggested routes. TFL route
a the end of the Mall seems a bit complex...

Yet again a nonsense route from the TfL planner I'm afraid. It takes a
weird route to Hyde Park corner, and although I agree with the slightly
longer Mall, what on earth is it doing at the end? Then instead of
taking the front door to Waterloo Station of up Concert Hall Approach
and up the ramp to the platforms, it does a detour all the way round the
back of the station as if you were a car. I've never yet got a route
out of that planner that made sense.

I like the idea of going across Hyde Park rather than Edgware Road /
Park Lane, but what is the best way from Paddington to Hyde Park? The
obvious is right out of the station onto Praed Street then Left down
Westbourne Terrace, Sussex Gardens and Westbourne Street. Any gotchas to
be aware of?

Tony, what isthe advantage of The Mall compared with Birdcage Walk? Are
there any hassles with turning right into Horse guards Road?

Finally the entrance to Waterloo, I hadn't realised just how big the
place was - website says 24 acres - is there any reason not to use the
entrance on Westminster Bridge Road. I will be heading for Eurostar.

Cheers Gwyn

--
Gwyn
Old October 29th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gwyn Oakley

In message
Colin McKenzie wrote:

Tony Raven wrote:
Gwyn Oakley wrote on 28/10/2006 23:18 +0100:
Hi Group,
Next week I have to get from Paddington to Waterloo Station. I will be
using my Brompton and I am looking for suggestions for the 'best' route
to take and an idea of how long. My train is supposed to arrive in
Paddington a 11am.

Thanks for suggestions

Depends a bit how confident you are.

Well I used to ride a lot through central Manchester and that was good
fun BUT I am a bit well a lot older now and distinctly out of practise
riding in a big city...

When I do it I turn right out of the station, across to Edgware Road,
down to Marble Arch, then down Park Lane (slightly downhill with a
wide bus lane).

I see the route but I think I prefer the Hyde Park option

[...]

Well I have 45 mins so that should be ok as long as the train to
Paddington is not late

Worth getting a London Cycle Guide map 10. Paddington is just off the
edge of the central London map on the back of all the guides.

Colin McKenzie

Thanks guys

--
Gwyn
Old October 29th 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 12:25:39 +0100, Gwyn Oakley
wrote:

Tony, what isthe advantage of The Mall compared with Birdcage Walk? Are
there any hassles with turning right into Horse guards Road?

It's a wierd juction, but not a problem.
http://tinyurl.com/y5xdb2 from
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...03616&t=k&om=1

But Tony is right, the Mall then right into Horse Guards, then left
towards Parliament Square is a nice option. Going around Trafalgar
Square, as TFL route planner suggests, is simply nuts.

Finally the entrance to Waterloo, I hadn't realised just how big the
place was - website says 24 acres - is there any reason not to use the
entrance on Westminster Bridge Road. I will be heading for Eurostar.

Have a look at the satallite photo. Ideally you'll want to get to the
point in the centre of this image.
http://tinyurl.com/yyrafa from
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...00071,0.001808

The lifts from road level to station level are big enough to take a
bike IIRC.
Old October 29th 06, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gwyn Oakley

wrote:

Tony, what isthe advantage of The Mall compared with Birdcage Walk? Are
there any hassles with turning right into Horse guards Road?

It's a wierd juction, but not a problem.
http://tinyurl.com/y5xdb2 from
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...03616&t=k&om=1

But Tony is right, the Mall then right into Horse Guards, then left
towards Parliament Square is a nice option. Going around Trafalgar
Square, as TFL route planner suggests, is simply nuts.

OK looks straightforward

Finally the entrance to Waterloo, I hadn't realised just how big the
place was - website says 24 acres - is there any reason not to use the
entrance on Westminster Bridge Road. I will be heading for Eurostar.

Have a look at the satallite photo. Ideally you'll want to get to the
point in the centre of this image.
http://tinyurl.com/yyrafa from
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF...00071,0.001808

The lifts from road level to station level are big enough to take a
bike IIRC.

Looking at this and the Waterloo Station map looks like I will be best
to go up York and enter from North.

Thanks for all your help will report back when I return

Gwyn

--
Gwyn
Old October 29th 06, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Gwyn Oakley wrote on 29/10/2006 11:25 +0100:

I like the idea of going across Hyde Park rather than Edgware Road /
Park Lane, but what is the best way from Paddington to Hyde Park? The
obvious is right out of the station onto Praed Street then Left down
Westbourne Terrace, Sussex Gardens and Westbourne Street. Any gotchas to
be aware of?

Out of the front left corner of the station - up the road to Praed St
lights. Go effectively straight on down London St and across into
Sussex Place. Sort of straight on to the left into Hyde Park Sq and
onto Connaught St for a 1st left onto Albion St. This goes to a
crossing into Hyde Park where you turn left along the road and then
before you get to Marble Arch you cross the road to fork right on a park
path that cuts across the NE corner of the park and then all the way
down to Hyde Park Corner. Double crossing into the centre of Hyde Park
Corner cycling under the arch. Then if when you cross to Constitution
Hill you stay left there is a cycle path runs down inside Green Park,
round the edge of the roundabout at the bottom and then up the Mall on a
closed road parallel to the Mall. The turn right at the end is quite
easy - the traffic tends to come in waves with big gaps. The really
tricky part is from Gt George St onto Westminster Bridge because there
is a lot traffic crossing lanes to go every which way. Just make sure
you stick in the centre of your lane and cycle assertively - or its a
short push if you want to bail out.

Finally as you come off the bridge look for the traffic light crossing
and you need to turn left onto the pavement at the crossing and then
look for the dropped kerb onto Belevedere St. Cycle along there and
turn right just after the railway bridge, veer right through the
bollards through the tunnel, cross the road and Waterloo is right there
in front of you. For Waterloo International, don't go up the ramp but
bear right following the taxis to their drop off.

Tony, what isthe advantage of The Mall compared with Birdcage Walk? Are
there any hassles with turning right into Horse guards Road?

It saves having to negotiate the Buck Palace roundabout and its an
impressive cycle up the Mall.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci