Was Lance palying head games?

Old May 25th 04, 01:53 AM
PedalChick

Default Was Lance palying head games?

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote in message ...

OK, DDS - tell me what the deal is with you dentist types. In about
1979, I had this metal filling put in my tooth. Back then, my dentist
shot me full of novocaine, my whole face went numb, I drooled all over
myself and it still hurt like hell.
Flash forward to 2004 and the filling has gone bad, my tooth has
broken. I go in to get another filling and what does the freakin'
dentist do??? He shoots me full of novocaine. The whole right side of
my face goes numb. He drills and it still hurts, and later on my face
is still numb, I"m drooling on myself and my tooth hurts at the same
time.

So, why has EVERY OTHER MEDICAL PROFESSION advanced in technology, and
the dentistry folks are still in the freakin' DARK AGES???

Or is it just my damn dentist?
Old May 25th 04, 03:01 AM
Carl Sundquist

"PedalChick" wrote in message
om...
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote in message

OK, DDS - tell me what the deal is with you dentist types. In about
1979, I had this metal filling put in my tooth. Back then, my dentist
shot me full of novocaine, my whole face went numb, I drooled all over
myself and it still hurt like hell.
Flash forward to 2004 and the filling has gone bad, my tooth has
broken. I go in to get another filling and what does the freakin'
dentist do??? He shoots me full of novocaine. The whole right side of
my face goes numb. He drills and it still hurts, and later on my face
is still numb, I"m drooling on myself and my tooth hurts at the same
time.

So, why has EVERY OTHER MEDICAL PROFESSION advanced in technology, and
the dentistry folks are still in the freakin' DARK AGES???

Or is it just my damn dentist?

In '88 while at the Seoul Olympics, one of my fillings came out. There were
Korean dentists there to provide services for athletes. Arrangements were
made, and I went to see one. He started grinding, cleaning out the remainder
of the amalgam filling _without_ giving me any Novocain. FREAKED ME OUT. I
was as jumpy as the proverbial cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I was
so jumpy I could tell it was ****ing off the dentist.

Ultimately, I really didn't need anything to numb the area, but there was no
way a non-English speaking dentist was going to convince me of that before
the treatment.

Old May 25th 04, 03:40 AM
Sierraman

[...]

For my two cents, I asked my dentist about lasers and his reply was that
drilling was here to stay. If lasers make the cut someday then maybe that
would be less trama and pain. As for the novacaine, xylocaine is the
alternative, or gas, breath deep! Advances have come in things like vaneers,
inlays and outlays, etc. Also false teeth can be mounted, screwed into your
jawbone, but the advances seem to be in hardware and less when it comes to
canning the drill. Cements and composites have improved. I have taken all
the silver out and replaced it all with composites, no mercury. Another note
is most dentists sit today. If your dentist is still standing, he might be
from the dark ages. If you dentist accepts Medi-cal then that is another
indicator of the back ally dentist. I always pay cash, and mine is twice as
expensive as every dentist in the city down below but he is worth it, since
his work is the best around. Think twice before you start your nightmare, as
I know a guy who got an infection from a botched filling job, ended up with
a root canal. Ouch!

Old May 25th 04, 03:43 AM
Amit

Bob Schwartz wrote in message ...
Amit wrote:
Bob Schwartz wrote in message

I think www.dedebarry.com is one of the coolest rider web sites ever
because of the recipe section:
http://www.dedebarry.com/index.cfm?f...tchen.Overview

I'm going to try the flan:
http://www.dedebarry.com/index.cfm?f...nDetail&cid=89

I've tried the potato salad. You probably already have everything you
need to make it.

Capers? You have capers in the house and wouldn't need to make
a special run for them?

i need them for my tuna ceviche

http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.c...it/recipes.htm

anyways, she's got all these soup recipes, and i've never been a fan
of soups and stews. i always think of them as the food for the weak
(old, infirm, liberals etc.).

-Amit

ps. haven't tried 'kveck's chicken ceviche' though.
Old May 25th 04, 03:49 AM
Sierraman

"Sierraman" wrote in message

[...]

I have another thing to add. If you pay cash, you not only might get a break
in price but Dentists seem more eager to please with cash. Many deplore
insurance since many times it pays slow and not all of the costs and they
are in court a lot. Also if you have a lot of crowns, bridges or vaneers,
inlays etc. consider going to Mexico as that will save you a ton of money
overall. There are many very capable fully qualified dentists in Mexico.
Just do your homework and make sure you have a good one, and the savings is
dramatic.

Old May 25th 04, 04:09 AM
Steven Bornfeld

PedalChick wrote:
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote in message ...

OK, DDS - tell me what the deal is with you dentist types. In about
1979, I had this metal filling put in my tooth. Back then, my dentist
shot me full of novocaine, my whole face went numb, I drooled all over
myself and it still hurt like hell.
Flash forward to 2004 and the filling has gone bad, my tooth has
broken. I go in to get another filling and what does the freakin'
dentist do??? He shoots me full of novocaine. The whole right side of
my face goes numb. He drills and it still hurts, and later on my face
is still numb, I"m drooling on myself and my tooth hurts at the same
time.

So, why has EVERY OTHER MEDICAL PROFESSION advanced in technology, and
the dentistry folks are still in the freakin' DARK AGES???

Or is it just my damn dentist?

There's a great deal of new technology, but a lot of it is around the
edges, or in improved materials--resins, implants, CAD-CAM restorations.
There is new technology in anesthesia too, but it's a little slow
penetrating the market. You might want to reference intraligamentary
anesthesia, and "the wand":

http://www.dentalarticles.com/products/10147.html

Unfortunately, some areas are harder to anesthetize than others--lower
molars, for example, are sometimes much harder than upper molars.
Acutely inflamed teeth are harder to numb. And some dentists just don't
wait long enough for deep anesthesia. But some situations are just
tough, even though most of the time for the majority of patients things
go better.
Sorry you had such a tough time.
Oh, BTW, I really don't know what it is with us dentist types.

Steve

Old May 25th 04, 04:10 AM
Steven Bornfeld

Carl Sundquist wrote:
[...]

Unless the nerve was dead or the tooth had had root canal treatment,
there was no way he could know either.

Steve

Old May 25th 04, 04:14 AM
Steven Bornfeld

Sierraman wrote:
[...]

For what it's worth, I agree with your dentist about lasers. The
situations where it is a real advantage over a drill are so limited, and
the expense is so great that it has been used more for marketing than
for any actual clinical advantage. Laser-wielding dentists would no
doubt disagree, but I just don't see them replacing the drill.

Steve

Old May 25th 04, 04:16 AM
Bob Schwartz

Amit wrote:
Bob Schwartz wrote in message ...

Capers? You have capers in the house and wouldn't need to make
a special run for them?

i need them for my tuna ceviche

http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.c...it/recipes.htm

anyways, she's got all these soup recipes, and i've never been a fan
of soups and stews. i always think of them as the food for the weak
(old, infirm, liberals etc.).

Hey heather, I'm not the only guy that takes pictures of
his food.

At any rate, upon consultation with the spousal unit it
appears I was not correct earlier. We do indeed have
capers in the house.

http://my.execpc.com/~cvcc/capers.jpg

Potato salad, here we come.

Bob Schwartz