Tactics

Old April 20th 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Tactics

"Susan Walker" wrote in message
Carl Sundquist wrote:
A lot of what happened needs further
clarification by Bos.

He writes in Dutch:
http://www.rabosport.nl/heldenprofie...%20Bos/107#107

My translation:
http://www.podiumcafe.com/2009/4/20/...ally-making-me

What the hell difference does it make what actually happened if the jerkoffs
here can make something out of it that it never was.

Let's make it clear that the man he took down was one that boxed him into
the fence in the first place.

Old April 20th 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

Carl Sundquist wrote:
I just can't figure out how Bos managed to pull Impey across him with
out Impey 'helping' by steering to the left. It seems like Bos would
eventually pull Impey across himself, but by reach Impey's rear wheel
would go into Bos' front wheel at a gradual angle. It almost looks
like Impey's rear wheel slid/skidded out to his right, putting him at
a 90 degree angle to Bos.

Bos says that is because his front wheel hit a barrier foot, presumably
skidded or turned and then hit Impey. Impey sorta got T-boned while they
were still next to each other.
Old April 20th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Amit Ghosh wrote:
On Apr 19, 6:20 pm, Susan Walker wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:30:52 -0700 (PDT), DirtRoadie wrote:
From pro wrestling
Jump to about 3:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyL-85X5Oh8
Whoa - that's messed up.

Bos' explanation: Impey crowded me into the barriers, I laid my hand on
his shoulder to stop him moving in my direction then I hit a barrier
foot and we fell. He doesn't remember exact details ("it all went so
fast") and wants to see the video himself. He vehemently denies any
malintent, especially because that move would, and did, bring himself
down (implying that he would consider a foul play move that would not
bring himself down ...).

dumbass,

he may not have had a malicious intent, but he is still a dumbass
fred, so that does not let him off the hook.

If he had been an offensive lineman in the NFL, he would have drawn a
holding call for that.
Old April 21st 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

Susan Walker wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
I just can't figure out how Bos managed to pull Impey across him with
out Impey 'helping' by steering to the left. It seems like Bos would
eventually pull Impey across himself, but by reach Impey's rear wheel
would go into Bos' front wheel at a gradual angle. It almost looks
like Impey's rear wheel slid/skidded out to his right, putting him at
a 90 degree angle to Bos.

Bos says that is because his front wheel hit a barrier foot, presumably
skidded or turned and then hit Impey. Impey sorta got T-boned while they
were still next to each other.

That would help explain how Bos was able to reach so far forward.
Old April 21st 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:43:48 -0700 (PDT), Carl Sundquist
wrote:

On Apr 20, 3:27*pm, RonSonic wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:30:52 -0700 (PDT), DirtRoadie wrote:
From pro wrestling
Jump to about 3:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyL-85X5Oh8

He should never have taken his hands off the bars.

It looks like he tried to push Impey away, as claimed and then hit that barrier
foot and reflexively grabbed on and pulled the guy down in front of himself.
Again, *pretty much as claimed.

What a dumb**** maneuver.

Wow. After dissecting it over and over, frame by frame, then looking
at it in real time it's hard to feel like this was unintentional. It
looks completely fluid. A lot of what happened needs further
clarification by Bos. But it's just so utterly illogical.

I can't imagine it was intentional. Intentional means putting the other guy into
the fence, not pulling him down in front of yourself. Or would to anyone with
any brains or instinct for self-preservation.

Then again, whenever I say "inconceivable" something happens ... Then that
smartass Spaniard ....

Regardless, the whole "keep your hands on the bars" is a gray area,
not a hard and fast rule. And don't forget, they weren't even
sprinting. They still had a 600 meters to go before the sprint would
start.

Not saying it as a rule or anything, just generally something that makes sense.
Generally, and pretty much here too.
Old April 21st 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

He writes in Dutch:
http://www.rabosport.nl/heldenprofie...%20Bos/107#107

My translation:
http://www.podiumcafe.com/2009/4/20/...ally-making-me

Thanks for translating and thanks for the link.
Old April 21st 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Apr 20, 6:35*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

What the hell difference does it make what actually happened if the jerkoffs
here can make something out of it that it never was.

Let's make it clear that the man he took down was one that boxed him into
the fence in the first place.

dumbass,

bos wasn't boxed in. in is a loser who can't deal with the fact he is
a poser who can't win at the pro road level.

Old April 21st 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article , William Asher
wrote:

Carl Sundquist wrote:

By pushing Impey forward , Bos is equally pushing himself backward.
That's a huge no-no in any kind of tight group except for a madison
where it is expected (between teammates) and people know to not be
stuck behind the exchange. Bos essentially gave Impey a madison throw,
using his jersey instead of pushing Impey on the hip.

That said, it is also a tactic for leadout men to stop pedaling and
sit up as their sprinter comes past to make it more difficult for
those behind him.

Would a lead-out man do that sitting in the middle of a sprinting pack like
that? (I'm not being contentious, but it seems to me that if there are
riders around you like that, and you're not leading a train with space to
either side, that's a dumb thing to do.)

I think Bos had a "Catcher in the Rye" moment. Beats me if he jumped up
and down on the branch or not.

It's a good thing TK has you killfiled - he'd be very upset to read that "Catcher
in the Rye" comment:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...88c543e4779a6f

... as well as the rest of his comments in that thread.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old April 21st 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:49:40 -0700 (PDT), DirtRoadie
wrote:

Isn't there some prohibition against taking hands off the bars?

Riders take their hands off the bars all the time.

Or, if
so, is that just a sprint thing? That by itself would seem to
suggest some impropriety.

CSC tactics Bounty Bob Racing 26 July 26th 08 08:54 AM
team tactics Bounty Bob Racing 21 September 6th 06 04:01 AM
Landis tactics Tsarkon Racing 1 July 21st 06 08:41 AM
Race Tactics mogulhead Australia 5 July 30th 05 07:19 PM
"Tactics...what do you mean?" Jet Racing 5 July 27th 05 09:19 AM