90 year old doper caught

Old January 9th 19, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default 90 year old doper caught

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 22:31:15 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/8/2019 9:05 PM, jbeattie wrote:
In fact, I raced with Lance Armstrong. Well, O.K., I raced on the same street at a different time as Lance Armstrong -- I was masters and he was Pro/1/2 back in the Montgomery Subaru days. But I still felt like we were close, and I got to know him enough to see that he was sensitive and caring young man.

My best was riding with Lon Haldeman during one of the early Race Across
AMerica (RAAM) sleep deprivation contests. The route went not too far
from a town I was visiting in central Pennsylvania (so it was toward the
end of the race), and I went to considerable trouble to ride to the
route and ride along with him for just a little while.

I remember saying only "You're looking good, Lon!" Which was a blatant
lie. He looked like death warmed over. As I recall, he was riding at
about 12 mph.

His winning speed in 1982 was 12.57 mph :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old January 9th 19, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 7:31:20 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/8/2019 9:05 PM, jbeattie wrote:
In fact, I raced with Lance Armstrong. Well, O.K., I raced on the same street at a different time as Lance Armstrong -- I was masters and he was Pro/1/2 back in the Montgomery Subaru days. But I still felt like we were close, and I got to know him enough to see that he was sensitive and caring young man.

My best was riding with Lon Haldeman during one of the early Race Across
AMerica (RAAM) sleep deprivation contests. The route went not too far
from a town I was visiting in central Pennsylvania (so it was toward the
end of the race), and I went to considerable trouble to ride to the
route and ride along with him for just a little while.

I remember saying only "You're looking good, Lon!" Which was a blatant
lie. He looked like death warmed over. As I recall, he was riding at
about 12 mph.

The super-endurance guys are a breed apart. Back in the early-mid 80s, I was lined up at the start-finish of a some business-park criterium in San Jose, and I looked over to the guy next to me who looked very familiar and asked if I knew him. He said that I had probably seen him in Bicycling! because he just won the John Marino Open -- one of the marathon qualifiers for the RAAM. I can't remember the guy's name. Any way, he was shot out the back half-way through the race. The guy could ride forever but had no top-end, and grinding along for 24 or 48 hours probably didn't teach him much about battling for position while whirling around a business park.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 9th 19, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/8/2019 9:31 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/8/2019 9:05 PM, jbeattie wrote:
In fact, I raced with Lance Armstrong. Well, O.K., I raced
on the same street at a different time as Lance Armstrong
-- I was masters and he was Pro/1/2 back in the Montgomery
Subaru days. But I still felt like we were close, and I
got to know him enough to see that he was sensitive and
caring young man.

My best was riding with Lon Haldeman during one of the early
Race Across AMerica (RAAM) sleep deprivation contests. The
route went not too far from a town I was visiting in central
Pennsylvania (so it was toward the end of the race), and I
went to considerable trouble to ride to the route and ride
along with him for just a little while.

I remember saying only "You're looking good, Lon!" Which was
a blatant lie. He looked like death warmed over. As I
recall, he was riding at about 12 mph.

I showed up for an annual club century one autumn morning
when Mr & Mrs Lon rode up. They had left Harvard IL a few
hours earlier, rode our century and then rode home after.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 9th 19, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Haldeman won the RAAM in 1982 at 12.57 mph. Hinault won the Tour de France in 1982 at 23.6 mph. IF IF IF IF you figure average speed the Tour way. BUT, if you figure average speed the RAAM way, then Hinault only averaged 3..9 mph for the 1982 Tour. 2179 miles. 7/2/1982 to 7/25/1982. Assume Noon start on 7/2 and 4 PM finish on 7/25. 556 elapsed hours from the start to the finish. 2179 miles divided by 556 hours equals 3.9 mph.
Old January 10th 19, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

True. But of course the TdeF isn't a continuous race it is made up of
relatively short segments with long rest periods in between :-) But if
you want, you might compare the Olympic Individual Sprint speeds. Of
course the Olympics are only held every four years :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old January 10th 19, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

You'd think that with four years rest time between Olympics, that the
sprinters would be even faster :-)

Old January 10th 19, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Well, that does give you a good feeling of why the races have become shorter and shorter through the years in order to increase the race averages.

Once a doper, Susan Walker Racing 24 September 7th 09 10:07 PM
Is Lance Armstrong a great doper or the greatest doper ever? Anton Berlin Racing 36 July 20th 09 09:42 AM
Doper admits!! [email protected] Racing 13 August 25th 06 11:24 AM
De Clerq a doper too? ronde chimp Racing 16 October 12th 04 07:44 PM
YAD (Yet Another Doper) NorcalOldTimer Racing 6 August 12th 04 12:53 AM