Bike cops sneak up on non-handicapped

Old December 28th 09, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bike cops sneak up on non-handicapped

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...icleid=1221552

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 28th 09, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 12/27/2009 11:41 PM, wrote:
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...icleid=1221552

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

I love the last line-

“For the people who need these spaces, this isn’t a convenience or a
luxury, it’s a necessity,” Kaprielian said. “What these (violators) are
doing is denying people equality.”

Denying them their designated parking spaces?
What a ****ing idiot.
~
Old December 28th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"DougC" wrote: Denying them their designated parking spaces?
What a ****ing idiot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's right. It's really stupid to be handicapped.

Old December 28th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"DougC" wrote: Denying them their designated parking spaces?
What a ****ing idiot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's right. It's really stupid to be handicapped.

No, apparently it's stupid to defend the rights of the handicapped.
Old December 28th 09, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Peter Cole wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"DougC" wrote: *

["For the people who need these spaces, this isn't a convenience
or a luxury, it's a necessity, Kaprielian said. What these (violators)
are doing is denying people equality."]

Denying them their designated parking spaces?

What a ****ing idiot.

That's right. *It's really stupid to be handicapped.

No, apparently it's stupid to defend the rights of the handicapped.

It's funny and incorrect to characterize special treatment or
privilege as "equality". I thought it myself when I read the
article.

First come, first served is equality. Every man for himself is
equality. You snooze, you lose is equality. There are certain
drawbacks to equal treatment, but the fact that such drawbacks exist
does not make it equality when we give advantages to the weak. It may
be just, but it's not equal.

If I were a double amputee or otherwise profoundly crippled, I would
be insulted by the suggestion that letting me park closer to my
destination somehow conferred equality upon me.

Chalo
Old December 28th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 28, 2:34*pm, Chalo wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"DougC" wrote: *

[...]

How about making cripple and pregnant parking further away, instead?
Hobbling for a stronger tomorrow!
Old December 28th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Chalo" wrote: (clip) First come, first served is equality. Every man for
himself is
equality. You snooze, you lose is equality. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You have chosen to define equality in a particular way. One person could
say that equality gives every emperor the right to defend his wealth with an
army, and to take what others cannot defend. Someone else, at the other end
of the spectrum, could argue that equality gives everyone the right to share
the wealth created by society.

When the community creates handicapped parking, wheelchair access or
medical care for the indigent, it is intended to give a reasonable life to a
part of society that would otherwise suffer. Freedom from suffering is a
form of equality (that I favor.) You may be in favor of letting people
suffer, but don't claim it is an inherent from of "equality."

Old December 28th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
tonski

On Dec 28, 1:04*pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
[...]

Both ends of the spectrum mentioned above exist in the way Chalo is
arguing for. Everyone sharing wealth is a "what's mine is yours"
perception meaning that parking spot is mine or Joe's as much as it is
a cripple or handicapped person's. The emperor defending his wealth
with an army lives in a fend for yourself world as much as Chalo
mentions.

You can't construe equality to mean whatever suits your needs.
Equality means equal for everyone, not your empathy or perception of
equal opportunity. We can argue semantics all day long.
Old December 29th 09, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"tonski" wrote: (clip) We can argue semantics all day long.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not with you--it's pointless.

Old December 29th 09, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 28, 12:52 pm, landotter wrote:
On Dec 28, 2:34 pm, Chalo wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"DougC" wrote:

[...]

There do seem to be a lot of those special parking permits used by
people whose fundamental impairment appears to be obesity. Seems kind
of ironic, maybe.

Shifters for handicapped riders? !Jones[_3_] Techniques 4 August 15th 08 02:28 PM
Jason Brailow is sponsoring a bike ride for handicapped children [email protected] General 0 June 26th 06 04:13 PM
Bike Cops in WA SteveA Australia 11 December 17th 04 10:42 AM
2006 Specialized bike - sneak preview! Corinne Shulen Mountain Biking 4 November 20th 04 07:39 PM
Bike Cops Gags Australia 60 September 21st 03 06:11 AM