Dura Ace versus Ultegra triple

Old January 12th 04, 11:15 PM
Paul Kopit

Default Dura Ace versus Ultegra triple

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:26:09 -0600, Gary
wrote:

Okay, here I go again with my vague understanding or Shimano triple setups.
I read at the Shimano site (details on Dura Ace triple front derailleur)
that the MINIMUM drop from the large ring to the middle is 14 teeth.
MINIMUM it said. That would seem to indicate I can't use the Ultegra
crankset I have with it. My question now is can I simply put a 39 ring
in the middle of my ultegra triple crank to set up the 14-tooth drop???
If so, does it have to be a special 39 ring?
Thanks.
Gary

The DA triple front will work a 53/42 if it is ~3 mm above the 53. It
will rub the inner ring with a 52. I wanted to use the DA triple
front on my tandem when I discovered this. I still have the
derailleur with 31.8 clamp is you are interested. I don't know why
you want to use the DA triple front anyway.

A 39 w/o ramps and pins will likely work but not smoothly as a 39 that
has the shift assists. Finding a 130 bolt pattern 39 will cost and is
not a common ring.
Old January 13th 04, 12:20 AM
Richard Chan

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message om...

Be afraid. Be very afraid. (Not of the derailleur issue; I'm talking about
the roadways around here after tomorrow morning!). Any recommendations on a
car for her? I'm thinkin' 1990-ish Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic.

Both are bombproofed but for smaller cars (to medium size, Acura et
al), Honda gets my vote (also from my friends who fix all makes, these
two brands are the best). For Honda's, the newer the model year the
better.
Old January 13th 04, 04:43 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Honda vs Toyota

Be afraid. Be very afraid. (Not of the derailleur issue; I'm talking
about
the roadways around here after tomorrow morning!). Any recommendations

on a
car for her? I'm thinkin' 1990-ish Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic.

Both are bombproofed but for smaller cars (to medium size, Acura et
al), Honda gets my vote (also from my friends who fix all makes, these
two brands are the best). For Honda's, the newer the model year the
better.

Yep, that's my thinking. But, just to make life a bit more fun, I'm really
pushing the idea that maybe she ought to get a manual transmission. We've
got quite a few hills around here, including a couple of uphill stopsigns on
the way home. Could be *lots* of fun! Hey, I started out with a Datsun
1200. Good enough for me, right? Of course, the car probably weighed not
much over a thousand pounds, so even if you did slide back and hit the car
behind, they might not notice.

But to bring this back to bicycles... which would be least fun to drive, so
maybe she'd consider riding a bike now and then? Would a stick shift be too
challenging, so she wouldn't want to drive much... *or* would it give her
way too much badness factor? Last thing I want is a 16-year-old daughter
that's too popular with the guys!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 13th 04, 08:18 AM
MSeries

Ken wrote:
"MSeries" wrote in news:btv0to$brno1$1@ID-
207671.news.uni-berlin.de:
I'm sure this would be the case with an _Ultegra_ front derailer,
but my understanding was that original poster was speaking of using
a _Dura-Ace_ triple mech...?

Am I right in assuming this debate has the presumption of a STi
shifter for the front mech. and with a downtube friction shifter
there is no real issue due to the fine adjustment being available ?

Dura-Ace triple front derailleur has a taller cage, so it works
better than Ultegra with a bigger spread between the middle and big
chainrings.

I have used a 105 triple front mech with 53/39/30, 52/42/30 and 52/39/30
with no problems using a friction downtube shifter, 105 has similar if not
identical specs to Ultegra regarding what is suitable for. Seems that the
limited movement with STi is causing the problems, me thinks I'll bang a
downtube lever on for the front mech.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Old January 13th 04, 01:58 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Gary- Okay, here I go again with my vague understanding or Shimano triple
setups.
I read at the Shimano site (details on Dura Ace triple front derailleur)
that the MINIMUM drop from the large ring to the middle is 14 teeth.
MINIMUM it said. That would seem to indicate I can't use the Ultegra
crankset I have with it. BRBR

They just want you to get all DA. You can use an ultegra crank, will need a
ultegra front der tho.

gary My question now is can I simply put a 39 ring
in the middle of my ultegra triple crank to set up the 14-tooth drop???
BRBR

But the middle ring better have shift pins and ramps or it won't shift well,
and use a DA front der.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old January 13th 04, 04:57 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 04:43:03 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
may have said:

But to bring this back to bicycles... which would be least fun to drive, so
maybe she'd consider riding a bike now and then?

There is no such thing as a car that is not enough fun to drive for a
16-year-old girl. (I face the spectre of this in less than 12 months
myself.)

Would a stick shift be too
challenging, so she wouldn't want to drive much... *or* would it give her
way too much badness factor?

Unless she's as mechanically challenged as my X2, it's probably not a
factor in either direction, though learning to drive a stick imparts
skills that can be valuable later. (In the case of X2, she could not
cope with a clutch; the concept just never sunk in.) (My daughter,
however, not only knows which end of a screwdriver to beat on, but
when and how to properly use the BFH.)

Last thing I want is a 16-year-old daughter
that's too popular with the guys!

It is inevitable. Trust me.

it's also possible that I'm busy.
Old January 13th 04, 08:42 PM
Chluu907

Hi Gary:

You can use a standard double chainring with your Ultegra triple crankset. In
fact, I have done the exact same change on my Ultegra triple. You will need a
Shimano Dura-Ace Triple front derailleur to make it work. I tried for several
hours trying to make my Ultegra Triple front derailleur work but I was
unsucessful. The shifting is consistent and crisp.

Claude
Old January 13th 04, 09:33 PM
MSeries

Chluu907 wrote:
Hi Gary:

You can use a standard double chainring with your Ultegra triple
crankset. In fact, I have done the exact same change on my Ultegra
triple. You will need a Shimano Dura-Ace Triple front derailleur to
make it work. I tried for several hours trying to make my Ultegra
Triple front derailleur work but I was unsucessful. The shifting is
consistent and crisp.

Claude

So let me get this right, you replaced the 42 middle with a 39 (inner from a
double) on the Ultegra triple chainset. A Dura Ace front mech works well
with Ultegra STi shifter.

Old January 14th 04, 01:15 AM

Would a stick shift be too
challenging, so she wouldn't want to drive much... *or* would it give her
way too much badness factor?

More risk (to the car ) in learning, but a very desirable skill to learn.

(remove clothes to reply)
Old January 14th 04, 03:53 AM
Tom Sherman

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

[...]

Mike,

Whatever you do, DO NOT get her a Civic Si as it will encourage bad
behavior. However, the Si will run practically forever, even if pushed
hard on a regular basis - do not ask how I know this.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke Racing 18 April 10th 04 12:43 AM
Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke General 5 April 6th 04 05:01 AM
From triple to double on a Trek 5200 with Ultegra 9 speed Noel Llopis Techniques 13 January 6th 04 10:43 PM
Dura Ace triple Gary Techniques 13 December 17th 03 11:31 PM
Touchy front shifting on Ultegra triple Dave Techniques 9 November 30th 03 03:17 PM