Cycling and vegetarianism

Old September 23rd 04, 12:43 AM
cyclemuse

Preston Crawford Wrote:
I've foudn it hard, as busy as I am, to get enough protein to feel
good,
especially as I ramp up my mileage. So last summer I started eating
fish
again after being a vegetarian for 5 years. I'm thinking of starting
turkey again. I think between turkey and fish and egg whites and yogurt
should be good to go in terms of protein.

Has anyone here struggled with this issue? Do you think I'm doing the
right thing or do you think I should consider trying sources like soy
before turkey? The main reason for choosing turkey is because of its
ease
of use as a protein source at work. Throw together a quick sandwich
and
theres 20% of my protein for the day, you know.

Preston

Hmmm... sorry about the delay to this question. I'm actually vegan
and I still manage to get 3000+ calories a day (20% protein, 20% fat,
and 60% carbs). I get my protein from beans (vegatarian chili is good
but soy biproducts abound, anyways), and green leafy vegetables.
Sometimes, after a particularly hard ride I'll drink some orange juice
with soy protien powder (like Jarrow's) or eat some veggie jerquee to
speed the recovery. I also cook with Bragg's liquid Aminos to boost
protein absorption. If you start your day with oatmeal everyday, its
all much more manageable.

--
cyclemuse

Old September 23rd 04, 01:29 PM
ianf

If you are O Blood Group, then vegetarianism or Turkey is not OK. Keep

off the wheat, the dairy, the pork, the oranges, the cauliflower and so
on but go heavy on the red meat (beef) oily fish, pineapple and some
greens. Keep off the potato and the cabbage too.
However, if you are A blood group, then be a happy vegetarian and don't
look for protein outside of occasional chicken, some fish types and eat
plenty of Soya.
Dr Peter d'Adamo, Eat Right for Your Type. Believe me, it works!
On 31 Aug 2004 20:18:48 GMT, David Reuteler

wrote:

Bill Baka wrote:
FWIW when I set out on a long ride I eat about 3 chicken breasts, 6

raw
eggs,
and a glass of Orange Juice. I take a gallon of that for carbs.

Semi
vegetarian diet.

pray tell in what universe is that semi-vegetarian?

The original poster was going to eat turkey. How is chicken breasts

any
different than turkey?
[/color]

it's not -- neither is vegetarian.
--
david reuteler

--
ianf

Old September 23rd 04, 02:02 PM
DRS

"Chris BeHanna" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.06.05.10.33.829781@allspammersmus tdie.behanna.org

On 2004-09-03, DRS wrote:

[...snip...]

Don't argue with it, Preston. It has absolutely nothing better to
do with its time, and as you've observed, it has a monomaniacal need
to "be right."

You are full of ****. Crawford was wrong but can't deal with it. That
doesn't make me the bad guy. It just makes him wrong.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 23rd 04, 02:03 PM
DRS

"ianf" wrote in message

If you are O Blood Group, then vegetarianism or Turkey is not OK.
Keep

off the wheat, the dairy, the pork, the oranges, the cauliflower and
so on but go heavy on the red meat (beef) oily fish, pineapple and
some greens. Keep off the potato and the cabbage too.
However, if you are A blood group, then be a happy vegetarian and
don't look for protein outside of occasional chicken, some fish types
and eat plenty of Soya.
Dr Peter d'Adamo, Eat Right for Your Type. Believe me, it works!

Who posted that inane rubbish? You mangled the attributions so badly it's
impossible to tell who said what.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 25th 04, 09:38 PM
HiRacer

Let's not let this puppy die. I'm having too much fun reading this
crap.

Anybody familiar with the China study? The one that correlated disease
with the amount of animal protein in the diet.

--
HiRacer