MA3 rim worn out joy

Old May 16th 08, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

Default MA3 rim worn out joy

I was pleasantly surprised to discover my rear rim had worn out in a
non-catastrophic manner. The MA3 isn't a plain box-section, but has a couple
of extra bits meaning it's got three holes - see picture of the replacement
here

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/O...rt.323975.aspx

(different name, same basic section).

What appears to have happened is I wore through the bottom half of the brake
track first, so a gap appeared there. The tyre pressure pushed the sides
out, so it bulged a bit (which told me it was worn out), but it didn't split
catastrophically as it was all held together by the inner web.

When I let the tyres down to take it all apart for a new rim, the gap opened
up amusingly - there's not much metal in quite a lot of that rim :-)

cheers,
clive

Old May 18th 08, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian G

Clive George wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised to discover my rear rim had worn out in a
non-catastrophic manner. The MA3 isn't a plain box-section, but has a
couple of extra bits meaning it's got three holes - see picture of the
replacement here

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/O...rt.323975.aspx

(different name, same basic section).

What appears to have happened is I wore through the bottom half of the
brake track first, so a gap appeared there.

Do you do a lot of rear braking? Or was the wheel of some considerable
age? Any rear wheels I've lost have been through spoke fatigue or hub
failure. I don't remember wearing out a rim.

Anyway, glad there was no catastrophe to report.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk
Old May 18th 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Brian G" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised to discover my rear rim had worn out in a
non-catastrophic manner. The MA3 isn't a plain box-section, but has a
couple of extra bits meaning it's got three holes - see picture of the
replacement here

http://www.mavic.com/road/products/O...rt.323975.aspx

(different name, same basic section).

What appears to have happened is I wore through the bottom half of the
brake track first, so a gap appeared there.

Do you do a lot of rear braking? Or was the wheel of some considerable
age? Any rear wheels I've lost have been through spoke fatigue or hub
failure. I don't remember wearing out a rim.

Don't do a lot of braking. Rim is about 17000 miles old, year round use.
Might have had some harsh blocks on it at one point. They do seem to wear
out faster these days though.

(it's on the second hub (flange failure), but I think original spokes).

cheers,
clive

Old May 18th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian G

Clive George wrote:
"Brian G" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. I'd think 17k miles is a decent turn for a modern alloy
rim. Our old steel rims seemed to last forever, but then they tended to
slide sedately between the brake blocks even at white-knuckle grip on
the lever!

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

Perhaps she should have worn a helmet David Hansen UK 34 February 23rd 08 09:16 PM
Worn Cassette cyclingguy Techniques 33 September 15th 06 01:51 PM
Worn headstem? DaveB Australia 11 September 17th 05 03:42 PM
Chainwheels are worn out when ? [email protected] Techniques 6 October 22nd 04 12:24 PM
More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn? Suzy Jackson Australia 5 August 22nd 03 07:42 AM