Glueless Tire Patches

Old August 11th 09, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Glueless Tire Patches

I happened to be in a K-Mart store yesterday, and decided I'd see
what sort of bike stuff they had. The thing I noticed was a patch kit
that features patches that don't require cement/glue.
Anyone here have any experience with these patches? Maybe I just
have a suspicious nature, but they sound just a tad too good to be true.

Bill

__o | Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans
_`\(,_ | who are stuck in traffic on their way to the gym
(_)/ (_) | to ride the stationary bicycle. -- Earl Blumenauer
Old August 11th 09, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fred

wrote in message
I happened to be in a K-Mart store yesterday, and decided I'd see
what sort of bike stuff they had. The thing I noticed was a patch kit
that features patches that don't require cement/glue.
Anyone here have any experience with these patches? Maybe I just
have a suspicious nature, but they sound just a tad too good to be true.

I've used them - great.

Old August 11th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Aug 10, 10:57*pm, wrote:
* *I happened to be in a K-Mart store yesterday, and decided I'd see
what sort of bike stuff they had. *The thing I noticed was a patch kit
that features patches that don't require cement/glue.
* *Anyone here have any experience with these patches? *Maybe I just
have a suspicious nature, but they sound just a tad too good to be true.

They suck balls. Especially if they're the "Scabs" brand.
Old August 12th 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul

On Aug 10, 11:57*pm, wrote:
* *I happened to be in a K-Mart store yesterday, and decided I'd see
what sort of bike stuff they had. *The thing I noticed was a patch kit
that features patches that don't require cement/glue.
* *Anyone here have any experience with these patches? *Maybe I just
have a suspicious nature, but they sound just a tad too good to be true.

Last month I went through four tubes in one day that I had patched
last winter. Three were patched with glue less "Slime" and the fourth
was a different company, the name of which I cannot recall but they
were square instead of the round Slime ones. The first held long
enough to get the wheel back on the bike. The second held until the
next morning when it was flat, the third sprung a leak at about 95
psi, and the fourth held. I practiced good patching technique. I
suppose I should not use these and just go with new tubes. In short,
I don't trust them anymore.

Ted.
Old August 12th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Paul wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:57*pm, wrote:
[...]

So, Landotter doesn't like glueless, you don't like them, and have
bad experience to back you up, and Sheldon Brown also thinks they're
junk. I'd call that the proverbial Three Strikes.
No wonder K-Mart is the only place I've ever seen those things.

Bill

__o |
_`\(,_ | Burn fat, not oil.
(_)/ (_) |
Old August 12th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:
I happened to be in a K-Mart store yesterday, and decided I'd see
what sort of bike stuff they had. The thing I noticed was a patch kit
that features patches that don't require cement/glue.
Anyone here have any experience with these patches? Maybe I just
have a suspicious nature, but they sound just a tad too good to be true.

Bill

__o | Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans
_`\(,_ | who are stuck in traffic on their way to the gym
(_)/ (_) | to ride the stationary bicycle. -- Earl Blumenauer

I've used them on low pressure tires (MTB), they work OK, at least for a
while (months), but they seem to fail eventually. I've tried them once
or twice (in emergencies) on high pressure tires and they barely worked
(got me home at reduced pressure).

On the whole, I don't find them worth using. Gluing a conventional patch
isn't much harder, and they last forever. My tubes usually acquire many
patches before retirement.

The only thing I dislike about conventional patches is the tendency for
glue to dry out in the tube -- even unopened tubes. Carrying a glueless
patch or 2 is cheap insurance, just don't expect miracles. A better
approach probably is to carry multiple glue tubes and/or replace them
frequently.
Old August 12th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Aug 12, 12:06*am, wrote:
Paul wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:57*pm, wrote:
[...]

I tested the "Slime" ones as I saw 'em for cheap. I went through the
whole packet. None held air. Traditional patches like Park and Rema
take an extra few seconds for the glue to flash, big whoop.