Bicycles Allowed Use Of Full Lane, The Million Car Challenge Campaign

Old December 19th 09, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default CANDY CORNER: Cute yellow bike nuzzles up to big truck, was Bicycles Allowed Use Of Full Lane, The Million Car Challenge Campaign

Jobst Brandt sent a piccie of his truck having a
family moment with his bike:

*http://i1.tinypic.com/505ukc2.jpg

Cute!

Andre Jute
Kitschmeister
Old December 19th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Dec 19, 4:25*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Gary:

BAUFL launched a bicycle awareness campaign this week athttp://www.baufl..org/
. The mission is to get one million cars driving around with one
million stickers that say bicycles allowed use if full lane and to
advertise the message on web sites and magazine ads. It's something
every cyclist can do to make drivers aware of cyclists right to use
the roads. I'm in, are you?

No way.

Encouraging people who are basically defenseless to provoke total
strangers who can kill or maim them with a flick of the wrist -
and probably beat the rap - strikes me as irresponsible.
--
PeteCresswell

Pete: I'm amazed at this attitude all you Americans have that every
driver is out to kill or maim every cyclist. When sensible guys like
you and Jobst want to give up your rights just so as not to antagonize
people who have no right to be antagonized, something is seriously
wrong on your roads, even in your society. -- Andre Jute
Old December 19th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

In article 997cd1ed-bf2b-4a16-8b04-
,
says...

BAUFL launched a bicycle awareness campaign this week at

http://www.baufl.org/
. The mission is to get one million cars driving around with one
million stickers that say bicycles allowed use if full lane and to
advertise the message on web sites and magazine ads. It's something
every cyclist can do to make drivers aware of cyclists right to use
the roads. I'm in, are you?

In California the relevant part of the Vehicle Code is VC21202.
Paraphrasing, it states a bicycle may have full use of the lane if you can go
at "the normal speed of traffic". Otherwise you should be over to the right
so long as it is safe. If it is not safe then you can use the full lane. There is
more and the law and worth reading.

This is a bad policy/campagin of BAUFL or whatever organization this really
is. Unless your Tour De France material, no amateur bicyclists can ride at
25mph or greater as an average speed. Blocking traffic is unsafe for both
yourself and people in cars. Its rude and on one lane roads forces cars to go
over the double yellow line.

This "campaign" is idiotic, unsafe and will fosrter more discord between
motor vehicles drivers and bicyclists.

Old December 19th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Smith

On Dec 19, 11:24 am, Ronko wrote:
[...]

They aren't saying that you should take the lane at all times, just
that you're entitled to the lane as you state in your message. If
conditions drive me into the lane, I don't want to be contending with
drivers who think they'll be within their rights to run me over.
Unfortunately, that's the mindset that exists among many drivers, and
I believe that this mindset is all that this campaign is trying to
confront.

The stickers do not say "Cyclists should block cars whenever
possible."

I don't understand your and JB's protests except within the context of
the Forrester vs others culture war. The stickers aren't printed for
them - they're for drivers to read.

Old December 19th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary[_7_]

On Dec 19, 12:00*pm, Peter Smith wrote:
On Dec 19, 11:24 am, Ronko wrote:

[...]

P- Hide quoted text -

Peter,

Thats exactly it. The laws are there for everyone to operate safely on
the road. The new federal Bicycles May Use Full Lane signs were just
added to the MUTCD this week. A campaign like this is to create
awareness of the laws that mandated these signs to be used in all
states. As you can see there will be people that disaprove of those
signs being used on the road or anywhere on print or bumpers of cars
for cars to read.
States still may use their own versions as seen on the BAUFL site. The
campaign is clearly aimed at spreading the word about these issues and
not about how someone rides a bike. Still for now most people are
unaware of the laws of with regard to bicycle use on the road.
Old December 19th 09, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

-spam-

Pete Cresswell wrote:
No way.
Encouraging people who are basically defenseless to provoke total
strangers who can kill or maim them with a flick of the wrist - and
probably beat the rap - strikes me as irresponsible.

Jobst Brandt wrote:
Next we need to encourage pedestrians on mountain roads to "take the
lane" and not walk on the bit of pavement outside the road edge stripe
as some do. I see it similar to walking down the center of a standard
48" sidewalk when encountering others going the other way. It is
rude, no matter what the user of a right-of-way does that impairs
other user's solely to demonstrate ones right to be there, especially
when not necessary. NRA all the way.

I was with you up to the slam on NRA.
What the hell do we have to do with this?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 19th 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

-spam-

Jobst Brandt wrote:
Next we need to encourage pedestrians on mountain roads to "take the
lane" and not walk on the bit of pavement outside the road edge stripe
as some do. I see it similar to walking down the center of a standard
48" sidewalk when encountering others going the other way. It is
rude, no matter what the user of a right-of-way does that impairs
other user's solely to demonstrate ones right to be there, especially
when not necessary. NRA all the way.

I was with you up to the slam on NRA.
What the hell do we have to do with this?

When did you start serving food?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Restaurant_Association

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 19th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Dec 19, 3:50*pm, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Pete Cresswell wrote:
[...]

What do you do when you're riding in a lane that's too narrow to
safely share with a passing car?

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 19th 09, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
-spam-

Jobst Brandt wrote:
Next we need to encourage pedestrians on mountain roads to "take the
lane" and not walk on the bit of pavement outside the road edge stripe
as some do. I see it similar to walking down the center of a standard
48" sidewalk when encountering others going the other way. It is
rude, no matter what the user of a right-of-way does that impairs
other user's solely to demonstrate ones right to be there, especially
when not necessary. NRA all the way.

I was with you up to the slam on NRA.
What the hell do we have to do with this?

When did you start serving food?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Restaurant_Association

Tom, you're slipping. I thought you would link this:
http://coat.ncf.ca/our_magazine/links/53/nra_eagle.jpeg

Old December 19th 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 07:14:16 -0800, Gary wrote:

It's
something every cyclist can do to make drivers aware of cyclists right
to use the roads.

How's this regarding driver awareness of cyclists' rights?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAethD1Io_Y

Stephen Bauman