test message

Old January 20th 07, 09:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

Default test message

does thunderbird just suck or what?.....
Old January 20th 07, 10:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"DougC" wrote in message
does thunderbird just suck or what?.....

I think there is a special Usenet group set up just for the purpose of
testing.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 20th 07, 01:08 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

DougC wrote:
does thunderbird just suck or what?.....

It works fine for me on XP, OS X and Linux. What's your particular
problem?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old January 20th 07, 07:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

Peter Clinch wrote:
DougC wrote:
does thunderbird just suck or what?.....

It works fine for me on XP, OS X and Linux. What's your particular
problem?

Pete.

What happened here was,,,,,
I used Thunderbird to create a couple filters based on sender
addresses--but one of those addresses posted after I had the filter in
place, and the post still showed up.

So then I tried creating a filter of my own email, and I sent a message
on that. And THAT post didn't show up for me..... but then I realized
that I did not know if Thunderbird posted that message to the NG but
wasn't showing it to me, or if it deleted the message before it was even
sent to the newsgroup server.....

The Thunderbird filters set to "delete message" by default, but that
only works for messages downloaded to the user's own PC--either regular
email, or setting a newsgroup to "work offline". And I don't want to
have to download all the messages.

The way you have to do this in Thunderbird it seems (to avoid seeing
messages you don't want to see) is to 1) set the newsgroup client to
"ignore read messages", and then 2) set a filter to mark offending
messages as read... but now I can't figure out how to get Thunderbird to
ignore read messages.
~
Old January 20th 07, 08:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

DougC wrote:

but now I can't figure out how to get Thunderbird to
ignore read messages.

Tools | Message Filters should drop you to a dialog, set the
Filters for: dropdown at alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent (I suppose you
could go for the whole news server instead if you want) and then
select New...
Filter name is your choice, then set "From: contains" and some
aspect of the sender unique to them, which can be [part of] the
actual email address or plain text that shows up in the From: field
(I have also added a "Subject contains" to get rid of some of the
bitching about him, with "Match any of the following" selected so
it trips on any of the rules).

Under that, Perform these actions: should be set at "Mark As Read"

HTH, Pete.
Old January 21st 07, 10:29 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
DougC wrote:

but now I can't figure out how to get Thunderbird to ignore read
messages.

Tools | Message Filters should drop you to a dialog, set the Filters for:
dropdown at alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent (I suppose you could go for the
whole news server instead if you want) and then select New...
Filter name is your choice, then set "From: contains" and some aspect of
the sender unique to them, which can be [part of] the actual email address
or plain text that shows up in the From: field (I have also added a
"Subject contains" to get rid of some of the bitching about him, with
"Match any of the following" selected so it trips on any of the rules).

Under that, Perform these actions: should be set at "Mark As Read"

All of the above is a lot of foolishness which only an idiot would want to
do. Just delete any messages which offend day by day as they appear. How do
folks get to be so god damn stupid - that is the only relevant question
here!

Here is one for you - Peter Clinch of Dundee, Scotland is a freaking idiot
of the first rank. There! Now all the world knows what I think of him and he
does not because he has been stupid enough to kill-file me. I mean, just how
stupid can you get? Even Jim McNamara is not stupid enough to ever kill-file
anyone. And Tom Sherman, Mr. ARBR himself, never did that either. No, it
takes a Peter Clinch of Dundee, Scotland for the ultimate in stupidity. By
the way, he is a Medical Physics IT Officer too, just in case you needed to
know that!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Testosterone test: isotope test gabriel faure Racing 66 August 3rd 06 09:15 PM
Test your driving Skill at http://driving-test.friendsrus.net [email protected] Unicycling 4 January 6th 06 06:55 PM
A test message [email protected] UK 4 August 21st 05 09:46 PM
Test message, please discard [email protected] Recumbent Biking 0 October 26th 04 12:49 PM
BIKE RESTORED (THIS IS NOT A TEST MESSAGE - DONT IGNORE) [email protected] UK 16 August 27th 04 12:58 PM