Rohloff Hub On Horizontal Dropouts: Anybody Doing It?

Old December 23rd 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Rohloff Hub On Horizontal Dropouts: Anybody Doing It?

Saw what I thought was a pretty good deal on a Surly 1x1
frame/fork, so I grabbed it - intending to put a Rohloff hub back
there instead of a SS.

Oops.... turns out that Rohloff's "SpeedBone" torque thingie
hangs down and prevents the axle from sliding in.

I guess if one were really determined, one could remove the
SpeedBone and disc caliper every time they needed to change a
tire...

Has anybody gotten around this? I'm thinking the original (very
un-German, IMHO) hose-clamp-enabled torque arm that Rohloff ships
with the hub.

Before I start trying to find one, I was hoping to hear from
somebody who is making it work...
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 23rd 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

I'm using a Rohloff hub with horiz frame ends (open to the rear).
I used the aluminum torque arm that came with the hub,
but made my own clamp (from wood) to attach the arm
to the stay (to avoid the hose clamp look you mention).

It works fine.

My hub takes locknuts, not QR. I thought the Rohloff-supplied
nuts were cheesy looking and replaced them with nicer looking
nuts with integral washers.

Tom Ace
Old December 23rd 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

PeteCresswell wrote:

Saw what I thought was a pretty good deal on a Surly 1x1
frame/fork, so I grabbed it - intending to put a Rohloff hub back
there instead of a SS.

Oops.... turns out that Rohloff's "SpeedBone" torque thingie
hangs down and prevents the axle from sliding in.

I guess if one were really determined, one could remove the
SpeedBone and disc caliper every time they needed to change a
tire...

Has anybody gotten around this? * I'm thinking the original (very
un-German, IMHO) hose-clamp-enabled torque arm that Rohloff ships
with the hub.

My wife's Rohloff-hubbed bike is a 1980s made-in-Japan Schwinn Super
Sport with front-opening horizontal dropouts. I used the stock torque
arm-- which isn't great looking, but is very convenient in that it
allows wheel changes without tools. There are three quick-release
mechanisms to content with-- the skewer, the thumbscrew on the shifter
box, and the push button on the torque arm anchor.

Changing the rear wheel is just as easy on her bike as it is on my
Rohloff-equipped Bohemian MTB, which has the convenient OEM1 torque
tab, but also has a disc brake to contend with.

Chalo
Old December 23rd 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Dec 23, 2:32*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Saw what I thought was a pretty good deal on a Surly 1x1
frame/fork, so I grabbed it - intending to put a Rohloff hub back
there instead of a SS.

Oops.... turns out that Rohloff's "SpeedBone" torque thingie
hangs down and prevents the axle from sliding in.

I guess if one were really determined, one could remove the
SpeedBone and disc caliper every time they needed to change a
tire...

Has anybody gotten around this? * I'm thinking the original (very
un-German, IMHO) hose-clamp-enabled torque arm that Rohloff ships
with the hub.

Before I start trying to find one, I was hoping to hear from
somebody who is making it work...
--
PeteCresswell

Here's a decision path in English to the parts you requi
http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/sp...rch/index.html

Andre Jute
Vertical dropouts sliding in angled (1) slotted frame ends

(1) Angled to preserve the contact between rim brake blocks and rim as
the wheel is slid to tighten the chain -- these Germans think of
everything.
Old December 24th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Chalo:
I used the stock torque
arm-- which isn't great looking, but is very convenient in that it
allows wheel changes without tools.

Tom, Chalo; here's what I've got right now:
http://tinyurl.com/yddbfxl

Wheel changes seem easier than with a vertical dropout.

I'm not in love with those cables hanging down like they are.

How does the angle of the shifter box stack up with yours? Am I
missing something that would give tighter cable arrangement?
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 24th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

On Dec 23, 5:26*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

How does the angle of the shifter box stack up with yours? *Am I
missing something that would give tighter cable arrangement?

I have a different cable box position, made possible by
attaching the torque arm to the seat stay. I don't know
if that would be doable with the brake shown in your pic.
Mine is shown at http://minortriad.com/rororo.jpg

I need an allen wrench to disconnect my torque arm,
but I don't mind because I carry one on the bike anyway
and I don't remove the rear wheel often.

Tom Ace

Old December 24th 09, 07:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

PeteCresswell wrote:

Tom, Chalo; here's what I've got right now:http://tinyurl.com/yddbfxl

Wheel changes seem easier than with a vertical dropout.

I'm not in love with those cables hanging down like they are.

How does the angle of the shifter box stack up with yours? *Am I
missing something that would give tighter cable arrangement?

As Tom Ace points out, you can arrange the torque plate to make the
shifter box arm stick out in whatever direction (in 30 degree
increments).

My wife's angles up roughly perpendicular to the seat stay. I run the
cables with full housings in from the top, along the top tube and down
along the left seat stay. It's pretty tidy. I'd send a picture, but
just now that would involve going out and messing with tarps in cold
gusting wind.

Chalo
Old December 24th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tom Ace:
Mine is shown at http://minortriad.com/rororo.jpg

Looks like that setup has the arm pulling away from the stay
instead of pushing against it. OTOH, spatial relationships are
not my forte.... have I got it right?
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 24th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Chalo:

As Tom Ace points out, you can arrange the torque plate to make the
shifter box arm stick out in whatever direction (in 30 degree
increments).

On mine, the problem is the chain wheel bolts that connect the
reactor bar to the hub plate. They contend with the plate that
the shift box mounts on. If they were flush, I could rotate the
box down to where the cables were coming in more-or-less
horizontally - as in Tom's setup.

I'd think about the stay mount except that I've got a disc brake
back there that precludes it.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 24th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

On Dec 24, 12:32*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Mine is shown athttp://minortriad.com/rororo.jpg

Looks like that setup has the arm pulling away from the stay
instead of pushing against it. * OTOH, spatial relationships are
not my forte.... have I got it right?

In any Rohloff torque arm installation, the arm will
sometimes pull and at other times push on its
attachment, depending on whether the hub is
being used for reduction or increase in gear.

Tom Ace