dog repellent

Old February 1st 05, 02:46 AM
Tom Sherman

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

Per GaryG:

Surely if pepper spray would "escalate" without "incapacitating" police
officers would not be carrying it (and using it).

Don't be too sure.

Some people can take a *lot* of pain and still keep their wits.

I wouldn't bet on pepper spray against a serious boxer.

Then it is a problem if this is the dog chasing you:
http://www.gifsplanet-univers.com/gifsplanet-univers.com/boxer.jpg.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Old February 1st 05, 05:50 PM
TBGibb

In article 0YdLd.37950$IV5.21977@attbi_s54, "Dave Reckoning"
writes:

Dear Marco, this was my tactic for a long time. I would yell species
specific epitaphs and tell the dog that I would kill it loud enough to rouse
the owner. Eventually I tired of this method because while it felt good the
first few times it took a lot of energy and did not really control the dogs
or the owners.

Actually a variant of this can be quite effective. You simply yell "LAWSUIT!"
at the top of your lungs over and over. Since dogs defend their property the
owner is likely in a nearby house and will hear it. The last time I did that
the dog has never been loose as I have gone to work since. It certainly didn't
hurt that it was at 0600 (AM) when all was quiet.

Tom Gibb
Old February 1st 05, 05:50 PM
TBGibb

In article , "GaryG"
writes:

Surely if pepper spray would "escalate" without "incapacitating" police
officers would not be carrying it (and using it).

Perhaps, but police officers usually have a backup means that measures
something between .357 and .45 inches in diameter.

Tom Gibb
Old February 1st 05, 06:20 PM

yeah, i do animal behavior communications research. I have zero
communication skills with dogs but then I ahven't worked with a dog for
geee over 40 years.
but when the dog bullets outta his yard, i spend a few precious moments
trying to reason with it
before i club the sucker to death.

a mugger is a mugger isa mugger...
notice some breeds do not chase cars!

Old February 1st 05, 07:46 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Earlier, you stated that Liquid Bullet is "80 times stronger
than MACE", but that does not tell us which of the Mace
products it's "80 times" stronger than. I assumed you were
referring to the chemical named "Mace" (the CN tear gas).

I was just quoting the Liquid Bullet web-page, and they don't clarify
which MACE they're comparing against, so you're probably right. My
recollection of the Liquid Bullet formula is that it's CN/CS plus OC
pepper resin.

FWIW, the product you mentioned does not sound reputable,
because:

1) It does not mention any specifics about the contents.
Reputable pepper sprays will state their relative strength,
using the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) - the standard way of
comparing pepper "heat".

I don't see any mention of the SHU rating of MACE, which
appears to be a "reputable" product:

Look on their FAQ's page, where it says:

"10. How "Hot" is my pepper spray?
OC pepper is generally measured in terms of Scoville Heat
Units (SHU's) or on a percentage basis. For example, one
spray might be 10% 500,000 SHU while another is 5%
1,000,000 SHU. Either spray will be effective in most cases."

Not really a clear explanation of "how hot is my pepper spray", and it
doesn't mention the SHU rating of MACE, either; so what does it tell you?

If you feel comfortable sending personal information
(name, address, credit card number, etc.) to what may
be a "fly-by-night" aol account, fine.

I take it you don't believe the statement on the site that it was
created in 1999.

--
"Oh, Alison, my aim is true"
-- Elvis Costello, "Alison" (1977)

Old February 2nd 05, 04:31 AM
Bill Cotton

"GaryG" wrote in message
"Greg" wrote in message
On 5 separate incidents this morning I was chased by dogs. One of them
was a pack of 4 dogs. I'm up for sprinting to outrun them once or
twice, but 5 times? Does anybody use dog repellent? If so, what brand
and where do you put it (jersey, clip to shorts, etc)

A small canister of "cop strength" pepper spray fits neatly in a jersey
pocket, and works like a charm on dogs. If there's more than one dog, aim
for the leader.
...G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

I wanted my halt to be on the bicycle. On my touring bicycle I carry the
Halt in a side pocket on my front bag. A picture of my road bicycle on this
page http://www.billcotton.com/gps.htm shows the Halt held with double
sides velco under the nose on my bicycle seat.
--
www.billcotton.com