Shorter cranks on a 26er?

Old January 15th 08, 06:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chrome

Default Shorter cranks on a 26er?

I'm currently running 165mm Moments on my 26" uni.

What would be a good length for cruising around on flat pavement (125,
137, 150mm)? How about the dual hole cranks?

I'd like to get in some distance riding, I'll probably put on a
Hookworm tire also.

Cr.

--
chrome
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 06:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

I would try 100mm nimbus isis cranks. Long distance Coker riders go
around 125mm, so 100 (or maybe less) sounds good.

--
Danni

'Sliver Trials Course'
'Calgary Trials Vid!'
(http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jUq7cjs9BbA)
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joseppi

Danni wrote:
I would try 100mm nimbus isis cranks. Long distance Coker riders go
around 125mm, so 100 (or maybe less) sounds good.

Agreed. It might take some getting used to, but it'll be worth it.

--
Joseppi

'Team Freestyle' (http://silentaftermath.com/)

'Team Roadshow' (http://teamroadshow.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

+3

I have 125s on my 29" and they're nice to ride on, so 100s on a 26
would be fine.

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBvnO6wVG0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkZLQzvf2g
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnedg1YS8c
Add me:
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 10:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

I'd advise against going for 100mm. At least for now anyway. A jump
from 165 to 100 will be like learning to ride your unicycle all over
again.

I'd start with a cheap pair of either 137 or 150. They'll still take a
bit of getting used to, but once you're comfortable with them you'l
lhave more of an idea just how much shorter you want to go.

100 still sounds a bit short to me. Do they do 110's for ISIS hubs?

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

150 on a 26" is ridiculous for any kind of distance riding. Go down to
at least 125mm; 125mm won't be hard to adjust to. 100mm or 110mm is
probably a better destination if you're going to do significant
distance on a 26".

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scotthue

i have 102mm on my 26 and they work great, I agree that you should put
some 137mm or 125mm to get ajusted

--
scotthue
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

114

--
Mikefule

I don't intend this to be offensive, so here are some emoticons to prove
it...
(Unicyclification)
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onewheelmadness

i have just orderd some 90mm to put on my 26 then i have just read this
and lernt that it is hard so i am in with a challange

--
onewheelmadness
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joseppi

onewheelmadness wrote:
i have just orderd some 90mm to put on my 26 then i have just read this
and lernt that it is hard so i am in with a challange

Don't worry, it's definitely do-able. It'll take a while for you to
fully adjust to it (I had 89mm cranks on my 26er for a while). It'll
teach you how to recover from just about any imbalance. There are lots
of practical reasons for you to get used to small cranks for a while.