Road rage incident this morning - advice?

Old March 31st 09, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

Default Road rage incident this morning - advice?

Hi all, long time no see.

This morning I was commuting in from Strathaven to East Kilbride along
the A726; this is a two lane road, mainly rural, no significant hills
but plenty of short climbs. At that time in the morning it's quite
busy, and traffic is often fast. I was wearing a fluorescent yellow
jacket.

There were a series of cars which passed closer than I liked, so I
moved out into the primary position. At a point where the road was
clear, a blue-grey Peugeot 405 came past, with a young man hanging out
of the passenger window; he shouted abuse at me. This happens from
time to time and I ignored it. About a mile further on I came to the
same car parked at the side of the road. The young man had got out and
was standing in the road about 25 yards behind the car, again yelling
at me for cycling on the road. I stopped, and told him I had a right
to be on the road. He insisted I didn't. I said I was going to take a
photograph of his numberplate, and go to the police. He then head-
butted me; I don't think he broke my nose but it bled pretty
profusely.

Bizarrely he then apologised and started to walk back to the car. I
took the photograph. I then put my phone back in my pocket and got
back on my bike. As I rode past him he ran out into the road and
shoulder-charged me. I did manage to keep the bike upright, but was
thrown right across both carriageways. There was an oncoming car
sufficiently close that if I had fallen I don't think it could have
avoided going over me.

I've seen the police, of course. They were very thorough, did seem to
take the incident quite seriously, and said they would put a patrol
car out on the route tomorrow morning. Unfortunately my photograph was
not good enough to read the numberplate, and in my shaken state I
failed to remember it.

However, the reason I'm writing is this:

I'm scared.

I pretty much have to come in to work along that road - there are
minor road alternatives, but they're all longer. Indeed, I have to
cycle back along it tonight. My assailant also, so he said, regularly
uses that road. I do have a car, I could drive in. But I have a
feeling that if I don't ride in tomorrow, then with each day that
passes it's going to get harder. And I do not want to be bullied out
of my morning commute.

In the medium term I could change where I stay during the week - I
don't live in Strathaven, I just stay in a B&B there when I'm working
in East Kilbride (which is about half the time) and so change to a
different commute - but I like the place where I stay. But it's not
really a solution because idiots are everywhere.

So - advice? What would you do?

Old March 31st 09, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_9_]

Simon Brooke wrote:
[...]

I smell a troll - this car travelled a MILE before it pulled over, and
the passenger was WAITING for you to arrive so he could throw abuse?
Sounds much more likely that you caught up with him and initiated a
confrontation. And at that point, what were you taking a photograph of
his plate FOR, precisely? Not having the same viewpoint as you? If you
caught up with him and started arguing about him saying "get out of the
way you ****" or similar, and then came out with some self-righteous
**** like "I'm photographing your plate and reporting you to the
police", I cant say that I'm surprised it developed into a physical
issue. I'm not saying I condone it, just that you cant be surprised if
it happens. If you're not ready for that, I'd suggest you dont get into
arguments with motorists you catch up with. If I'm wrong and he simply
sat at the side of the road for ten minutes waiting for you to catch up
(and just HOPED that you'd not have turned off in the meantime), then
fair do's I got it wrong. But I challenge any of the regs to read my
version and yours, and say that yours is more 'likely'...
Old March 31st 09, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Simon Brooke twisted the electrons to say:
So - advice? What would you do?

If you've got it / can get it maybe different colour hi-vis? That way
you may appear to them as a different person. (Though whether that would
be an advantage or not I'm not sure.)

If what you believe is the same car is waiting for you at some point
tomorrow, stop when you can read the number plate and dial 999? (And if
they say no police officers are available shout something like "**** he's
got a weapon!" and hang up. Then wait for the armed response unit to
turn up! :-)

Longer term? Something like this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defence-Spra.../dp/B001LPYFQ8
Old March 31st 09, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message

I pretty much have to come in to work along that road - there are
minor road alternatives, but they're all longer. Indeed, I have to
cycle back along it tonight. My assailant also, so he said, regularly
uses that road. I do have a car, I could drive in. But I have a
feeling that if I don't ride in tomorrow, then with each day that
passes it's going to get harder. And I do not want to be bullied out
of my morning commute.

In the medium term I could change where I stay during the week - I
don't live in Strathaven, I just stay in a B&B there when I'm working
in East Kilbride (which is about half the time) and so change to a
different commute - but I like the place where I stay. But it's not
really a solution because idiots are everywhere.

So - advice? What would you do?

Honestly? As someone who takes no **** from anyone, I would take the car for
a few days, maybe a week. Chew the whole thing over. Think how I might have
avoided making a bad situation any worse than it was.

There are some roads which are just a nightmare from a cyclists point of
view. It sounds like this is one of them. If you take the lane the cagers
get upset because they want you to move over. But if you move over, they
reward you by overtaking too close or running you off the road.

One thing I have found that helps in this situation is to take the lane, but
as soon as there is a gap in the oncoming traffic, pull over and with the
right arm give a big wave to tell them to pass, as if to say "overtake now,
now is a good time, you unthinking moron" but as soon as the gap is gone,
get back into primary and block. They don't like it but at least you are
relatively safe. Apart from the road ragers that is.

I have seriously considered carrying a baseball bat for protection from
these morons when they decide to set upon the silly cyclist in the middle of
the road. The only thing that stops me is that I know I would use it.

If anyone has a better suggestion I'd love to hear it.

Old March 31st 09, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Hi all, long time no see.

I stopped, and told him I had a right
to be on the road.

So - advice? What would you do?

In the words of the old irish joke, I would not start from here.

Your mistake was stopping and conversing with a neanderthal in full
agression mode.

Waht to do wrt meeting him again?

Keep on file the photograph you have and log as much info as possible with
plod

pk

Old March 31st 09, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

In the medium term I could change where I stay during the week - I
don't live in Strathaven, I just stay in a B&B there when I'm working
in East Kilbride (which is about half the time) and so change to a
different commute - but I like the place where I stay. But it's not
really a solution because idiots are everywhere.

So - advice? What would you do?

Hell fire, Simon. What an awful experience. I've never had a physical attack
like that, hope you are not badly injured. Whatever you do, don't be bullied
out of riding on the road. By taking to the car you will be doubly
miserable; stuck in your car when the weather is picking up and you would
still be feeling the trauma of the attack inside your head.

You have done all you can by reporting it to the police, all you can do now
is to put it to the back of your head. In time it will pass and you will get
your confidence back, don't worry about that. I remember crashing on a patch
of diesel and smashing my head on the road a few years ago. My confidence
was shot and I was scared of it happening again, so I was frightened of
bends in the wet.

In time, I got over it as I have in all of the near misses and abuse from
drivers I have suffered over the years. The benefits to my health and self
esteem I have from my fit body makes up for the few bad things you have to
go through from time to time.

Just put it behind you and in time you will forget it. Take care.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old March 31st 09, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

mileburner wrote:

I have seriously considered carrying a baseball bat for protection from
these morons when they decide to set upon the silly cyclist in the middle of
the road. The only thing that stops me is that I know I would use it.

If anyone has a better suggestion I'd love to hear it.

Here's a better suggestion: don't carry a baseball bat.

Taxi-drivers carrying a baseball bat in their cabs have been prosecuted for
possession of an offensive weapon (even though it was carried for defence).
Old March 31st 09, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

JNugent wrote:
mileburner wrote:

I have seriously considered carrying a baseball bat for protection
from these morons when they decide to set upon the silly cyclist in
the middle of the road. The only thing that stops me is that I know I
would use it.

If anyone has a better suggestion I'd love to hear it.

Here's a better suggestion: don't carry a baseball bat.

Taxi-drivers carrying a baseball bat in their cabs have been prosecuted
for possession of an offensive weapon (even though it was carried for
defence).

How do you defend with a baseball bat?

Nunchaku, I can understand, a side-handle baton, yes, I can even see a
case for a Sai, but a baseball bat?
Old March 31st 09, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"mileburner" wrote in message
There are some roads which are just a nightmare from a cyclists point of
view. It sounds like this is one of them. If you take the lane the cagers
get upset because they want you to move over. But if you move over, they
reward you by overtaking too close or running you off the road.

What I do if there is a car close to my back wheel wanting to get past is to
start fidgeting on the bike like checking your back pocket all the time. Put
your arm out and pat your back pocket, you seem to get more room.

Old March 31st 09, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"pk" wrote in message
"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Hi all, long time no see.

I stopped, and told him I had a right
to be on the road.

So - advice? What would you do?

In the words of the old irish joke, I would not start from here.

Your mistake was stopping and conversing with a neanderthal in full
agression mode.

Yes, you are right, but it has happened now.