Kool Stop Salmon for Campy?

Old June 12th 05, 07:30 PM
Xyzzy

Default Kool Stop Salmon for Campy?

I have been using Kool Stop salmon brake pads for my Shimano bikes for
a while, since the stock pads collect grit and stuff and score the
rims... I now have a Campy bike and I was wondering if the stock Campy
pads score rims or do I need to get Kool Stop pads?

I'm very happy with the stopping power of the stock pads... I just want
to protect my rims... I have the differential brakes if that matters...
Price isn't a problem, although $40 for a set of Campy brake pads seems
a bit high... However, if they work fine I am willing to use those...

Thanks!

--
Mike (Xyzzy)

Old June 12th 05, 08:00 PM
Mark Janeba

Xyzzy wrote:
I have been using Kool Stop salmon brake pads for my Shimano bikes for
a while, since the stock pads collect grit and stuff and score the
rims... I now have a Campy bike and I was wondering if the stock Campy
pads score rims or do I need to get Kool Stop pads?

Haven't had a problem with rim scoring with Campy pads, used them for
several years on a "dry" bike *and* a "rain" bike. Haven't used them on
a commute bike, though - that would be the real test, being the bike for
which I use the brakes a lot.

I'm very happy with the stopping power of the stock pads... I just want
to protect my rims... I have the differential brakes if that matters...
Price isn't a problem, although $40 for a set of Campy brake pads seems
a bit high... However, if they work fine I am willing to use those...

Rim scoring won't get bad in just a ride or two [1] - keep an eye on
your rims - if a problem develops, you'll have plenty of time to change
pads.

[1] Certain legendary Shimano rim-scorers excluded here. I think most
mfrs have learned that lesson by now.

Mark

Old June 12th 05, 10:59 PM
Pete Biggs

Xyzzy wrote:
I have been using Kool Stop salmon brake pads for my Shimano bikes for
a while, since the stock pads collect grit and stuff and score the
rims... I now have a Campy bike and I was wondering if the stock Campy
pads score rims or do I need to get Kool Stop pads?

Same thing eventually happens with Campags, and Kool Stops seem to work
and last better too.

~PB

Old June 12th 05, 11:09 PM
Matt O'Toole

Xyzzy wrote:

I have been using Kool Stop salmon brake pads for my Shimano bikes for
a while, since the stock pads collect grit and stuff and score the
rims... I now have a Campy bike and I was wondering if the stock Campy
pads score rims or do I need to get Kool Stop pads?

I'm very happy with the stopping power of the stock pads... I just
want to protect my rims... I have the differential brakes if that
matters... Price isn't a problem, although $40 for a set of Campy
brake pads seems a bit high... However, if they work fine I am
willing to use those...

Well, if the Campy pads are scoring your rims, then they are a problem. Kool
Stop pads always solve this problem for me, with stopping power as good or
better than anything else. So why not get some? Pad inserts to fit Campy shoes
are available, for a lot less than $40. Otherwise you can use the cheap
"Continental" pads, or buy new shoes with replaceable inserts.

Kool Stop makes the best brake pads, period.

Matt O.