Noodling Around

Old November 26th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

Default Noodling Around

Dave Reckoning wrote:

If you are planning to run fixed, you will want either an eccentric rear hub
or horizontal rear drop outs.

Yes, but IIRC, Sheldon has a section on how to convert conventional
dropped bikes to a fixie.
Old November 26th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

sal bass wrote:
there's no doubt that a wider tire makes more sense if you're not
racing. why not put the weight issue aside and check out the
bikes/frames offered by rivendell? they aren't super light but who
cares? the bike you want seems to be something more practical than a
bike that can't use a tire wider than 25mm.

i'm moving that way as well. my next bike will take up to 32mm tires
paired with standard reach brakes and weigh between 17 and 19 pounds
(but the weight isn't a major factor).

Because the project is to see how a very light bike with wider tires
rides. Else, I"d just get the Rivendell and be done with it.
Old November 26th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Waterford or Lynskey..they can make ya anything you wish. R-33 based
fixie with the tire clearance or a Lynskey, titanium, both light.

No doubt. After major surgery to fix my broken back and several months
in a body cast, my interest in saving some money is strong. Even with
insurance, my medical bills are well into the 5 figures.

While I realize that a custom framemaker can make me what I want, I was
hoping that a factory standard light frame, such as on my Specialized,
comes with wider chainstays. If I need to go custom, I may but later
after I'm surer what I want. For example, my friend has a Monocog he's
selling which can be fixed or single. While not what I want, I'd rather
spend a few hundred and get some fixed than at this point spend
thousands on an idle dream.

-paul
Old November 26th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:49:11 -0700, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Can this group refer me to a frame maker who makes light good quality
frames which can handle larger tires? Should I be looking at a mtn bike
frame instead of a road frame? It seems to me that as the frame's
ability to accommodate larger tires grows, so does the mass.

Based on my expert friend's advice, I'd prefer a Ti frame, but any
material will do if it's light. My target mass is =1,400 g. Is this
unreasonable aside from going with a custom? I'd do that but I can't

Not sure if your weight requirment includes the fork. Without the fork
that's certainly doable, even with a relatively cheap bike like:

http://www.somafab.com/extrasmoothie.html

Possibility. Thanks.
Old November 26th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

--
JT
****************************
Old November 26th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:31:29 -0500, John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Based on my expert friend's advice, I'd prefer a Ti frame, but any
material will do if it's light. My target mass is =1,400 g. Is this
unreasonable aside from going with a custom? I'd do that but I can't

Not sure if your weight requirment includes the fork. Without the fork
that's certainly doable, even with a relatively cheap bike like:

http://www.somafab.com/extrasmoothie.html

Umm, that's a pretty heavy frame, at 4 lbs. for a 54cm. 1400g is
considerably less; more like 3 lbs. It also would not satisfy his other
requirements. You can get a Habanero cross frame, which will have the
clearance you want and will weigh 3.4lbs. Cheap, too.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can
_`\(,_ | assure you that mine are all greater. -- A. Einstein
(_)/ (_) |
Old November 26th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 17:49:11 -0700, Paul Cassel
wrote:

About the time that Sheldon started having troubles with his back, I did
too. I turned out to be much luckier than he. Mine was only an in place
fracture of the spine which was slipping badly, but was amenable to
surgery, a lot of Ti hardware in place and a few months in a body cast.
I'm about finished with this miserable experience aside from facing the
medical bills. I haven't been on anything with two wheels in months and
am extremely crabby as a result.

I feel like celebrating my good luck in living in a time and place where
I can get repaired as if I were an auto with a bad piston. I've started
to noodle about buying another bicycle based partly on an exchange or
two I had with Sheldon where he gave me some of his thoughts. My time in
recovery has let me develop these thoughts.

What I'd like to create for myself is a fixed / single combo or maybe
just a fixed, but with some differences than any I've seen. Essentially
I'd like an as light as possible (but not stupid) bike, but with at
least 28 mm tires. I may go as wide as 32's.

My problem is the tire width. My road bike frame may accommodate 25's at
the most. 28's are out of the question or I'd just buy another Al
Specialized frame because I like my road bike a lot.

Can this group refer me to a frame maker who makes light good quality
frames which can handle larger tires? Should I be looking at a mtn bike
frame instead of a road frame? It seems to me that as the frame's
ability to accommodate larger tires grows, so does the mass.

Based on my expert friend's advice, I'd prefer a Ti frame, but any
material will do if it's light. My target mass is =1,400 g. Is this
unreasonable aside from going with a custom? I'd do that but I can't
afford it.

Get a nice 'cross bike. It'll take whatever tires you want up to a 34 or so,
have slightly cozier geometry than a badass road bike and be plenty rugged as
well. Look for one without the higher bottom bracket.

Maybe that Habby that someone else mentioned.

Ron

Old November 27th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Paul Cassel wrote:

Dave Reckoning wrote:

If you are planning to run fixed, you will want either an eccentric rear
hub
or horizontal rear drop outs.

Yes, but IIRC, Sheldon has a section on how to convert conventional
dropped bikes to a fixie.

Yes he does, but broadly speaking, it says that the only sensible
"conversion" is the ENO hub.

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html#vertical

I am a dedicated bodger, but can't help but feel that every other
solution he suggests is harder than either finding an old frame with
horizontal dropouts, or buying a new frame designed for fixation.

A few framers have started offering singlespeed/fixie frames with
eccentric bottom brackets (just like a tandem BB). This allows vertical
dropouts, which gives the maybe-interesting advantage of a strong rear
wheel support and easy tire changes (track fork ends offer one of those
advantages, horizontal dropouts offer the other).

http://www.calfeedesign.com/singlespeed.htm

The other trick I've seen is movable vertical dropouts:

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...og-flight.html

Very trick!

Old November 27th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Paul Cassel wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Waterford or Lynskey..they can make ya anything you wish. R-33 based
fixie with the tire clearance or a Lynskey, titanium, both light.

No doubt. After major surgery to fix my broken back and several months
in a body cast, my interest in saving some money is strong. Even with
insurance, my medical bills are well into the 5 figures.

While I realize that a custom framemaker can make me what I want, I was
hoping that a factory standard light frame, such as on my Specialized,
comes with wider chainstays. If I need to go custom, I may but later
after I'm surer what I want. For example, my friend has a Monocog he's
selling which can be fixed or single. While not what I want, I'd rather
spend a few hundred and get some fixed than at this point spend
thousands on an idle dream.

Gunnar fixie frame, $750, long reach brakes, track dropouts...Add $185
for a carbon fork, bob's yer uncle.
-paul

Old November 28th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Gunnar fixie frame, $750, long reach brakes, track dropouts...Add $185
for a carbon fork, bob's yer uncle.

Less than I thought. OTOH, I just got in the start of my bills. My share
of the hospital bill is, the hosp claims, $18k. I think new things are
on hold until I sort this out.

What's bob's yer uncle mean?