Result of today's race

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 15th 14, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Result of today's race

On 15/04/2014 13:37, TMS320 wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote
On 14/04/2014 20:50, TMS320 wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote
On 14/04/2014 00:29, TMS320 wrote:

(*) To that end, I have just discovered that Specsavers sell ear plugs
with
a variety of characteristics. Now, should I go for music or
motorbike...

Suddenly losing one of your senses is one of the worst and most
dangerous
things any road user can suffer, to do it voluntarily smacks of
stupidity.

Quite. I value my hearing and should like to keep it in good order.

The use of headphones by cyclists has been a factor in many crashes
leading to deaths or serious injuries.

It cannot be denied that cyclists wearing headphones have been involved
in
crashes. Who says it was a factor?

So go right ahead.

Plugs do not reduce sound to nothing! Perceiving and interpreting sound
is
not a matter of the louder the better. Plugs reduce both foreground and
background a similar amount so relationship is retained. If plugs can be
tuned then there is no reason why perception can't be improved.

coroners say it was a factor.

Have you seen the transcripts?

Or is it, perhaps, that you read something written by a journalist? And
arrived at your own conclusion.

I think it is up to the cyclist to determine whether the senses are
compromised. Wouldn't you? Not a difficult thing to do.

Cyclists are too stupid to make up their own minds in a sensible fashion
with regard to safety, so they need to be forced to do things.

A google search for headphones and cyclists will show up many crashes
where the headphones are a factor, I see no reason to disbelieve the
findings of a coroner as reported in the press.

There are moves afoot in London to ban cycling with headphones, I am
sure there must be a good reason for that, it seems unlikley that it
would be randomly chosen for enforcement without reason or cause.