Powered bicycle option

Old May 25th 06, 11:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Powered bicycle option

That looks like an interesting idea, Ken, especially if one were to use
Butanol to power it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanol

Personally though, I'd much rather pedal than puff smoke. :-)

Lewis.

*****

Old May 25th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I agree, electric assist is the way to go. BionX makes a good one available
in many wheel sizes, But they are still expensive ($1000+). I'd wait a few
years because I think this technology is going to really develop. Look at
all of the asian electric bikes flooding the market, at least here in
western Canada. I still want my bike to be a bike. The BionX units only
assist when you pedal. You can set it to assist your pedal input by 25%,
50%, 100%, 200% or not at all. I just ordered a recumbent trike, the Catrike
Road. I Plan on using this season to develop my mileage and fitness in
preparation for a decent tour, probably South England, The Netherlands,
Belgium, Germany and maybe France. I also plan to test electric assist if I
believe I will enjoy the trip more or it allows me to cover a greater
distance. Imagine touring in the comfort of a good recumbent trike and have
your efforts assisted, silently. It would be like being Superman! I urge any
older riders out there, if you are finding your enjoyment and mileage waning
and your wrists, back, neck , butt give you any grief, try a recumbent.
Especially trikes.

Links:
Sun Bicycles Catrike: www.catrike.com
BionX Electric assist: www.BionX.com

Grolsch

"SMS" wrote in message
That looks like an interesting idea, Ken, especially if one were to use
Butanol to power it.

I think the biggest problem is the noise. If you want a powered bicycle,
an electric motor and a battery may be more practical. With this engine,
forget about going on bike paths, while with an electric bicycle, no one
will really complain about it, even if you're not supposed to use an
electric bicycle on the paths.

Old May 25th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I saw some electric scooters on a website for under $1000. That might
be cheaper. Of course, you can't pedal.
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Old May 26th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

oilfreeandhappy wrote:
I saw some electric scooters on a website for under $1000. That might
be cheaper. Of course, you can't pedal.
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

I saw an electric trike on a website but they don't have prices yet.

http://www.boomerbents.com