Littering cyclists are their own worst enemy

Old May 29th 17, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Littering cyclists are their own worst enemy

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 4:29:54 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 29/05/2017 02:24, wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 11:56:21 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 28/05/2017 02:06,
wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 1:09:25 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 23/05/2017 19:14,
wrote:
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 8:23:56 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 22/05/2017 19:32,
wrote:
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 7:09:01 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 22/05/2017 18:49,
wrote:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e...t-spring-clean

It cost the taxpayer £6million to clear up the litter dropped by cyclists on our motorway network last year.
No wonder there is no money for proper cycle paths.

Something needs to be done.

Shoot littering cyclists?

Harsh, but fair, some might think, but you are right; it's a problem
that needs to be addressed.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/rider-rubbish-is-becoming-a-sad-by-product-of-cyclings-popularity-195235

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=192 0&bih=950&q=cycle+race+litter&oq=cycle+race+litter &gs_l=img.3...860.3905.0.4369.18.18.0.0.0.0.107.11 30.16j1.17.0....0...1.1.64.img..1.13.875.0..0j35i3 9k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.p2yH81tok3g#imgrc=3SzOx6y27ZdT yM:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12630267

http://inrng.com/2013/02/trash-talk-racing-waste/

Mind you, the drivers who chuck cigarette packets, matches and other
trash out of vehicle windows are just as bad: honorary cyclists, as you
imply.

I am not going to bother clicking on those links.

You don't have to if you don't want to.

I have better things to do.

They are links direct to images and simply reading the URL (in each
case) will tell you all you need to know).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...Ox6y27Zd TyM:

What language is that in? Gobbledegook?

I believe it is what is known as a URL (Unique Resource Locator).

Actually it's UNIFORM resource Locator.

I am no expert on distributed computing, but why am I not surprised that
you know absolutely nothing about it?

W^5

So you claim.
Anyone can invent a URL.

But no-one could invent a URL which could not be checked by clicking on it.

Why should I do your work for you?

What "work" do you mean?

Explaining what is in your links.

And those URLs are what they purport to be.

Why are you so reluctant to tell us what is in your links?

The links themselves tell you that (and this is the third time you've
been advised of that).

Look at the tell-tale bits of the links:

1: rider-rubbish-is-becoming-a-sad-by-product-of-cyclings-popularity

2: cycle+race+litter&oq=cycle+race+litter

3. [non-specific, but a link to bikeradar.com]

4: trash-talk-racing-waste

London Marathon

Eh?

You are talking about organised events open to the public where litter is inevitable.
I was talking about everyday travel.

Littering is never acceptable.

It's an offence.

Cyclists: take your rubbish home where it probably won't look out of place.

How childish.

Old June 2nd 17, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 2:15:18 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 29/05/2017 18:01, wrote:

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 4:29:54 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 29/05/2017 02:24,
wrote:

[ ... ]

You are talking about organised events open to the public where litter is inevitable.
I was talking about everyday travel.

I was doing no such thing.

Yes you were

I was talking about litter cast into the
public envirom=nment by cyclists.

No, you were trying to blame utility cyclists for the litter dropped by competitors in organised events.
I suppose you think IOM TT racers should stop and place their Rip-off visors in the nearest bin.

That is not "inevitable"; it is an anti-social choice made by the
cyclists concerned.

London Marathon again, should the runners have to hold on to their empty water bottles or should the organisers arrange cleanup after the event.

I do not dump litter. Do you?

Unlike motorists I dispose of me litter responsibly.

Littering is never acceptable.
It's an offence.
Cyclists: take your rubbish home where it probably won't look out of place.

How childish.

Quite right - cyclists wantonly dropping litter are behaving like
badly-behaved children.

Maybe they get their example from motorists who think this is acceptable behaviour.

Their litter would look much less out of place back at their homes than
it would strewn along the highway or on a village green.

I'm glad we agree.

How childish.

Old June 3rd 17, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/06/2017 11:34, TMS320 wrote:

On 02/06/17 02:15, JNugent wrote:
On 29/05/2017 18:01, wrote:
On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 4:29:54 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 29/05/2017 02:24,
wrote:

[ ... ]

You are talking about organised events open to the public where
litter is inevitable. I was talking about everyday travel.

I was doing no such thing. I was talking about litter cast into the
public envirom=nment by cyclists.
That is not "inevitable"; it is an anti-social choice made by the
cyclists concerned.

Stop singling out "cyclists".

Have look up at the top of the screen.

What does it say?

Ah, yes... "uk.rec.cycling".

Littering is done by anti-social people
however they happen to transport themselves.

And here, we are discussing anti-social cyclists, not people in general.

If you wish to discuss other anti-social people, find a more appropriate
NG for it. This isn't it.

If you're determined to
complain, please give evidence that rubbish from people riding bicycles
creates a problem proportionally greater than average. If you can't then
shut up.

You don't get the concept of appropriateness, do you?

Or that of civilised discourse.

If it happened to be (a suggestion only, I have no evidence either way)
that the proportion from people riding bicycles is less than average,
would you stop whingeing? Or do you just blindly insist that in an
imperfect world "cyclists" must always be perfect?

What has the concept of the average amount of litter - or proportion(s)
of it - got to do with anything?

I always (a) bin refuse immediately where facilities exist, (b) carry it
by hand or pocket until I find an appropriate place to dispose of it or
(c) transport it home or to a recyling facility or public refuse
facility. That is regardless of the size, weight or awkwardness of the
item(s) in question. That, I suggest, is the correct way to proceed. I
do it. I would hope that you do it. Why shouldn't all cyclists - all of
them - do the same?

Whence comes the self-perception of (too many) cyclists such that they
"think" they are above compliance with environmental law (and, as we
know, certain other types of legislation)?

Just look at this, for instance (a perfectly safe URL, BTW, just like
those others below):

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/14671823.Ride_London_litter_in_Richmond_Park___whi ch_is_harmful_to_deer___up__90_per_cent__on_2015/

And how does it come about that you - admittedly among others - cannot
bring yourself to simply condemn filthy, anti-social cyclists who litter
the environment without trying to trivialise their offences by claiming
that they aren't the only ones?

I, and no doubt others, have no difficulty at all in condemning the
throwing of litter by pedestrians or from motor vehicles without feeling
any need to refer to the similar or worse habits of too many cyclists.
Naturally, such criticism would usually be made somewhere other than
uk.rec.cycling, and probably in a more appropriate and effective place
than an online discussion board anyway, as you would logically expect.

http://road.cc/content/news/81390-top-riders-risk-missing-li%C3%A8ge-bastogne-li%C3%A8ge-after-environmental-groups-litter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3799101/Litter-lout-cyclists-slammed-discarding-hundreds-plastic-gel-packets-killed-deer-Richmond-Park-race.html

And here's one where the author does what you do - tries to think of an
fanciful explanation where it isn't the fault of the cyclists fouling
beautiful locations:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2015/06/22/oped-caution-cyclist-stops-litter#.WTK8dGjyuUk

Old June 3rd 17, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 29/05/2017 18:01, wrote:
On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 4:29:54 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 29/05/2017 02:24,

[ ... ]

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ental-disaster

Old June 4th 17, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 29/05/2017 18:01, wrote:
On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 4:29:54 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 29/05/2017 02:24,
wrote:

[ ... ]

You are talking about organised events open to the public where
litter is inevitable. I was talking about everyday travel.

I was doing no such thing. I was talking about litter cast into the
public envirom=nment by cyclists.
That is not "inevitable"; it is an anti-social choice made by the
cyclists concerned.

Stop singling out "cyclists".

Have look up at the top of the screen.

What does it say?

Ah, yes... "uk.rec.cycling".

You love precision (except in connection with vehicle tax) The word is
cycling, not cyclists.

Littering is done by anti-social people however they happen to
transport themselves.

And here, we are discussing anti-social cyclists, not people in general.

If you wish to discuss other anti-social people, find a more appropriate
NG for it. This isn't it.

My response is to you.

If you're determined to complain, please give evidence that rubbish
from people riding bicycles creates a problem proportionally greater
than average. If you can't then shut up.

You don't get the concept of appropriateness, do you?

Or that of civilised discourse.

If it happened to be (a suggestion only, I have no evidence either
way) that the proportion from people riding bicycles is less than
average, would you stop whingeing? Or do you just blindly insist that
in an imperfect world "cyclists" must always be perfect?

What has the concept of the average amount of litter - or proportion(s)
of it - got to do with anything?

Should bicycle users be perfect in an imperfect world? Stop evading.
Old June 4th 17, 03:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 29/05/2017 18:01, wrote:
On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 4:29:54 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 29/05/2017 02:24,
wrote:

[ ... ]

You are talking about organised events open to the public where
litter is inevitable. I was talking about everyday travel.

I was doing no such thing. I was talking about litter cast into the
public envirom=nment by cyclists.
That is not "inevitable"; it is an anti-social choice made by the
cyclists concerned.

Stop singling out "cyclists".

Have look up at the top of the screen.
What does it say?
Ah, yes... "uk.rec.cycling".

You love precision (except in connection with vehicle tax) The word is
cycling, not cyclists.

Who does all that cycling, then?

Littering is done by anti-social people however they happen to
transport themselves.

And here, we are discussing anti-social cyclists, not people in general.

If you wish to discuss other anti-social people, find a more
appropriate NG for it. This isn't it.

My response is to you.

....and on the wrong topic.

If you're determined to complain, please give evidence that rubbish
from people riding bicycles creates a problem proportionally greater
than average. If you can't then shut up.

You don't get the concept of appropriateness, do you?
Or that of civilised discourse.

If it happened to be (a suggestion only, I have no evidence either
way) that the proportion from people riding bicycles is less than
average, would you stop whingeing? Or do you just blindly insist that
in an imperfect world "cyclists" must always be perfect?

What has the concept of the average amount of litter - or
proportion(s) of it - got to do with anything?

Should bicycle users be perfect in an imperfect world? Stop evading.

Cyclists should not shed litter in public spaces and particularly not in
places of natural beauty.

If only perfect people are able to refrain from such anti-social
behaviour, I thank you for the compliment but fear that I am far from
perfect in other ways, even though I certainly never dump litter. And if
I can avoid it, so can anyone.

Did you see the pictures, BTW? And the articles in cycling magazines
about littering by cyclists?

Or do you just prefer to pretend it doesn't happen?
Old June 4th 17, 03:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:
On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 4:29:54 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 29/05/2017 02:24,
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

I absolutely agree that not only cyclists dump litter in public space
and I have no difficulty in condenming it no matter who does it.

There. 'Owzat?

But then, I can't call myself a big fan of joggers and runners either.
They certainly ought not to be allowed to get away with fouling the
streets like that.