Epsom to Surbiton

Old October 9th 03, 09:21 PM
Julian

Default Epsom to Surbiton

Due to the impending parking scheme in Surbiton, I'm considering getting
to work by train and bike; a recipe for disaster if ever there was
one:-) I have choice of stations I can use, Epsom, Ewell East and
Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to
determine a suitable cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably
avoiding any of the A3
roundabouts! Is there anyone or thing that would publish such a route?

TIA
--
Julian
Old October 9th 03, 11:00 PM
Paul Luton

In message
Julian wrote:
one:-) I have choice of stations I can use, Epsom, Ewell East and
Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to
determine a suitable cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably
avoiding any of the A3 roundabouts! Is there anyone or thing that would
publish such a route?

Epsom Council have a cycle map on the Web. If you cross the A3 at Tolworth
there is a Kingston route via King Charles Rd (nasty r turn)

Regards Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

Old October 9th 03, 11:59 PM
Sprite

"Julian" wrote in message
news
Due to the impending parking scheme in Surbiton, I'm considering getting
to work by train and bike; a recipe for disaster if ever there was
one:-) I have choice of stations I can use, Epsom, Ewell East and
Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to
determine a suitable cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably
avoiding any of the A3
roundabouts! Is there anyone or thing that would publish such a route?

TIA
--
Julian

Well you've hit my local area bang on the head there

The A3 roundabout in Tolworth is nasty if you're on the road, but you could
consider getting of and going down the underpasses and such? From there
it's a pretty straight road to Surbiton.

Ewell East is probably the best station to choose out of the three though,
(in terms of easy cycling) or even Cheam (if the train stops there, I'm
assuming it's a train that goes through all of Sutton, Cheam, Ewell East &
Epsom). Cheam would probably be even better;

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...reater+London+[Town]&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

You can go through Nonsuch Park, through Stoneleigh and join up on the
Kingston Road (A240 again) - straight road to Surbiton. Ewell East is also
on that map, station in the bottom left square.

Hmm... this probably isn't much help to you at all is it?

There's no really nice cycle routes that I personally know of; however there
is a slip road that you can take to avoid the main road if you wish between
Ruxley Lane and Worcester Park Road, then there's a cycle path pretty much
all the way to the Tolworth roundabout.

Hope this was of any use,

Sue

Old October 10th 03, 12:14 AM
elyob

"Julian" wrote in message
news
Due to the impending parking scheme in Surbiton, I'm considering getting
to work by train and bike; a recipe for disaster if ever there was
one:-) I have choice of stations I can use, Epsom, Ewell East and
Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to
determine a suitable cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably
avoiding any of the A3
roundabouts! Is there anyone or thing that would publish such a route?

Well, you won't be parking outside my place ever again! Result! .. Still, I
don't need my parking permit ... so, any offers before I stick it on ebay
(It'll need to be well above the £60 basic charge!)....

If it's a rush hour journey you do, then there should be no problem with
traffic around here ...

Nick

Old October 10th 03, 02:19 AM
Ningi

Julian wrote:
Due to the impending parking scheme in Surbiton, I'm considering getting
to work by train and bike; a recipe for disaster if ever there was
one:-) I have choice of stations I can use, Epsom, Ewell East and
Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to
determine a suitable cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably
avoiding any of the A3
roundabouts! Is there anyone or thing that would publish such a route?

TIA

You're not going to be able to avoid the A3 roundabouts, but I don't
think they are too bad - I cycled down the A240 at Tolworth this
afternoon and you can use the underpass at Tolworth roundabout and
there's a tolerable cycle lane towards Ewell.

I'd recommend the A243 as being a better route to approach Surbiton than
the A240, it's smaller roads although maybe slightly longer. You could
cycle from Epsom via Chessington and Hook on mostly side roads and
streets, and Hook roundabout is much smaller than Tolworth, although no
underpass.

A friend cycles from Surbiton to Epsom daily and that's the route he
uses, roughly.

Now.. should I buy that residents parking permit or not....

Pete

Old October 10th 03, 08:31 PM
Ian Smith

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Julian wrote:

Sutton. I'd prefer Epsom as that's the first of the three. So, I need to
determine a suitable cycle route from Epsom to Surbiton, preferably
avoiding any of the A3 roundabouts! Is there anyone or thing that would
publish such a route?

Surrey County Council are intent on publishing some maps much like the
TfL / LCC ones, with the same sort of route information on them. Of
course, being 'intent on', they're not available yet.

Which probably leads on to the observation that someone there may
well be interested in the opinions of local cyclists about routes in
teh vicinity. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue who, but anyone having
strong views might like to try and track down a cycling officer, or
transport department, or whatever they have.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|