Torygraph argues that driving crime is not real crime...

Old August 24th 04, 10:21 AM
Peter Clinch

Melanie wrote:

Being new here, can someone tell me whether I should be flatterd :-)

If you feel being likened to one of .uk Usenet's most prestigously
bonkers loons with a home in an alternative reality where speed has no
bearing on safety is flattering, then yes. Otherwise, probably not...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old August 24th 04, 10:35 AM
Melanie

Ian Smith wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:36:26 +0100, Melanie wrote:

Would you rather a limit that ensured 90% drove above it, or no
limit, therefore no incentive to drive faster than your comfort
level?

Have you stopped beating your, err, husband?

Husband? Subtle ;-)

--
Melanie xxx

Old August 24th 04, 10:40 AM
Melanie

Gawnsoft wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:36:26 +0100, "Melanie" wrote
(more or less):

davek wrote:
Melanie wrote:
It appears to me that most drivers think of speed limits as target
speeds - at least, this is the only explanation I can think of for
people being so upset by me doing 25 in a 30 limit.

With NO limit there would be NO macho satisfaction to be gained.

Interesting theory. (That's "interesting" in the sense of "utterly
bonkers", by the way.)

Would you rather a limit that ensured 90% drove above it, or no
limit, therefore no incentive to drive faster than your comfort
level?

You seem, mistakenly, to believe that limits cause people to
deliberately drive above their comfort level so as to exceed the
limit.

I have experienced it. Many inexperinced drivers feel compelled to drive
close to the limit, perhaps because of the aggressive attitude of those
behind. With friends in a car too, the pressure is to be "macho". No limit
would mean no "target".

--
Melanie xxx

Old August 24th 04, 10:43 AM
Melanie

Peter Clinch wrote:
Melanie wrote:

Being new here, can someone tell me whether I should be flatterd :-)

If you feel being likened to one of .uk Usenet's most prestigously
bonkers loons with a home in an alternative reality where speed has no
bearing on safety is flattering, then yes. Otherwise, probably not...

Ooh, sounds quite glam ;-) Is he a cyclist too?

--
Melanie xxx

Old August 24th 04, 10:54 AM
Peter Clinch

Melanie wrote:

I have experienced it. Many inexperinced drivers feel compelled to drive
close to the limit, perhaps because of the aggressive attitude of those
behind. With friends in a car too, the pressure is to be "macho". No limit
would mean no "target".

Says you, but you're a sample base of 1, which isn't a useful sample for
determining policy. Reality check probably needed if you think people
only drive at 40 in a 30 zone because they're trying to go faster than a
limit.

Pete.

Old August 24th 04, 11:00 AM
Peter Clinch

Melanie wrote:

Ooh, sounds quite glam ;-)

Pictures of him suggest otherwise...

Is he a cyclist too?

No. He's too busy trying to distort facts into supporting his
predetermined conclusions and getting publicity for them to have time
for cycling.

Pete.

Old August 24th 04, 11:06 AM
davek

Melanie wrote:
I have experienced it. Many inexperinced drivers feel compelled to drive
close to the limit, perhaps because of the aggressive attitude of those
behind.

Indeed. As I said before, I tend to drive at no more than 25 when the
speed limit is 30 and it's almost like a red rag to a bull. All you can
do is refuse to be scared by such tactics and remember that increasing
your speed will only make the situation more dangerous. It may be a bit
priggish, but I'd rather be a prig than a murderer.

With friends in a car too, the pressure is to be "macho". No limit
would mean no "target".

If I have friends in the car, the only pressure I feel is to not
endanger their lives by driving recklessly.

d.
Old August 24th 04, 11:15 AM
Melanie

Peter Clinch wrote:
Melanie wrote:

Ooh, sounds quite glam ;-)

Pictures of him suggest otherwise...

Doh.

Is he a cyclist too?

No. He's too busy trying to distort facts into supporting his
predetermined conclusions

Sounds like a lot of the stuff I've read here from cyclists.

Old August 24th 04, 11:16 AM
Paul - xxx

davek vaguely muttered something like ...
Melanie wrote:
I have experienced it. Many inexperinced drivers feel compelled to drive
close to the limit, perhaps because of the aggressive attitude of those
behind.

Indeed. As I said before, I tend to drive at no more than 25 when the
speed limit is 30 and it's almost like a red rag to a bull.

Absolutely ..

However, as I drive a Landrover, albeit a Discovery, it's quite hard for the
******* to intimidate me, no matter what they try.

I have no problems exceeding limits where I feel safe to do so, like
motorways, some dual carriageways, and some NSL roads maybe, but I draw the
line where any habitation is directly off the carriageway, and therefore by
this criteria generally within 20/30/40/50 limits ..

I may have been more reckless in my youth ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

Old August 24th 04, 11:32 AM
Peter Clinch

Melanie wrote:

Sounds like a lot of the stuff I've read here from cyclists.

Sounds like you may be trying to tie opinions and thoughts to mode of
transport. It doesn't work like that though.

Pete.