Good thing to check bike when new sound comes suddenly

Old June 23rd 17, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Good thing to check bike when new sound comes suddenly

I was riding home from out in the country this evening when the bike started making a unusual asound. It sounded like a brake pad rubbing on a rim. Stopped, checked front brake pads then the rear brake pads. Got back on the bike and rode a bit further but the sound (intermittent kept coming back) so I flipped open the quick release on each brake. the sound continued. Stopped again and checked to see if a fender was rubbing. Niope. Rode a bit further but didn't likethe sound so stopped again to make sure a brake pad wasn't rubbing a tirer. Nope. Checking everything else carefully I found a small split in the rear fender and in that small split was a small pice of sharp stone. Had I kept riding and not botheredto chase down the source ofthat sudden onset unusual sound that stone would have most likely cut through the tire before I got back home. It often pays to check for what causes a sudden onset unusual sound on a bicycle. then again I could have left it and when the tired failed I could have then complained about the tire quality.

Cheers
Old June 23rd 17, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 7:43:06 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I was riding home from out in the country this evening when the bike started making a unusual asound. It sounded like a brake pad rubbing on a rim. Stopped, checked front brake pads then the rear brake pads. Got back on the bike and rode a bit further but the sound (intermittent kept coming back) so I flipped open the quick release on each brake. the sound continued. Stopped again and checked to see if a fender was rubbing. Nope. Rode a bit further but didn't like the sound so stopped again to make sure a brake pad wasn't rubbing a tire. Nope. Checking everything else carefully I found a small split in the rear fender and in that small split was a small piece of sharp stone. Had I kept riding and not bothered to chase down the source of that sudden onset unusual sound that stone would have most likely cut through the tire before I got back home. It often pays to check for what causes a sudden onset unusual sound on a bicycle. then again I could have left it and when the tired failed I could have then complained about the tire quality.

One of the noises I chased down recently was when in the lowest cog and the middle chain ring there would be a slight squeaking sound every pedal revolution. It turned out to be the chain hitting the step in the triple front derailleur. Only in one spot and not hard. Readjusting the front derailleur didn't help much but lifting the derailleur a bit did. But then you could over-shift the large ring. So I had to set it tight so that it won't shift up into the big ring without you holding it on until after it shifts.

So the Eddy Merckx and the Basso have the same problem with the 10 speed front derailleur. The Eddy is made with SLX but Basso made their own tubing and it rides better. Larger diameter but not as large as Columbus OS tubes.
Old June 24th 17, 09:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 19:43:03 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

You should certainly have left well enough alone. think of the great
thread you aborted. Perhaps "My Fender ate a rock", or ,"Rocket my
tire" :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 24th 17, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Regarding bike noises: Our tandem had developed a very frustrating
squeak. It happened in sync with crank cadence, but was sporadic.
Sometimes it would happen just five to ten times, sometimes it would go
on for half an hour. I couldn't tell if pedaling hard vs. soft made a
difference.

I suspected my wife's (stoker) saddle or seatpost. Both have some
suspension action. But spraying lubricants into every pivot, every
contact point of the springs, etc. made no difference.

Yesterday I tried removing some cosmetic plastic trim on the saddle's
bottom. No difference. Then I found one tiny spot under the nose of
the saddle where the saddle cover protruded from its staples and barely
touched the saddle's wire frame. When I squirted that spot, the
squeaking stopped.

... for now, that is.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 25th 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

.... and it's back. #%@*!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 25th 17, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

how many loose cruiser chain guards spotted ?

a classic rusty rocker panel syndrome

a fine length of clear fishing line nailed me off front fork into spokes.

Old June 25th 17, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Check the seat post. I had nasty squeaks on the MTB, sometimes
cadence-synchronous, sometimes when rolling on rough trails. Turned out
the seat post was a whopping 5cm shorter than in the MTB specs. So I got
the longest one I could find (Oval Concepts 750) and lubed it with
"Permatex Aluminum Anti-Seize Lubricant". No more squeaks.

Later a rattle began to show but I know what this is, a rear shock mount
that gradually goes to pots but not much can be done about that (other
than carrying a 6mm Allen wrench in the shorts when riding rough trails).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 25th 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 7:54:31 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

(other
than carrying a 6mm Allen wrench in the shorts when riding rough trails).

It isn't uh, normal, to brag about only 6 mm in you shorts.

A bike becomes suddenly viable. Simon Mason UK 21 August 5th 11 12:38 AM
A funny thing happened at the velodrome, or ... why helmets are a good thing! Bleve Australia 43 January 11th 07 10:09 AM
One more thing you have to check in before boarding -- your teen! Claire Petersky General 2 August 18th 06 07:14 PM
too much of a good thing trino General 3 July 26th 06 02:02 AM
Too much of a good thing? j-p.s UK 9 August 29th 03 10:39 AM