When do you know it's over?

Old December 20th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Crescentius Vespasianus

Default When do you know it's over?

The question is: When do you know that it is over in cycling, and
it's time to move on to other pursuits. I have some personal clues,
but I don't want to reveal them, to bias any feedback I may get to
this question. Only serious replies, and if there is someone out
there that has given up cycling totally, to tell their experience
would be helpful.
Old December 20th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Crescentius Vespasianus wrote:

The question is: When do you know that it is over in cycling, and
it's time to move on to other pursuits. I have some personal clues,
but I don't want to reveal them, to bias any feedback I may get to
this question. Only serious replies, and if there is someone out
there that has given up cycling totally, to tell their experience
would be helpful.

Well, I realized that racing was over for me when I figured out that the
only time I was enjoying riding a bike was in the fall after the end of
the racing season. I had come to hate riding my bike over the years I
raced, because every ride was spoiled by having to train. I stopped
racing and have been loving cycling ever since.

In terms of it being "over" in cycling as in riding a bike at all, I
can't even grok what that means. I've been riding bikes for 40 years
and a bike nut for 30+ years. I think it'll be over when I'm dead.
Old December 20th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

try Prozac
everyone in sunny Fla doesn't rave about it.
oxy contin and uhh I forget is popular with the Donzi crowd
but get a heart meter as a companion piece.

Old December 20th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Crescentius Vespasianus wrote:
The question is: When do you know that it is over in cycling, and
it's time to move on to other pursuits. I have some personal clues,
but I don't want to reveal them, to bias any feedback I may get to
this question. Only serious replies, and if there is someone out
there that has given up cycling totally, to tell their experience
would be helpful.

Like quitting alcohol or a woman, every darned day sometimes isn't often
enough. Cyclists seldom quit, really, but we do change style.

Is it rapture every morning? No, but it's nice more often than not.

I can't presume to give advice, but for me the alternates of not riding
are much worse than anything the pavement or traffic has thrown so far.

Ever tried a conversation with someone new and/or interesting over a
leisurely ride? Or a breakfast run early Sunday with 1 or 2 companions?
Once making mileage log entries at a sustained high rate is less than
the #1 goal you may see it all differently.

Or, you may be on to something, get away without a bike for a few days
and see if you don't miss it.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old December 20th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Dec 20, 5:43 pm, datakoll wrote:
try Prozac
everyone in sunny Fla doesn't rave about it.
oxy contin and uhh I forget is popular with the Donzi crowd
but get a heart meter as a companion piece.

ARE POPULAR, sorry carl.
Old December 20th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Crescentius Vespasianus wrote:
The question is: When do you know that it is over in cycling, and
it's time to move on to other pursuits. I have some personal clues,
but I don't want to reveal them, to bias any feedback I may get to
this question. Only serious replies, and if there is someone out
there that has given up cycling totally, to tell their experience
would be helpful.

If you are so old and/or weak you can't get started in a reasonable
straight line?

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old December 20th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 20, 2:46 pm, A Muzi wrote:
[...]

Are we talking racing or riding at all? I mean, really, stopping
riding would mean that I spend twice the time in traffic and tons of
money on gas. I am simply too cheap and too impatient to stop
commuting by bike. OTOH, you stop racing and non-essential riding
when it is no longer fun. Then you start up again when you realize
that you miss it -- or as part of some mid-life crisis-and-diet plan.

Personally, I gave up racing when I realized it was putting a big hole
in my family life, and I was no longer placing or doing anything other
than paying entry fees to be pack filler. I now get all the
competition I need by riding with my old teammates, but I don't have
to worry about being dropped because they wait for me (if necessary).
We also get to talk a lot of rebellious guy talk, which helps us to
forget that we are actually a bunch of whipped married guys
struggling to fend off guts and old age. Very therapeutic.-- Jay
Beattie.
Old December 21st 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

my mom rode at 83 and fell off then she stopped later breaking her hip
picking oranges at 89.
Try SoBe before dinner and vivarin after lunch following glucosamine
and Cerbex at breakfast.
Old December 21st 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 20, 5:00*pm, still just me wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:59:04 -0800 (PST), Crescentius Vespasianus

wrote:
The question is: *When do you know that it is over in cycling, and
it's time to move on to other pursuits. *I have some personal clues,
but I don't want to reveal them, to bias any feedback I may get to
this question. *Only serious replies, and if there is someone out
there that has given up cycling totally, to tell their experience
would be helpful.

When you start taking your bike for granted, when you and your bike
stop saying the little niceties to each other, when looking at your
bike doesn't get you all excited... then it's over.

Well, it's over for THAT bike. You might get excited about an other,
lighter and younger bike. I've seen that happen. Mid-life crisis
trophy bikes. -- Jay Beattie.
Old December 21st 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zoot Katz

wrote:

The question is: When do you know that it is over in cycling, and
it's time to move on to other pursuits.

When they pry the handlebar from my cold dead hands.