driving in London today

Old May 6th 12, 01:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default driving in London today

I had to drive through the city today, at one stage near Aldgate a girl on a
bicycle got past by ignoring a red light and it would then have been dodgy
to go past her, so I meandered along behind her to the next junction which
was left turn only, so she turned right, then left into a no entry road! At
most of the red lights there were cyclists who just went straight through, I
didn't actually see a cyclist stop at a red at all. I saw a half dozen
close shaves with pedestrians that had to run to avoid being hit. A
Saturday is probably a pretty quiet day for cyclists so a week day must be a
laugh a minute. I saw a half dozen Boris bikes in use, some being ridden
over ped. crossings and through red lights, again almost hitting
pedestrians. Cycling standards in the City are actually worse than they are
in the country. How they have the cheek to complain about the roads is
beyond me.

Old May 6th 12, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Go and see The Hunt Crit at Hillingdon this Sunday!

Looks to be good day out today.

QUOTE:

If you're anywhere near West London on this bank holiday weekend, then
get yourself over to Hillingdon Circuit on Sunday afternoon to grab a
burrito and watch some hectic fixed gear racing: The Hunt Crit is in
town!

Tokyo Fixed have been working closely with David Trimble, organiser of
the legendary Red Hook Crit to bring an exciting afternoon of racing,
with 60 riders signed up. The roster from the final will be decided
from two heats of 30 riders, with the fastest 15 from each heat moving
forward to contest the main event. The prizes include £300 in cash, 52
Chipotle Burritos, guaranteed entry to the next Red Hook Crit,
clothing from Morvelo & Rapha, frames from All City & Tokyo Fixed,
Wheels from Halo, goodies from Restrap & Victoire Hubs, Locks from
Hiplok, custom bags from iL Soigneur and more.

Representing the South West are Ed Trotman and Tim Wilkey of Bristol's
trackdopouts crew, hopefully they're going to give us a first-hand
report of the racing on the day. Dene from iL Soigneur will be
snapping away for us too, as well as handing out his specially made
prize musettes. There should be a good festival atmosphere on the the
day, with headline sponsors Chipotle serving up the food (bring your
own booze!) and plenty of other bike brands on the scene too. South
Coast Sprints will be putting on roller racing during the day too. The
festivities begin at midday and should go on through to the late
afternoon.

http://road.cc/content/news/57762-go...lingdon-sunday

--
Simon Mason
Old May 6th 12, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 06/05/2012 01:16, Mrcheerful wrote:
[...]

To be fair, in my experience it is only about 25% of them who do that,
and they are not usually 'Boris Bikers'

Don't forget the usual suspect will be along soon to point out that you
missed the buses doing the same & there is bound to be a survey that he
can produce that proves you wrong.
Old May 6th 12, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sun, 6 May 2012 01:16:49
uk.rec.cycling Mrcheerful

[...]

Next time you got to town put a cam on your dashboard so we can tell
you're not making it up.

--
Wm...
Old May 6th 12, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Wm... wrote:
Sun, 6 May 2012 01:16:49
uk.rec.cycling Mrcheerful

[...]

With the stuff I saw yesterday I am seriously considering it, especially
after I had to take a major swerve when a car started to change lanes next
to me, he then went back and stayed there, my guess is he was on the phone.

Old May 6th 12, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On May 6, 9:26*am, "Wm..." wrote:

Next time you got to town put a cam on your dashboard so we can tell
you're not making it up.

Good idea - but make sure it is pointing forwards as you do not want
to catch sight of Cheerless's ugly mug staring back at you.
--
Simon Mason
Old May 6th 12, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 6 May 2012 01:16:49 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

I had to drive through the city today

I am reminded of a regular cyclist who thinks he is really, really keen - and
that the Boris bikes are the best thing since sliced bread.

He recently went to London to "watch" a cycling day - he could not be arsed to
take his bike with him - so he stood on the pavements all day in the ****ing
rain watching cyclists go past on the road. A great day out !!

He even could not be bothered (or perhaps could not afford) to hire a Boris
bike for the day, so that he could test it out for himself *and* take part in
the cycling day.

Mind you - I think he may be slightly Simple.

Old May 6th 12, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On May 6, 9:26*am, "Wm..." wrote:
Sun, 6 May 2012 01:16:49
uk.rec.cycling Mrcheerful

[...]

I made a video of 10000 cyclists obeying every stop sign when I was in
London.
I could not say that about car drivers though.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/bigride.wmv

--
Simon Mason

Old May 6th 12, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 06/05/2012 12:02, Simon Mason wrote:

I made a video of 10000 cyclists obeying every stop sign when I was in
London.

What a fanciful lie.

There isn't an informed person on the planet who could or would believe that.
Old May 6th 12, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On May 6, 9:12*am, Tony Dragon wrote:

To be fair, in my experience it is only about 25% of them who do that,
and they are not usually 'Boris Bikers'

Don't forget the usual suspect will be along soon to point out that you
missed the buses doing the same & there is bound to be a survey that he
can produce that proves you wrong.

I can only state what I saw with my own eyes and video evidence and
that was that I filmed 10000 cyclists who all obeyed stop signs showed
by stewards who had no legal power to stop them anyway