RIP Squirrel

Old June 17th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default RIP Squirrel

"Bill" wrote in message
.com...
R Brickston wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
y.net...
Stephen Harding wrote:
recycled-one wrote:

I don't know why people prefer birds so much over squirrels vis a vis
bird feeders. I think squirrels are kinda cool - if stupid. Their
manic manner reminds me of Ellen De Generes for some reason.
I too enjoy the squirrels at the feeders. I fill it once
a week, even though the local furry raiders often have it
emptied by the end of Sunday. Once a week...sorry birds.

Then of course there are the bears too! Same philosophy:
fill the feeders and suet cages once a week. If the bears
hit the feeder and the suet later on Saturday, birdies have
to wait until next Saturday for the next "reloading".

At least I know where the bears go with my suet cages now.
I just go across the street into the woods/pasture and
collect the emptied cages. I've reclaimed them perhaps 6
or 8 times now. Buying cages every few weeks could get
quite expensive.

They shot a bear near downtown Northanpton (MA) yesterday.
Said it was a danger to the public walking down the streets
and through yards in broad daylight with children about,
showing no fear whatsoever.

I suppose they had to, but I was sorry they did.

SMH
They could have tranquilized the bear but a lot of cops would rather
just kill something as long as it isn't human and they don't have to
fill out a mile of forms.
Go hunting with Cheney some day.
THAT should be interesting.
Bill Baka

Bill, you disappoint. Now, c'mon, give us one of your cop stories. And
PLEASE make sure you go off on many, many tangents and throw in all
manner of things about YOU! See Bill, we *do* get it, on Planet Baka it
really is all about you.

Go ****ing ride a bike onto the railroad tracks and wait to see a train up
close, real close.
Bill

Whoah!! Cruelty Phaser set to "Stun!"

Old June 17th 06, 11:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bill wrote:
They could have tranquilized the bear but a lot of cops would rather
just kill something as long as it isn't human and they don't have to
fill out a mile of forms.
Go hunting with Cheney some day.
THAT should be interesting.

The local police here do not shoot bears. The Environmental
Police are tasked with that, and it was their assessment the
bear was a public danger.

They can't relocate the bear because it was female. Apparently
females have stronger homing instincts than males (only the
females are radio-collared locally for research so they know
the travel patterns of the animals; there are five with home
ranges overlapping my fair hometown).

SMH
Old June 17th 06, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Stephen Harding wrote:
Bill wrote:
They could have tranquilized the bear but a lot of cops would rather
just kill something as long as it isn't human and they don't have to
fill out a mile of forms.
Go hunting with Cheney some day.
THAT should be interesting.

The local police here do not shoot bears. The Environmental
Police are tasked with that, and it was their assessment the
bear was a public danger.

They can't relocate the bear because it was female. Apparently
females have stronger homing instincts than males (only the
females are radio-collared locally for research so they know
the travel patterns of the animals; there are five with home
ranges overlapping my fair hometown).

SMH

Locally they would get some very bad press if they didn't tag the bear
and find out if it had young to feed. If a few days passed and the bear
still hadn't returned to a den to feed her young then it would have been
tranquilized and re-located. In California it becomes a really public
story in a hurry unlike some other states. I have heard of tranq'd bears
being given a 200 mile helicopter ride to a state park or other remote
location, making for a 'feel good' story.
Bill Baka
Old June 17th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:02:35 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:

Possums, being as bright as unlit charcoal briquets,
blithely saunter out into traffic without care.

They are so nearsighted they might as well be blind as well.

Old June 18th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Possums are indeed frequent roadkill in Irvine, CA. Dumb as H. If
they're so blind, why hasn't nature given them good hearing or other
senses? They seem to stay off the bike paths.

My community also has a bobcat living apparently under one house. It's
keeping the rabbit and possum population down.

Dave
wrote:

Possums, being as bright as unlit charcoal briquets,
blithely saunter out into traffic without care.

They are so nearsighted they might as well be blind as well.

Muskie stalks squirrel, snabs him from land, eats him LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 4 March 18th 06 11:16 AM
Squirrel Time Danny Colyer UK 7 September 5th 05 01:21 PM
Disk Brakes: New Problem Identified Just zis Guy, you know? UK 8 July 23rd 05 10:01 AM
Attack Of The Tree Rat! Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 16th 05 01:50 AM
I ran over a squirrel STP General 76 October 23rd 03 07:41 PM