Barry's Ride. 10, 25 and 50 mile charity ride Rhinebeck, NY Oct 14

Old September 25th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

Default Barry's Ride. 10, 25 and 50 mile charity ride Rhinebeck, NY Oct 14

This will be my third year riding in this event.

That may be hard to believe since it's called, The Second Annual
Barry's Ride for Children. But they had changed the organization last
year and the name changed.

'Link to the ride site'
(http://www.barrysrideforchildren.com/about1.html)

The money raised from the event will benefit the children at the Astor
Home in Rhinebeck, NY.

Registration:
$30.00 early, postmarked before Oct. 8.
$40.00 up to the day of the event on Oct 14.

The rides:
10 miles, 10:00am (that's what I ride)
25 miles, 9:30am
50 miles. 9:00am

The event is Sunday Oct. 14 with a rain date of Oct. 21.

The rides begin and end at The Astor Home for Children, 6339 Mill St.
Rhinebeck, NY 12572

Directions: Along route 9. About a quarter mile south of the Rhinebeck
town traffic light, on the right.

Helmets are mandatory.

A BBQ follows the ride.

The first time I rode two years ago there was probably a 100 riders
(one unicyclist). Last year they had reorganized, there were probably
only 10, (one unicyclist). I was told last year that the organization
members had worked out their differences, and next year (this year)
they would be working together again. So I'm hoping there will be a
large turnout (of unicycles).

Registration is 8:00am to 10:30am the day of the ride.

Each route gives the riders plenty of scenic roads coupled with autumn
beauty in Dutchess county. The terrain is rolling to hilly with some
winding roads.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... I say it's a great exercise. They say it's a mid-life thing.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 25th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Maybe...

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 10th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

The ride is this Sunday, and the weather report is looking good.

Last year was a great ride, and I'm looking forward to giving it
another roll.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 14th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

I'm planning to start at ~9:30am with the 25 mile riders, and do the 10
mile route (which formally starts at 10am), so I get back about the
same time as the bikers.

I haven't heard of other unicyclist planning to show, but it would be a
great surprise.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 14th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Sorry Ken, I'm not going to make it.

Have a great ride.

Old October 14th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oneisenough

this stinks... if i knew about it earlier i would have gone... but it's
10 now and i cant drive myself. I didnt go on the forums for like a
month... thats prob why i missed it. It sounds like it would have been
fun though.

--
oneisenough

Plaeze x-cuze mi spelin' (If its wrong)
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 15th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

Sorry you guys missed the ride, it happens every year about this time.
I'll try to post it again next year.

Berry's Ride:

Berry's ride was great. The weather was fine (50F at the swart to 60F
at the end), the route was scenic, and the roads were good. The 10 mile
ride took a side street roads from the start for about a mile to meet
up with nice rural roads. The rural road head down to the Rhinebeck
train station at the Hudson river. The first few miles were fairly
level, but then the road became hilly, slight, reasonable rolling hills
down to the river which is half way. The way back to remains hilly,
passed by a farm with some impressive large cows. The ride provides
pleasant views the entire route, passing ponds, old houses, the Hudson
river, parks and woodlands. There were very few cars passing along the
route.

The riders were particularly friendly, asking about the big 36 inch
wheel, and they are were clearly impressed. Even the host Berry, showed
off that the cover of the CD with pictures of past rides, featured a
picture of a unicyclist/Nimbus 36 as the cover of the cd.

Ken's Ride

Let me start by pointing out that last year, I rode the entire route on
my Nimbus 36 without a dismount. I felt great afterward. With this
year's ride following the same route, and I had equally high hopes.

But, I knew I was in trouble when my right leg was unusually pained
within the second mile, especially since the ride so far was flat. Long
story short, is that this year I walked up several hills, and was
pained and exhausted at the end. Even so, I enjoyed the ride.

We all received a nice T-shirt out of the deal, I met some great
riders, and am looking forward next year. The turnout to Berry's ride
was big, I'd guess 30-50 riders, certainly double from last year, and
those folks plan to be back.

All and All,

I'm looking forward to next year's ride. The ride is gaining back the
momentum it had prior to the reorganization. I expect it to double
again in size next year. Berry and the kids really deserve the support.
I heard that last years proceeds hardly covered much more that cost of
the ride. Berry made up a significant difference getting the promised
bicycles for the kids.

I must admit $30-$40 seems expensive for a ride, but I'm getting to
know the folks running the event, and I can see that they really want
to help these kids. Heck, maybe one of these years the kids will get a
unicycle gift from the proceeds.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 15th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Ken - thanks for the writeup. Hope your leg feels better, but at least
you had beautiful fall weather for your ride. I'll try to attend next
year's event.

Old October 15th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

Hey, Thank you Steve. That would be great if you could show. I only wish
could ride the route you would.

My leg is still sore, but getting better. I had changed from a std uni
seat post to rail adapter post the day before the ride and
inadvertently mounted the seat low. This was just stupid since I had a
similar problem, with the seat low, just a week ago. I also need to
include more hills on my regular circuit.

BTW, in my write up, the word 'swart' should have be 'start'.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 16th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oneisenough

sounds like it would have been fun, but i think it would have been a
killer ride on a 20 , but hopefully ill have a cruiser + next
year . thanks for the write up.