Does Your City Require Bicycle Registration?

Old June 25th 17, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Does Your City Require Bicycle Registration?

Advanced gumming no cigar

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...0&as_sdtp=&oq=

General seaching brings in cycling cures.

Portland suffers from extractive industry cigar coding ?

All places lived in here have excellent parking ...why else live there ?
Old June 25th 17, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

jbeattie wrote:

:BTW, I personally hate taking TriMet because I always get the seat next
:to the lunatic who just wet his pants, but that's just my bad luck.

You should hear what the people who sit next to you have to say...

--
sig 52
Old June 25th 17, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, 23 June 2017 20:48:57 UTC-4, sms wrote:
Last Tuesday someone from our Bicycle-Pedestrian Commission approached
me about our City's law requiring bicycle registration. I didn't even
realize it was still on the books, but it is. How common is this?

She wants us to repeal that law, even though there's no way to actually
register a bicycle, and there is no enforcement.

I was also successful in saving our planned "Bicycle Boulevard." Even
those people that rail against bicycle infrastructure tend to like
bicycle boulevards which remove most stop signs and have traffic calming
to discourage a lot of vehicle traffic. The one in Palo Alto/Mountain
View is extremely popular. One council member didn't want to spend the
money, but he finally agreed to it.

In other bicycle-related news, the San Jose, the City Council approved
an 18 story apartment building. They will have an automatic car parking
system and intentionally won't provide enough parking for residents in
an effort to get occupants to use non-existent mass transit. And so
residents can go grocery shopping they'll have one (1) bicycle cargo
trailer that can be checked out.

The City of Ottawa used to require bicyclists to bear a licence plate, but
ended that in the early 1970s to promote cycling. When I moved onto an army
base in Western Manitoba, they required that residents register their bicycles
with the military police, and likely still do. I still have that plate on the
bulletin board in my office.
--
Andrew Chaplin
Old June 25th 17, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default military bikes (was: Does Your City Require Bicycle Registration?)

When I moved onto an army base in Western
Manitoba, they required that residents
register their bicycles with the military
police, and likely still do. I still have
that plate on the bulletin board in
my office.

As it happened, I just now carried upstairs
a military bike! Only it is blue! Here is
a photo [1].

The brand is "Kronan" ("The Crown") which hints
at the military and monarchy rather than the
king of bikes.

The tires are huge, 28 x 1 1/2 according to the
reading but inflated on the outside with
a calipers it is more like 1 13/16 - this makes
me wonder, 1 1/2 does refer to the inflated
tire from above, not the outer or inner rim
width, right? I suppose it is just an
unreliable unit, even more so with inflation...

Inflate to 50 psi! Just like (?) the 42-622
which actually says 50-75 psi.

The bike is blue! I have seen versions of the
same bike in blue, red, and green - the most
common color. It is tempting to think of it as
the navy, the fire department, and the army.
But actually I think the navy had/have green
bikes as well.

These bikes were manufactured until the 80s.
Of those, this is a more recent edition,
I think.

It has a single speed Torpedo rear wheel.
The rims makes for a "v". I suppose this gives
additional strength, and distances the spoke
nipples from the tube. But because the rim side
is so short, a rim hand brake will be difficult
to mount. Actually when these bikes had hand
brakes it was drum brakes, with the lever
integrated just below the handle.

Other than that the chain guard is mounted not
from below but twice from the side (back and
forth) and once from above. This makes for
faster work as that downmost bolt is always the
most time consuming to do. Also it seems
more robust.

Yes! I've seen this with registration plates.
This one doesn't come with it tho.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/military.jpg

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old June 26th 17, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/24/17 2:00 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 6/24/2017 6:35 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 5:48:57 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

We have a lot of those apartment buildings with no parking and bad
mass transit.

Jay, I know it's an American (human?) birthright to complain about local
facilities, but surely the mass transit in Portland is vastly superior
to that in most Cal. cities? (I grew up in L.A. suburbs, so I have part
of a clue).

Tomorrow, San Jose is likely to approve massive development along
Stevens Creek Boulevard, a road with no mass transit, and no plans for
any--just some very slow buses. It's going to cause even more freeway
gridlock. True mass transit costs a lot of money, and developers are
certainly not going to pay for it.

Portland is actually pretty impressive in terms of transit. But this
idea of building new buildings with insufficient parking, with the idea
that that will result in people not owning cars is ludicrous. People
will find somewhere to park. And even doing permit parking in adjacent
neighborhoods is not a solution to prevent them from parking there,
they'll just to right to the edge of the permit parking area.

Old June 28th 17, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

After looking into this issue - actually I just ran
into it in a book - there was once in certain cities
*mandatory* to have a registration plate on your bike.
There wasn't any national policy so each city had its
own rules. In Stockholm it was mandatory until 1894.
The plate was most often black with with digits and
sometimes a letter to indicate the city.

In the same book I also read that there was once bike
factories in almost every city. Lund, which is
important because it houses a university, but other
than that isn't important at all and is surrounded by
several lager cities, in Lund there were
24 bike factories!

In Gothenburg, once super-industrialized, and also the
"Norwegian" part of Sweden with lots of boats and
trade with the UK (as opposed to the rest with
railways to trade with Germany etc.), in Gothenburg
there were 64 bike factories!

Unbelievable!

I knew de-industrialization is a fact but not that
once-industrialization was this "distributed"!
64 bike factories in a single city?!

It doesn't say if all those did the entire bike or if
one did the fork and so on.

Old June 28th 17, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 2:37:19 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

Very nice! But it is Tactical?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/6196530974.html
Old June 28th 17, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Doug Landau writes:

Very nice! But it is Tactical?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/6196530974.html

That looks more like a 90s MTB or "ATB" with the bars
and all.

The Swedish police have bikes as well but they never
seem to use 'em.

They went to the Netherlands to get education and also
learn what bikes to use. I don't know exactly but
I don't think they look like that, more modest and
old-school.

Old June 29th 17, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 23:11:44 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Doug Landau writes:

Very nice! But it is Tactical?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/6196530974.html

That looks more like a 90s MTB or "ATB" with the bars
and all.

The Swedish police have bikes as well but they never
seem to use 'em.

They went to the Netherlands to get education and also
learn what bikes to use. I don't know exactly but
I don't think they look like that, more modest and
old-school.

The Swiss Military were procuring a "military bicycle" up to, at
least, 2o12 when they procured 4,100 units of the MO-12 and I also see
a news article dated 2-14 stating that the Swiss Army was
"Switzerland's defence department has ordered the reinstatement of the
bicycle infantry for the Swiss Army in a bid to improve fitness
standards among soldiers"
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 29th 17, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

The Swiss Military were procuring a "military
bicycle" up to, at least, 2o12 when they
procured 4,100 units of the MO-12 and I also
see a news article dated 2-14 stating that
the Swiss Army was "Switzerland's defence
department has ordered the reinstatement of
the bicycle infantry for the Swiss Army in
a bid to improve fitness standards among
soldiers"

Switzerland? Do they even have an army?