Tactics

Old April 21st 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default Tactics

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:52:06 -0700 (PDT), Bret
wrote:

The other rule I remember was a separate attempt about
ten years ago to prevent victory salutes when in the vicinity of other
riders. I vaguely remember that there was a fairly high profile
relegation related to that one too but can't recall the details.

Surely it was this one, in the 2002 Grant's Tomb Criterium

http://www.jt10000.com/team/tgal/gtc0214.htm
Old April 21st 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:22:25 -0700 (PDT), Scott
wrote:

On Apr 21, 10:29*am, "Paul G." wrote:
On Apr 21, 8:52*am, Bret wrote:

The other rule I remember was a separate attempt about
ten years ago to prevent victory salutes when in the vicinity of other
riders.

I got relegated many years ago in the Sierra Grade cat 3 road race for
making a victory salute as I crossed the line. The official cited a
general rule about doing something dangerous. That was a hard lesson-
no screwing around.
-Paul

Victory salutes by folks in the middle of the pack are generally
frowned on.

Yeah look at that former RBR dumbass Adam Myerson in the background of
this (in front of the big screen, hands off the bars)::
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...lem08/ZUI_7782

Old April 22nd 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

I saw a good explanation of the Bos/Impey thing: Bos was pushing Impey
away, or even just touching him to let him know he was there, when he
rode over the foot of the barrier and clutched at Impey instinctively,
dragging Impey down with him.

Dangerous riding worthy of a DQ or something, but not intentionally
pulling Impey down.
Old April 22nd 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 21, 5:40*pm, "Paul G." wrote:
Victory salutes by folks in the middle of the pack are generally
frowned on.

Lots of climbing in that race, and I was a climber. *I crossed the
line all by myself, in second place IIRC. I guess I endangered
myself.

"Victory" salutes for 2nd place are even worse than middle-of-the-pack
salutes.

At least in the middle of the pack you can pretend you're saluting for
a teammate (gay though that is...)

Saluting for 2nd should have gotten you a mandatory downgrade ... to
Cat 5.

Old April 22nd 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Apr 21, 4:50 am, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:42:59 -0700 (PDT), Carl Sundquist

wrote:
look like Bos was pushing on Impey's jersey all the way to the point
where Bos T-boned him and I can't see how you can use your right arm
to push someone forward if you're falling off to the left.

He was trying to create a corner and increase acceleration...

He read all the rbr physicists saying that you accelerate
in turns on the track because your center of gravity is lower,
and decided to speed up the center-of-gravity-lowering
part.

Ben
Old April 22nd 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Henry[_4_]

On Apr 20, 4:41 pm, Amit Ghosh wrote:
On Apr 19, 11:23 pm, "
wrote:

On Apr 19, 6:15 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:12:34 -0700 (PDT), DirtRoadie

wrote:
On Apr 19, 5:57 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
I think the claim that it wasn't malicious is plausible, but what a
boner.

I could buy that if it had just been a shoulder butt or even just a
push, but it sure looks like Bos grabbed hold and hurled Impey forward
and sideways - not a "defensive" move.

Yeah, but he basically throws the guy down in front of himself.

Very strange.

Sometimes, people get angry and do stupid stuff
that isn't in their best interests. Maybe Bos's new
rbr nickname should be Theo "Meathead" Bos.

He never should have taken his hand off the bars
in the first place. Meathead Bos isn't some bad-bike-handling
climber, he should know how to lean on a rider without
using his hands. Also, Bos was coming up from
behind Impey - if he got squeezed, it's largely his fault.

Ben

dumbass,

bos is a ****ing fred who needs a throat punch - he shouldn't even be
in professional road races. if he wanted to prevent a crash he
could've just backed off or like you say used his elbows and
shoulders. but sprints are gay and no meaningful race (including milan
san remo which is a 40 km race preceeded by a 200 km cancer ride) ends
in a bunch sprint.

bos is a ****ing meathead, it's too bad the officials didn't want to
penalize him. there needs to be more attention paid to rider safety
and less on dumbass rules about spoke counts and legal tubing frame
dimensions.

I'm torn between what seems to be an accident - the "why would he risk
injuring himself" theory, and taking personal responsibility for his
actions.
I think there must be a case to answer, regardless of his intent.
Some very bad things have been done by people who "didn't mean any
harm".
Dilbert theory says people are stupid, lazy, horny and selfish. I'd
give bos 3/4 on this one
Old April 22nd 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

wrote:
[...]

Which one are you ruling out?
Old April 22nd 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

wrote:
On Apr 21, 10:29*am, "Paul G." wrote:
On Apr 21, 8:52*am, Bret wrote:

The other rule I remember was a separate attempt about
ten years ago to prevent victory salutes when in the vicinity of other
riders.

I got relegated many years ago in the Sierra Grade cat 3 road race for
making a victory salute as I crossed the line. The official cited a
general rule about doing something dangerous. That was a hard lesson-
no screwing around.
-Paul

Victory salutes by folks in the middle of the pack are generally
frowned on.

Yeah look at that former RBR dumbass Adam Myerson in the background of
this (in front of the big screen, hands off the bars)::http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008....php?id=/p...- Hide quoted text -

We've all seen situations where someone salutes a teammate's victory,
which of course brings great derision from the ape-ish one, but is
that guy turf-surfing in the photo Myerson's teammate? Their 'kit'
doesn't seem to match.
Old April 22nd 09, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

wrote:
look like Bos was pushing on Impey's jersey all the way to the point
where Bos T-boned him and I can't see how you can use your right arm
to push someone forward if you're falling off to the left.

He was trying to create a corner and increase acceleration...

He read all the rbr physicists saying that you accelerate
in turns on the track because your center of gravity is lower,
and decided to speed up the center-of-gravity-lowering
part.

Ben

Dumbass, it's not that your COG is lower, it's traveling a shorter
distance. Geez.
Old April 22nd 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Scott" wrote in message
On Apr 21, 5:24 pm, "
wrote:

He read all the rbr physicists saying that you accelerate
in turns on the track because your center of gravity is lower,
and decided to speed up the center-of-gravity-lowering
part.

Dumbass, it's not that your COG is lower, it's traveling a shorter
distance. Geez.

That's why he's a government scientist.

CSC tactics Bounty Bob Racing 26 July 26th 08 08:54 AM
team tactics Bounty Bob Racing 21 September 6th 06 04:01 AM
Landis tactics Tsarkon Racing 1 July 21st 06 08:41 AM
Race Tactics mogulhead Australia 5 July 30th 05 07:19 PM
"Tactics...what do you mean?" Jet Racing 5 July 27th 05 09:19 AM