cadence comparo - running and riding?

Old March 31st 05, 07:19 AM
Carl Brewer

Default cadence comparo - running and riding?

Tamkya mentioned in another thread about some triatheletes riding at
the same cadence that they run (90-100rpm).

I'm curious, and maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but
I thought it might be interesting to compare the cadences that
runners (sprinters, middle distance, marathon) use compared
to the equivalent diciplines in cycling.

Most criterium (30-60mins) racers ride at around 90-105rpm,
time trialists (~60mins) can be anywhere from 70-100rpm
or higher, and sprinters hit 130rpm+ in sprints, depending
on the type of event and their gearing etc. Roadies
in long (80km+) road races will vary cadences a lot
to balance fatigue and deal with attacks, hills etc.

What do runners do? Obviously they don't have the advantage
of gears, but can shorten or lengthen their stride and have
varying leg lengths (but can't change them mid-race!) to give some
variation in gearing.

Old March 31st 05, 07:58 AM
Tamyka Bell

Carl Brewer wrote:

[...]

Runners world (long time ago) quoted 180 as the steps per minute (equals
cadence 90) for the top runners in the world from either 400m or 800m up
to ultramarathon. Wouldn't know about anything shorter, as I never
cared much for sprints, but I think it'd be hard to say anyway as the
acceleration phase (with shorter steps) is a larger proportion of the
race.

Old March 31st 05, 01:22 PM
Marty

Carl Brewer wrote:
[...]

Fast runners have similar cadences but the fastest has a longer stride,
same thing with horses.

Marty
Old March 31st 05, 02:45 PM
flyingdutch

Carl Brewer Wrote:
Tamkya mentioned in another thread about some triatheletes riding at
the same cadence that they run (90-100rpm).

I'm curious, and maybe this is the wrong place to ask

bingo!

oh go on then
ya big suck!

Carl Brewer Wrote:

but
I thought it might be interesting to compare the cadences that
runners (sprinters, middle distance, marathon) use compared
to the equivalent diciplines in cycling.

Most criterium (30-60mins) racers ride at around 90-105rpm,
time trialists (~60mins) can be anywhere from 70-100rpm
or higher, and sprinters hit 130rpm+ in sprints, depending
on the type of event and their gearing etc. Roadies
in long (80km+) road races will vary cadences a lot
to balance fatigue and deal with attacks, hills etc.

What do runners do? Obviously they don't have the advantage
of gears, but can shorten or lengthen their stride and have
varying leg lengths (but can't change them mid-race!) to give some
variation in gearing.

wouldnt a trackie hit much higher than 130rpm?

christ knows we 'fixed' people's do. right? bit of backup her
people...

oh, and what about 'bent HPV people, hey? hey??

F"coach-baiter... whattya mean E0???"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

Old March 31st 05, 11:15 PM
hippy

flyingdutch wrote:
oh, and what about 'bent HPV people, hey? hey??

I think Carlos the Jackal hit 237rpm on the Greenspeed warmup trike at
Wonthaggi. This thing had 115mm cranks though

hippy
Old April 3rd 05, 09:27 AM
Bleve

273, actually

Old April 3rd 05, 11:54 PM
hippy

Bleve wrote:
273, actually

Dude, I almost got the number right! These remedial maths (a.k.a. Sprint
Skills) sessions must be working!!

hippy
Old April 4th 05, 12:52 AM
flyingdutch

hippy Wrote:
Bleve wrote:
273, actually

Dude, I almost got the number right! These remedial maths (a.k.a
Sprint
Skills) sessions must be working!!

hippy

just in time for your ONE lap of Europe!

273? your kiddin. right?... right

--
flyingdutch

Old April 4th 05, 01:03 AM
hippy

flyingdutch wrote:
hippy Wrote:
Bleve wrote:
273, actually

Dude, I almost got the number right! These remedial maths (a.k.a.
Sprint Skills) sessions must be working!!

just in time for your ONE lap of Europe!
273? your kiddin. right?... right?

Nah.. the cranks were frickin' tiny! 115mm I think.

I couldn't get the hang of the position or the pedal distance or
something coz I'd bounce all over the shop at higher rpms. Jack Al
obviously had it sussed though.

hippy
Old April 4th 05, 02:23 AM
Carl Brewer

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 00:03:52 GMT, hippy
wrote:

I couldn't get the hang of the position or the pedal distance or
something coz I'd bounce all over the shop at higher rpms. Jack Al
obviously had it sussed though.

I've hit 204rpm with 172.5mm cranks on the roady - not much power
at that sort of stupid cadence though, and not sustainable for more
than about 5 seconds