Abundance of steel sport tourers/commuters

Old April 22nd 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Abundance of steel sport tourers/commuters

On Apr 21, 10:53*am, "P. Chisholm" wrote:
On Apr 17, 7:54*pm, landotter wrote:

On Apr 17, 5:57*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Apr 17, 11:21*am, landotter wrote:

On 2009-04-16, Jay Beattie wrote:

I got some spam mail from Universal Cycles and got curious about their
selection of road frames. *Seehttp://www.universalcycles.com/*They
have a number of cheapish, steel road frames with eyelets and fender
clearance -- Surley, Soma, Pake, Salsa. *No fork Soma Smoothie for
$388. A Pake C'Muter for $288. There are also a steel Voodoo cross
frame that is pretty cheap.

Still is coming back, I reckon because they've recently figured out how
to weld it cheaply in the far east just like they do with aluminium.

It may be that steel frames are cheaper than aluminium again.

Considering how cheap it is to get a frame welded, anything made in
China/Taiwan by robots shouldn't cost more than $100.

Steel is just fashionable again, because like minded people enjoy
lying to each other about it as a form of social networking.

Dude, the steel is real crowd is going to kick your ass. *You're gonna
get some serious hating from SMS.

I'm not scared. All those steely hipsters are usually wearing their
girlfriend's skinny jeans with their shredded Chucks, so can barely
move, much *less disguise the muffin top.

By the way, about the dearth of sport touring bikes with fender
eyelets, etc., it is true that there were a lot more drop bar bikes on
the show room floor with eyelets back in the day, and I was thinking
that: (1) eyelets were just more popular back then. *You could even
find them on some of the OTC racing frames like the older Raleigh Pros
and Paramounts. *All that stopped in the mid to late '70s, IIRC, at
least with the top tier racing bikes. (2) *The niche formerly occupied
by the second and third tier sport tourers like the UO8 or the Gitane
Grand Sport, etc., is now occupied by mountain-ish bikes with
eyelets. *People have gravitated away from drop bar bikes. (3) Real
touring bikes are probably just about as common, with each major
manufacturer fielding what they consider to be a "real" touring bike.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post--the hybrid is the sport touring
bike of this era. Only real problem is that most come with terrible
handlebars and miserable hoses around the rims. Tune a $4-500 hybrid,
add a nice bar like a butterfly or something sexy from Nitto or VO,
then shoe it with some Panaracers--and you get a spectacular basic
bike. Low end Shimano is miles nicer than bike boom crap.

Don't need front suspension tho. Most hybrids these have this and
appeal to grampa and grandma and neither need it but clueless bike
shops sell it, hype it.

Jamis Coda and Kona Dew are two of many that don't, and are perfect
candidates for "conversion".
Old April 22nd 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Clive George joins the zero-respect Seaton Scum

On Apr 22, 12:23*am, Still Just Me
wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:14:05 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute

wrote:
and that Welsh git, whatisface, Clive
George,

I wouldn't think his nationality would be an issue in a discussion
about bikes.

This isn't about bikes, you inattentive berk. This is about the fact
that the Welsh git is a confessed troll.

The Welsh are not important enough to be bigoted about them. As you
would know if you'd ever been out of America.

(Unless of course the poster is a bigot. Then it's an issue in that
people will no longer want to respond to the bigot who posted the
intentional ethnic slur). *

What are you on this week, anonymous poster? A large dose of ignorance
and political correctness for young ladies?

The Welsh may not be important enough to attract bigotry but they are
Celts, so it helps to identify a nasty troll like Clive George as a
nasty *Welsh* troll to avoid the annoyance of the Scots kilts and the
Irish Gaeltacht dwellers hotly denying that the confessed troll Clive
George is one of theirs. There is no need to insult the good Scots and
the better Irish just because one wretched Welsh git misbehaves, is
there?

Try to think ahead a little, eh.

As for the dumb-American political correctness of "ethnic slur", stick
it up your jumper, sonny. Why should I care what a blustering,
brainless storm trooper like you thinks?

Andre Jute
Should I ever commit the intellectual crime of political correctness,
please jab me with a pin
Old April 22nd 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Still Just Me joins the zero-respect Seaton Scum

And, lest we forget the substance among the smoke the domestiques in
the Seaton Scum have already started blowiing (below), here is the
substantive question again:

What sort of a cycling scum "falls on the
ground laughing his arse off" when a world circumnavigator passes?

Andre Jute
Zero tolerance for street corner gangs

Old April 22nd 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Hank Wirtz joins the zero-respect Seaton Scum

On Apr 21, 11:50*pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:

I've just decided I'm going
to post "Hey Andre? That thing you do that makes people not like you?
You're doing it again," whenever I see Andre change a thread title to
name-call someone with whom he disagrees.

There's a problem with your thinking, Wirtzie. It is that it your
thinking is invisible, entirely absent. The kneejerk reflex you've
substituted won't do.

Seaton didn't disagree with me, he assualted me with lies. It doesn't
matter how popular Seaton is, the people he's popular with are the
wrong sort of people, including you now that we have heard your motive
for abusing me in this thread.

By abusing me for standing up for the truth, you've joined the Seaton
Scum in approving Seaton's lies:

Andre, you spent upwards of 4 grand on a hybrid bike. When you ride
by people fall on the ground laughing their arses off at your
foolishness. You remind me of a person having the most tricked out,
fanciest Pacer or Gremlin. Your bike performs poorly in all
respects. It weighs 15-20 kilos? So its extremely slow on the flat
and uphill. This heaviness also makes its handling clumsy. You have
some puny rack bag on it so its unusable for anything useful like
getting groceries from the market. Your bike could be acceptable for
such a task, but you don't use it that way. If you were to put a non
cyclist on your bike, they would be immediately turned off from
cycling because of the poor performance of your bike. You are an
example of how to waste money.

And, after I politely corrected his facts, pointing out that bike
Seaton sneered at has multiple world circumanivations to its credit,
the scumbag Russell Seaton confirmed that there was no
misunderstanding by sending this:

Andre, you ride a girls hybrid bike. Some grandmas might be envious
of your bike.

So then I asked the substantive question:
What sort of a cyclist "falls on the ground laughing his arse off"
when a world circumnavigator passes?
and was abused for it by a bunch of Eaton's roadie fellow-travellers
including you.

This form of bullying is typical roadie behaviour. It is how this scum
came to be conformed (heh-heh) as roadies and it is how they try to
force others to conform. It's like abused children in their turn as
adults abusing children. You're just so used to this wretched scum's
bullying, you don't even notice their viciousness. I do.

Why on earth shouldn't I describe such a gang by name as scum? It's a
precise description.

And the substantive question stands:
What sort of a cycling scum "falls on the ground laughing his arse
off" when a world circumnavigator passes?

Not one of the scumballs have even tried to answer it.

Andre Jute
Counting scumballs. Up to six now.

Old April 22nd 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:07:26 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

[some stuff snipped]

You need professional psychological help.

Old April 22nd 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

Default Landotter joins the zero-respect Seaton Scum

On Apr 21, 11:59*am, Andre Jute wrote:
On Apr 21, 7:36*pm, landotter wrote:

On Apr 21, 8:54*am, "

wrote:
Andre, you ride a girls hybrid bike. *Some grandmas might be envious
of your bike.

He's an omafietsishist.

Let me ask you too, Mr Ott: What sort of a cyclist "falls fall on the
ground laughing his arse off" when a worldcircumnavigatorpasses, as
Seaton, whom (1) you're supporting here, does? Or are you another oink
who thinks that if the bike wasn't made on your street corner it will
have no gang cred among the fashion victims?

Me, if someone called it a 'world circumnavigator' to my face. Unless
he'd actually gone around the world on it. In which case I'd be quite
confused -- why is he affixing to an inanimate object a label that
applies to himself?

I've got a Kawasaki KLR650 motorbike. Several people have done RTW
trips on that model (I haven't--the best I've done is two weeks'
camping.) It's practical and capable, as well as cheap, poorly
finished and low-tech. Sort of the motorcycling version of a Kona Dew.

If I ever point at it and demand respect for the fact that one of my
possessions is similar to the tool of someone capable of mounting a
circumnavigation, I grant blanket permission for anyone nearby to
punch me in the mouth.

-pm
Laughing my ass off
Old April 22nd 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

wrote:

[some stuff snipped]

You need professional psychological help.

I'd use the phrase "Loonier than the change drawer in a Canadian candy
store."
Old April 22nd 09, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Correcting Russell Eaton's slack ignorance.

On Apr 22, 2:03*am, mike wrote:
In article 6479bdd8-9bd1-4ba8-b021-709d34c33c45
@s1g2000prd.googlegroups.com, says...

What sort of a cyclist "falls on the ground laughing his arse
off" when a world circumnavigator passes?

Below is Eaton's silly opinion of my new bike. To correct only has
more glaring errors of fact, my bike has several world
circumnavigations to its credit, and examples in use with more than
100,000km are common.

Sorry Andre, when you wrote "my bike" the second time in the quotation
above, do you mean the same thing as when you wrote "my bike" the first
time? If so, where you the one who rode the "several world
circumnavigations" on it, or did it previously belong to sopmeone else?

Mike

I should be so lucky, Mike. No, I didn't ride any of the world
circumnavigations. Other units of the same design from the same
soldering table made those circumnavigations. "My bike" includes the
design... But this isn't about disrespect for me -- I don't care what
little people think about me because I know how to manipulate their
opinion any time I wish -- but about deliberate outright lies about
the bike's abilities, which shame not only Russell Seaton for telling
the lies and his claque of brownnosing roadies for trying to bully me
into lying down and being raped by Seaton, but RBT as a whole as well
for not standing up to this scum.

I did sail my yacht "The City of Germiston" around the world, which
was dangerous and uncomfortable enough, and sometimes outright
frightening, but that was probably a luxury cruise compared to cycling
around the world. My current project is much more modest and suited to
my present circumstances: "Andre Jute's cycling world tour of his
little patch of Southwestern County Cork from Bandon almost to
Kinsale," a distance of nearly twenty miles...

Hope this answers your question.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

Old April 22nd 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

Default Correcting Russell Seaton's slack ignorance.

Completely neglecting the content of my post, I'll take that as acknowledgement
that I hit the first pitch out of the park.

"Welcome to my patch." Troll claiming that he owns the newsgroup, that'd make
bases loaded.

I'm up 4-0 top of the first inning. Whaddya got for your next pitch?

Ron

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:40:08 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute wrote:

Ronni Bales! Now there's a name from the archives I haven't heard in a
decade. It musta been Valve who wrote somewhere that you sank in that
swamp at AGA. I remember you for your talent for infallibly choosing
the wrong side. Wasn't it the Magnequest Scum you sucked up to last
time out? That's right! Baleful Ronni, the Magnequest Scum
footsoldier, who still gloated they were winning the day before the
Chief Cigarogem of his mob made a runner. Welcome on my patch, Ronnie;
I do trust you will be better behaved this time round. Explain to me
why I should read your letter -- for instance, do you know something
about bikes? or are you just trolling? -- and if I'm convinced by your
spiel I'll come back to read it.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

On Apr 21, 8:12*pm, RonSonic wrote:
I don't think it's the bike they'd be laughing at. That'd only be a souce of
bemusement.

Just as you snort at sport riders on pro peloton bikes, others might be amused
by that frightfully expensive bike of yours being pressed into service as bike
trail cruiser. You really need a Rolhoff for those hills in your neighborhood?
The infamous Irish Alps? It wasn't Russell who introduced the word "sissy" into
the conversation. No need to feel bad about your need for a 20ish gear on an
unloaded cruiser. But it sure isn't a height from which to **** on others from.

As for your insight on respect, perhaps you'd do well to continue your
meditations on the subject.

Respectfully,
Ron

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:36:44 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute wrote:
What sort of a cyclist "falls fall on the ground laughing his arse
off" when a world circumnavigator passes?

Below is Eaton's silly opinion of my new bike. To correct only has
more glaring errors of fact, my bike has several world
circumnavigations to its credit, and examples in use with more than
100,000km are common. It is 5-8kg lighter than its competitors, has
been a bestseller for half a century in premium markets where faults
are not tolerated by its premium purchasers, is renowned for the
stability of its long wheelbase, has a 170kg load rating, is
guaranteed for ten years (and can then be rejuvenated at a fixed
price). But that poor poser Eaton thinks it's a bike for sissies.

Poor Eaton puts himself forward as an expert but doesn't even know my
"puny rackbag" is expandable.

I ask again, what sort of a cyclist "falls fall on the ground laughing
his arse off" when a world circumnavigator passes? I wonder if it will
ever occur to Russell Eaton that he gets no respect because he doesn't
give any where it is due.

Andre Jute
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich...

On Apr 20, 9:22*pm, "
wrote:
Andre, you spent upwards of 4 grand on a hybrid bike. *When you ride
by people fall on the ground laughing their arses off at your
foolishness. *You remind me of a person having the most tricked out,
fanciest Pacer or Gremlin. *Your bike performs poorly in all
respects. *It weighs 15-20 kilos? *So its extremely slow on the flat
and uphill. *This heaviness also makes its handling clumsy. *You have
some puny rack bag on it so its unusable for anything useful like
getting groceries from the market. *Your bike could be acceptable for
such a task, but you don't use it that way. *If you were to put a non
cyclist on your bike, they would be immediately turned off from
cycling because of the poor performance of your bike. *You are an
example of how to waste money.

Tourers for £300 OVNO- possible? spindrift UK 12 April 29th 06 08:48 PM
FS: 54CM lugged steel Specialized Allez Sport frameset [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 13th 05 10:05 PM
A question for you tourers... Mark UK 11 August 14th 04 11:01 AM
Help choose between these tourers? Tumbleweed UK 6 July 21st 04 07:40 AM
Know anything about expedition tourers ? SW UK 23 October 13th 03 12:06 PM