ID for Riding

Old May 22nd 09, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default ID for Riding

A while back I seem to recall a thread on this NG about whether
riders should carry ID, driver's license, credit card, or whatever, in
case of accident or other need.
So tonight I'm watching the Giro d'Italia (hurrah for digital TV!),
and there's Levi Leipheimer hawking just such a product. A little
bracelet not unlike the MedicAlert variety, which can be engraved with
the cyclist's name, home phone, and evidently a couple more lines of
text of the rider's choosing.
Anybody have one of these? Comments on whether they seem to be worth
the money? How much are they? (I always get suspicious when the ad
doesn't mention the price.) IIRC the bracelets are sold at
www.rideid.com or something like that.

Bill (Frumious)

__o | Si hoc legere scis,
_`\(,_ | nimium eruditionis habes.
(_)/ (_) |
Old May 22nd 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bertha

On Fri, 22 May 2009 05:32:33 +0000 (UTC),
defied the laws of time and space to say:

Anybody have one of these? Comments on whether they seem to be worth
the money? How much are they? (I always get suspicious when the ad
doesn't mention the price.) IIRC the bracelets are sold at
www.rideid.com or something like that.

http://www.roadid.com/common/default.aspx

They're twenty bucks, USD. I can't remember if I heard about them here or
on another biking group I read. I've been planning to get one for my son
for his birthday, along with a bike.

-Bertha
--
"Here, kitty, kitty, kitty..." -- Schrodinger
Old May 22nd 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On May 22, 7:32*am, Bertha wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2009 05:32:33 +0000 (UTC),
defied the laws of time and space to say:

* *Anybody have one of these? *Comments on whether they seem to be worth
the money? *How much are they? *(I always get suspicious when the ad
doesn't mention the price.) *IIRC the bracelets are sold at
www.rideid.comor something like that. *

http://www.roadid.com/common/default.aspx

They're twenty bucks, USD. *I can't remember if I heard about them here or
on another biking group I read. I've been planning to get one for my son
for his birthday, along with a bike.

-Bertha
--
"Here, kitty, kitty, kitty..." * * * * * * * * *-- Schrodinger

I have seen Road ID links on bikejournal.com. Good to have something
on your, if you get hit, who know how far your DL might fly.
It does not have enough information to satify a California (and
possibly other states) Police officer, so they can hold you until they
do get proper ID for you.
One fellow on another group suggested offering a police officer your
passport. Qualifies as ID for non-driving purposes yet not enough
information to effectively issue a ticket (no address).
And going along that line, a Conch Republic passport is not official
but might or might not get you over a border.
Old May 22nd 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2009-05-22, Bertha wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2009 05:32:33 +0000 (UTC),
defied the laws of time and space to say:

Anybody have one of these? Comments on whether they seem to be worth
the money? How much are they? (I always get suspicious when the ad
doesn't mention the price.) IIRC the bracelets are sold at
www.rideid.com or something like that.

http://www.roadid.com/common/default.aspx

They're twenty bucks, USD. I can't remember if I heard about them here or
on another biking group I read. I've been planning to get one for my son
for his birthday, along with a bike.

I have one (the ankle strap, nice for biking in long pants sans chainguard).
I usually have my wallet on me, but the Road ID is nice because it has the
phone numbers (or whatever info you choose) engraved right on it. It's
also reflective, so it's a nice extra touch at night on a moving leg.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old May 23rd 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"Joy Beeson" wrote: A label stuck inside the helmet costs practically
nothing, and doesn't
irritate your wrist.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But then you need a bracelet with a message telling the ambulance crew (or
whoever) to look in your helmet. :-)

Old May 23rd 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bruce[_4_]

On 2009-05-22 05:32:05 -0700, Bertha said:

On Fri, 22 May 2009 05:32:33 +0000 (UTC),
defied the laws of time and space to say:

Anybody have one of these? Comments on whether they seem to be worth
the money? How much are they? (I always get suspicious when the ad
doesn't mention the price.) IIRC the bracelets are sold at
www.rideid.com or something like that.

http://www.roadid.com/common/default.aspx

They're twenty bucks, USD. I can't remember if I heard about them here or
on another biking group I read. I've been planning to get one for my son
for his birthday, along with a bike.

-Bertha

+1 for the Road ID - I got mine last Fall and liked it so much, I
upgraded to the web version (user updated web page with all the info
available - allergies/known med conditions/extra contact
numbers/doctors contact info/etc).

~Bruce in Redding, CA

Old May 23rd 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 23, 12:27*am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
"Joy Beeson" wrote: * A label stuck inside the helmet costs practically

nothing, and doesn't irritate your wrist.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But then you need a bracelet with a message telling the ambulance crew (or
whoever) to look in your helmet. :-)

Tattoos. Multiple ones, so they can ID you no matter which body parts
they manage to find.

It's the only way to be sure! You can't be too careful! It could
save you from anonymous burial in a pauper's grave!

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 23rd 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
writes:
A while back I seem to recall a thread on this NG about whether
riders should carry ID, driver's license, credit card, or whatever, in
case of accident or other need.
So tonight I'm watching the Giro d'Italia (hurrah for digital TV!),
and there's Levi Leipheimer hawking just such a product. A little
bracelet not unlike the MedicAlert variety, which can be engraved with
the cyclist's name, home phone, and evidently a couple more lines of
text of the rider's choosing.
Anybody have one of these? Comments on whether they seem to be worth
the money? How much are they? (I always get suspicious when the ad
doesn't mention the price.) IIRC the bracelets are sold at
www.rideid.com or something like that.

In British Columbia, in certain car/bike collision circumstances,
a driver's license is pretty much a must-have for insurance
coverage purposes. David Hay wrote an article about that in a
relatively recent issue of Momentum magazine. As I vaguely
recall, the jist of the article was if a British Columbian rider
who doesn't have a driver's license gets hit by the driver of an
under-insured or non-insured out-of-province vehicle, the rider
is SOL in terms of coverage by our para-socialized (monopolist)
auto insurance program: ICBC.

As a rider who doesn't possess a driver's license myself,
I just endeavour to not get hit by cars.

Personally, I can't stand wearing bracelets, or wris****ches
for that matter.

For ID, I can just look in my bike mirror and say: "Yup,
that's me."

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 23rd 09, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil Brooks

On May 23, 4:18*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

For ID, I can just look in my bike mirror and say: "Yup,
that's me."

Under 40, huh?

;-)

Climbing: riding on the tops vs riding on the brake hoods hizark21 Racing 20 July 29th 08 06:30 AM
Riding Rigid, Riding One Gear GeeDubb Mountain Biking 11 December 20th 06 02:49 AM
Speed averages between trail riding and road riding Brian Walker General 5 September 21st 05 12:39 AM
Riding LoomerMBV Mountain Biking 2 June 4th 04 12:10 PM
There's no riding like snow riding... Jonesy Mountain Biking 5 January 3rd 04 04:26 AM