Electrolytes

Old June 21st 17, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Electrolytes

On 6/20/2017 5:30 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I'm not a fan of cookies because, if my nose is stuffy, trying to breathe with crumbs in my mouth can be fatal. I was eating cookies riding down Mt. Bachelor on Saturday and nearly choked to death.

See? THAT'S the kind of practical safety information we should all be
sharing!

Death by cookie is sadly under-reported. I thank Jay for bringing this
critical problem to light.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 21st 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/20/2017 7:03 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 3:09:07 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 6/20/17 9:00 AM,
wrote:
I have rather a serious problem. When I ride I usually eat and drink nothing more than a pastry and a cup of coffee. The results of this are that I get extremely tired on long rides.

After reading physiological training books I'm informed that you should consume liquids with electrolytes in them - mainly slightly sweetened water with potassium and sodium in them. That is a type of cooking salt I believe.

Looking the drinks up that are replacement drinks the only one's I can see that aren't pure hype are Gatorade and Red Bull. The second one contains a little caffeine as well but only about 1/10th what you would get in a cup of coffee.

The "Sports Bars" and "Sports Drinks" in the stores upon reading the labels would scare the pants off of you. The amounts of sugar are so high that they cause your digestive process to freeze up and stop.

Does anyone have any good ideas about making your own sports drink since the cost of Gatorade or Red Bull are rediculous?

Look into Brawndo, The Thirst Mutilator. It's got electrolytes, and it's
what plants crave.

Seriously though, you can buy a 4 pound container of Gatorade powder,
which makes 36 quarts, for less than $11 at Costco
https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Gatorade-Perform-Drink-Mix%2C-Frost-Glacier-Freeze%2C-4-lbs.product.11980343.html.
That's about 30¢ per quart, or about 19¢ to fill a standard 20 ounce
bicycle water bottle.

There's a bunch of homemade "Gatorade" recipes but since they tend to
use natural ingredients (juice, water, sea salt, honey) they're much
more expensive than buying the Gatorade powder which doesn't have the
expense of real juice or honey or sea salt, and is mostly just sugar,
citric acid, artificial flavors, and salt.

lemon juice... as a lemon .... with a sprinkle of salt in chilled Dasani does it.

A few years ago, my wife and I visited Cinque Terre national park in
Italy. It's a chain of five remote villages connected only by boats, a
Mussolini-era railroad, and centuries-old hiking trails through farmed
terraces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinque_Terre

As we hiked along in the heat, we came upon an old gentleman who was
picking lemons off a tree, slicing them in half and giving them to
passing hikers. Delicious!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 21st 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/20/2017 2:30 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 12:09:07 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 6/20/17 9:00 AM, wrote:
[...]

Welcome to Costco. I love you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zNsUTWsOc

And the scary thing is that Idiocracy is coming true.
Old June 21st 17, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 3:18:57 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 21/06/17 06:44, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 11:54:31 AM UTC-7, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 20-06-17 18:00,
wrote:
I have rather a serious problem. When I ride I usually eat and
drink nothing more than a pastry and a cup of coffee. The results
of this are that I get extremely tired on long rides.

After reading physiological training books I'm informed that you
should consume liquids with electrolytes in them - mainly
slightly sweetened water with potassium and sodium in them. That
is a type of cooking salt I believe.

Just to be clear, although sodium is a part of common salt (sodium
chloride), potassium is different and not found in cooking salt.
Both are absolutely required as salts, typically sodium chloride
and potassium chloride, for every kind of cell in your body to
function properly (sodium is mostly outside cells and potassium
inside). You lose both sodium and potassium when you sweat.

I don't usually ride more than 4 to max. 6 hours at a time, and
stop for lunch after a couple of hours. I assume that the lunch is
what allows me to go without taking any supplements.

Could part or all of your problem be low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
if you exercise too much and don't eat enough?

Ned

Well certainly I must have low blood sugar but you recover from that
pretty fast with a candy bar. I like to pack a PayDay Bar when I
remember it. Nothing more than sugar covered in peanuts.

But that isn't the same problem as having your legs go completely
dead.

I find peanuts difficult to digest and often repeat on me if I've eaten
them before intense exercise.

You find endurance riding "intense"? It was hotter than the blazes yesterday and is supposed to be hotter today and tomorrow. Yet I did 36 miles at a 14.7 mph average in the city and wasn't particularly tired when I got back. I did have a cup of coffee at the half way mark.

But climbing would have been an entirely different story. I somehow have to get back to drinking often. My wife says that we used to put away a bottle per hour on centuries. But the last metric I was on I only drank at one rest stop and the lunch stop and arrived back with a full bottle. And I was one of the faster guys on the metric. Faster than those riding the metric and not racing the metric.

Old June 21st 17, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-06-20 09:00, wrote:
I have rather a serious problem. When I ride I usually eat and drink
nothing more than a pastry and a cup of coffee. The results of this
are that I get extremely tired on long rides.

No water? I drink copious amounts. Some people ridicule me when I
mention that I carry a whole gallon on my MTB when doing the 28mi
western loop which has no sports fields, schools or other refill
opportunities. Well, only until the first time they ride it on a hot day
and run out of water in the middle of nowhere.

After reading physiological training books I'm informed that you
should consume liquids with electrolytes in them - mainly slightly
sweetened water with potassium and sodium in them. That is a type of
cooking salt I believe.

Looking the drinks up that are replacement drinks the only one's I
can see that aren't pure hype are Gatorade and Red Bull. The second
one contains a little caffeine as well but only about 1/10th what you
would get in a cup of coffee.

The "Sports Bars" and "Sports Drinks" in the stores upon reading the
labels would scare the pants off of you. The amounts of sugar are so
high that they cause your digestive process to freeze up and stop.

Does anyone have any good ideas about making your own sports drink
since the cost of Gatorade or Red Bull are rediculous?

We use this powder and mix up in small water bottles:

http://www.ultimareplenisher.com/pro...ving-canister/

Crummy web site but good stuff. On the MTB is mixes itself by all the
shaking. Amazon has it and sometimes I get it via EBay. Usually comes to
a cost of around 30c/bottle. Since then, no more cramps and most of all
hardly any lower leg cramps in the wee hours of the night after ride.
The ones where you almost want to scream. It also helps my wife who does
not ride but got cramps once in a while.

I prefer the orange flavor. Tried the citrus but for me that tasted too
much like artificial sweetener.

Other than that I eat one small non-sweet power-bar (home-baked) during
rides up to 5h. If I go longer than 5h I carry an additional 2-3 small
sandwiches from home-made and very dense bread. Baked from trub, which
is the residue in the bottom of a fermenter after home-brewing beer.
That has kept me from the dreaded bonk that I experienced once and never
want to go through again.

And, of course, hardly any ride will be done without a stop for a nice
fresh Double-IPA, Belgian Tripel or similar. Preferably brewed right at
the pub.

If you are after caffeine there used to be (still is?) Jolt Cola.
Software engineers told me that can keep them awake and coding all night.

It never occurred to me to look on Amazon. I haven't been able to find the powder in stores.
Old June 22nd 17, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Compare lemon in chilled spring water to Gatorade.

Gator contains pine sap, poss physio damaging but psy pleasing
Old June 22nd 17, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-06-20 09:00,
wrote:

[...]

[...]

Between EBay and Amazon you can always find Ultima Replenisher. On EBay
sales vanish fast. One evening my mountain bike buddy said "Where do you
get this stuff?", we found a great deal on EBay, he ordered right from
his cell. We had a couple more beers and after he went home I wanted to
order some more there as well ... deal was gone.

This electrolyte and Lavazza Espresso are some of the staples we order
in small enough quantities to nudge and order over Amazon's min free
ship qty when ordering other stuff, such as a new bike tire that's under
$20. Kind of the "standby orders".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/