Tube shortage supposed to ease in September.

Old August 17th 20, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Tube shortage supposed to ease in September.

Last week I received an e-mail that said that major tube manufacturers
should have tubes back in stock in September. Most stores and online
sellers are out of stock on a lot of tube sizes.

Right now you can see how there are sellers really gouging for no-name
tubes on Amazon. A Schwalbe tube on eBay can go for $20.

At least there are now plenty of masks, rolls of toilet paper, and
bottles of hand sanitizer.
Old August 18th 20, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 15:25:59 -0700, sms
wrote:

Last week I received an e-mail that said that major tube manufacturers
should have tubes back in stock in September. Most stores and online
sellers are out of stock on a lot of tube sizes.

Right now you can see how there are sellers really gouging for no-name
tubes on Amazon. A Schwalbe tube on eBay can go for $20.

At least there are now plenty of masks, rolls of toilet paper, and
bottles of hand sanitizer.

That is something I've wondered about. Shortages of toilet paper in
the U.S. as while I'm not usually greatly interested in toilet paper
on the supermarket shelves the mention here did prompt me to look and
in two major supermarkets here there were whole isles dedicated to
toilet paper.

Do USians use more toilet paper then we do here? Bigger behind? (The
term "Horse's Ass" does come to mind here) Or is it that toilet paper
is imported from China and The Golden Boy's efforts in provoking the
Yellow Peril led to a shortage of this desperately needed product?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 18th 20, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

Last week I received an e-mail that said that major tube manufacturers
should have tubes back in stock in September. Most stores and online
sellers are out of stock on a lot of tube sizes.

Right now you can see how there are sellers really gouging for no-name
tubes on Amazon. A Schwalbe tube on eBay can go for $20.

At least there are now plenty of masks, rolls of toilet paper, and
bottles of hand sanitizer.

That is something I've wondered about. Shortages of toilet paper in
the U.S. as while I'm not usually greatly interested in toilet paper
on the supermarket shelves the mention here did prompt me to look and
in two major supermarkets here there were whole isles dedicated to
toilet paper.

Stupid Spell Checker. Read Aisles for Isles :-(

Old August 18th 20, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

There wasn't a shortage so much as a misallocation. Half the
product was in offices, schools, restaurants and their
suppliers of institutional package TP. A local grocery
bought toms of that bulk pack product, rewrapped and priced
it and was never out. Others weren't so creative.

See also beer kegs. There was a billion dollars worth of
beer in kegs stranded in various arenas, bars, clubs and
wholesale warehouses which went bad. The beer was a loss but
the brewers mostly wanted their $100+ each kegs back. That
took a while.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 18th 20, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

The toilet paper shortage in Portland was caused by hoarding and occurred before the stay at home order. All sorts of staples were hoarded. Long before I started working from home, buying a bag of rice was difficult.

I'm hoping there is a tube glut when the plague is over because even before the shortage, prices were too high -- and now they're ridiculous.

BIKE RELATED CONTENT! Is that Slime glue any good compared to Rema fluid? It is supposed to be a cold vulcanizing fluid labeled as rubber cement, or so I'm told. It's cheap -- and there are some other cold vulcanizing fluids that aren't as expensive as Rema. Is anyone using an off-brand?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 18th 20, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I had assumed, from posts here, that the problem was, simply, that
the U.S. ran out of toilet paper. Which seemed a puzzle as here the
stores were "full" of it.

Here, beer comes in cans and bottles and while the sale of alcoholic
beverages was banned for a month or so the stacks of cases in MACRO,
the major wholesale store here, weren't hauled away and new stacks
substituted so I assume that beer in bottles must last a while :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 18th 20, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 10:07:56 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
I had assumed, from posts here, that the problem was, simply, that
the U.S. ran out of toilet paper. Which seemed a puzzle as here the
stores were "full" of it.

There was a toilet paper shortage only because people were hoarding toilet paper. And the only reason people were hoarding toilet people and was because people were hoarding toilet paper.

Fashion is weird and powerful.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 18th 20, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 19:28:59 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 10:07:56 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
I had assumed, from posts here, that the problem was, simply, that
the U.S. ran out of toilet paper. Which seemed a puzzle as here the
stores were "full" of it.

There was a toilet paper shortage only because people were hoarding toilet paper. And the only reason people were hoarding toilet people and was because people were hoarding toilet paper.

Fashion is weird and powerful.

- Frank Krygowski

A friend sent some jokes for the new year. One of them was "I can't
believe that people's survival instincts told them to grab toilet
paper" :-)

Another was "I can't believe that the comment "I wouldn't touch
her/him with a 10 foot pole" would become national policy :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 18th 20, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/17/2020 4:23 PM, John B. wrote:

Do USians use more toilet paper then we do here? Bigger behind? (The
term "Horse's Ass" does come to mind here) Or is it that toilet paper
is imported from China and The Golden Boy's efforts in provoking the
Yellow Peril led to a shortage of this desperately needed product?

It was a bizarre reaction to the pandemic that fed on itself. Normally I
expect that most people buy more toilet paper when they only have a few
rolls left. But once the crazy people began panic buying of toilet paper
it made the normal people anxious because they didn't have stockpiles so
they began buying more of it as well.

It is not imported from China, so the BLOTUS (Biggest Liar Of The U.S.)
had nothing to do with the shortage.
Old August 18th 20, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 4:01:46 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

BIKE RELATED CONTENT! Is that Slime glue any good compared to Rema fluid? It is supposed to be a cold vulcanizing fluid labeled as rubber cement, or so I'm told. It's cheap -- and there are some other cold vulcanizing fluids that aren't as expensive as Rema. Is anyone using an off-brand?

-- Jay Beattie.

Wow is it so bad that you have cut back on rubber cement? How much do you use? One or two small tubes a year? Getting cheaper ones will save you a lot ;-)

Lou

He flies through the air with the greatest of ease [email protected] UK 4 February 28th 18 03:57 PM
20" 406 Tube Shortage sms Techniques 2 June 26th 16 07:17 AM
Earn Up To 100's of $ per Day with Ease! clinton General 0 October 30th 07 02:19 PM
Minor hit from vehicle, anyone know how true/round is a head-tube supposed to be? Pete Grey Techniques 4 August 9th 07 09:20 PM
Ease traffic congestion - ban cycles! vernon.levy UK 2 January 1st 04 11:46 AM