Invisible Helmet (air bag)

Old September 21st 12, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Invisible Helmet (air bag)

http://www.hovding.com/en/how
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/hovding-invisible-bike-helmet-hair-intact-head-safe/story?id=17049677
http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting/2012/08/portland_bicyclists_can_now_bu.html
Basically, an air bag worn around the neck. A helium filled head
cover deploys if it detects an odd position or accelleration.
$600 each and only good for one use.

The economy version:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/airbag-helmet.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 21st 12, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:05:13 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
http://www.hovding.com/en/how

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/hovding-invisible-bike-helmet-hair-intact-head-safe/story?id=17049677

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting/2012/08/portland_bicyclists_can_now_bu.html

Basically, an air bag worn around the neck. A helium filled head

cover deploys if it detects an odd position or accelleration.

$600 each and only good for one use.

The economy version:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/airbag-helmet.html

--

Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Very interesting that they spent seven years studying actual bicycle accidents and didbicycle crash tests to determine how the helmet should be desiined so that it would be effective. Too bad it's only a single use item though as at $600.00 it's pretty expensive.
Old September 21st 12, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 21/09/12 14:29, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:05:13 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
http://www.hovding.com/en/how

This has been on this new group in the past I think.

Very interesting that they spent seven years studying actual bicycle
accidents and didbicycle crash tests to determine how the helmet
should be desiined so that it would be effective. Too bad it's only a
single use item though as at $600.00 it's pretty expensive.

How often do you fall off?

I guess pushing the limits you might more often, but personally it's a
long time between spills. Not that I'm interested in wearing a collar.
My impression is that it would get you hot under the collar - so to
speak. I think I'd rather a helmet!

I wonder what happens when you get home, unzip it and throw it on the
bed. Does it sense a crash and "POOF!" ?

--
JS.
Old September 21st 12, 07:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:
http://www.hovding.com/en/how

This has been on this new group in the past I think.

I wasn't sure so I did a Google Groups search and didn't find
anything. It has been pre-announced at least 3 times in the last 2
years.

Very interesting that they spent seven years studying actual bicycle
accidents and didbicycle crash tests to determine how the helmet
should be desiined so that it would be effective. Too bad it's only a
single use item though as at $600.00 it's pretty expensive.

How often do you fall off?

It only takes one head crash to ruin your day. Weigh the risks
against the odds. If you find the odds in your favor, take your
chances.

For example, if the odds are 10,000:1 of surviving a ride[1], and the
cost of a hospital holiday is about $250,000, the opportunity costs
for a $600 wearable air bag is:
250,000 / 600 = 417:1
Since this is more than the 10,000:1 risks, it doesn't pay to wear
this air bag. However, were the cost of the air bag helmet reduced to
$25, the odds and costs would be the same, and an air bag helmet would
be justified.

I guess pushing the limits you might more often, but personally it's a
long time between spills. Not that I'm interested in wearing a collar.

It doesn't really need to be a collar. For example, you could build a
similar helmet powered by two CO2 cartridges and install them in two
football player style shoulder pads. When deployed, the padded helmet
halves pivot on the shoulder pads closest to the neck like a
clamshell. You could also build one that looks like a halo over your
head. Lots of designs are possible that do not resemble a collar.

My impression is that it would get you hot under the collar - so to
speak. I think I'd rather a helmet!

See above. There are other designs that would also work. One item
not mentioned is that air bags inflate with a loud bang. You don't
want it going boom near your ears.

I wonder what happens when you get home, unzip it and throw it on the
bed. Does it sense a crash and "POOF!" ?

Good question. It will cost you $600 to find out.

[1] Numbers were conjured out of thin air and do not resemble
reality.

Old September 21st 12, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
[...]

Boy, a lot of "tech" analysis to not justify this thing ;-)

Yes, $600 is steep, but if you ride lots between falls (low risk of a
fall), and your hair looking good is important to you but you want some
protection in case of a crash, I guess some might consider it. I
wouldn't though, and I doubt the market would be very big.

I don't recall the last time I crashed and didn't survive ;-)

And why would you spend $250,000 on hospital holidays if you didn't survive?

In a race it is not unheard of to have a crash, pick yourself up and
chase to get back on the bunch. If the air bag exploded, would the
commissaire insist your team car hand you a fresh one before you could
continue?

I guess pushing the limits you might more often, but personally it's a
long time between spills. Not that I'm interested in wearing a collar.

It doesn't really need to be a collar. For example, you could build a
similar helmet powered by two CO2 cartridges and install them in two
football player style shoulder pads. When deployed, the padded helmet
halves pivot on the shoulder pads closest to the neck like a
clamshell. You could also build one that looks like a halo over your
head. Lots of designs are possible that do not resemble a collar.

I'm sure there are possibilities. I thought of a bulge behind your head
that doubles as a fairing to improve aerodynamics.

My impression is that it would get you hot under the collar - so to
speak. I think I'd rather a helmet!

See above. There are other designs that would also work. One item
not mentioned is that air bags inflate with a loud bang. You don't
want it going boom near your ears.

I wonder what happens when you get home, unzip it and throw it on the
bed. Does it sense a crash and "POOF!" ?

Good question. It will cost you $600 to find out.

Learn by destroying? ;-)

[1] Numbers were conjured out of thin air and do not resemble
reality.

C'mon, Jeff. Data, data, data!!!

--
JS.

Old September 21st 12, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 16:54:31 +1000, James
wrote:

It only takes one head crash to ruin your day. Weigh the risks
against the odds. If you find the odds in your favor, take your
chances.

For example, if the odds are 10,000:1 of surviving a ride[1], and the
cost of a hospital holiday is about $250,000, the opportunity costs
for a $600 wearable air bag is:
250,000 / 600 = 417:1
Since this is more than the 10,000:1 risks, it doesn't pay to wear
this air bag. However, were the cost of the air bag helmet reduced to
$25, the odds and costs would be the same, and an air bag helmet would
be justified.

Boy, a lot of "tech" analysis to not justify this thing ;-)

Numbers are always impressive, even when they don't mean very much.
Please excuse my baseless fabrication of numbers. It's a bad habit I
picked up from college days. I had a brief part time job working for
an insurance actuary. My job was helping assign dollar values and
costs to various injuries, such as lost limbs. Risk analysis is
fairly simple, if you ignore the intangibles.

The calculations are fairly simple. Start with the average number of
rides per year. Multiply by the sum of the number of years you've
been riding plus the number of years you expect to continue riding.
Divide by the number of accidents, near accidents, close calls, and
anything that might have become an accident. That's your odds.

Using a mythical cycle commuter as an example, if he commutes to work
every day, that's two rides times 365 per year. 50 years is about how
long I would expect one to ride. That's 26,500 rides per lifetime.
The number of accidents and near accidents will vary. I'm a hazard on
anything that moves, and usually manage to have at least one close
call per week. So, I would expect to see
52 * 50 = 2,600
close calls per lifetime, any of which could become a statistic. The
odds of getting (nearly) hurt a
26,500 / 2,600 = 10:1
A more careful rider will do much better.

$250,000 is about what a head injury will cost without insurance.
However, the price range could be wildly variable depending on the
damage. The opportunity cost is:
$250,000 / $600 = 417:1
which is less than the 10:1 lifetime risk of injury. For this bicycle
commuter, the odds favor an expensive air bag helmet.

Yes, $600 is steep, but if you ride lots between falls (low risk of a
fall), and your hair looking good is important to you but you want some
protection in case of a crash, I guess some might consider it. I
wouldn't though, and I doubt the market would be very big.

Hair is not a problem for me since it's slowly falling out. You're
probably correct about the small market. Air bags in cars would not
be very popular if they were not mandatory, mostly due to the cost.

I don't recall the last time I crashed and didn't survive ;-)

Head crashes have a tendency to affect the memory. Are you sure you
don't recall your last crash?

And why would you spend $250,000 on hospital holidays if you didn't survive?

Hospitals do not offer a warranty on workmanship. You pay the same
amount whether you live or die. During my last involuntary visit to
the local hospital, I attempted to negotiate a "double or nothing"
deal with the billing office. If I live, I'll pay double. If I die,
I'll owe nothing. They refused. However, I did get half off for
paying cash (mostly in advance).

In a race it is not unheard of to have a crash, pick yourself up and
chase to get back on the bunch.

I don't think this air bag helmet is for racers, where every microgram
is important.

If the air bag exploded, would the
commissaire insist your team car hand you a fresh one before you could
continue?

Of course, especially if he gets a commission from the manufacturer.
The team should carry spares of anything that might fail anyway.

I'm sure there are possibilities. I thought of a bulge behind your head
that doubles as a fairing to improve aerodynamics.

Good idea. However, like all good ideas, I'm sure it will be banned
by the race authorities. That's what happened after a large number of
swim records were broken during the Bejing Olympics. The full body
swim costume worn by Phelps and others were designed to offer
hydrodynamic improvements and better buoyancy.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/25/why-ban-full-body-olympics-swimsuits-a-scientist-explains-polyurethane.html

I wonder what happens when you get home, unzip it and throw it on the
bed. Does it sense a crash and "POOF!" ?

Good question. It will cost you $600 to find out.

Learn by destroying? ;-)

Yep. That's how it works. One begins to understand how something
works only after they have broken it (and fixed it). However, I'm
more worried if the air bag helmet has a position sensor. If the
cyclist is somehow placed in an inverted position, as in doing a loop
on a BMX bicycle, will that deploy the air bag?

[1] Numbers were conjured out of thin air and do not resemble
reality.

C'mon, Jeff. Data, data, data!!!

Sorry. All numbers look about the same after midnight. Much of the
endless discussions on helmet safety revolve around calculating the
risks. There are also different ways of expressing the risks, such as
by the distances traveled. I didn't want to get into the trivial
aspects of the calculations, such as accuracy, so I just fabricated
the numbers. Hopefully, it will not have an effect on my assertions
and allegations.

Old September 21st 12, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

wrote:
[...]

The auto "air" bags are, I've read, powered by an explosive device. I
assume for some reason such as speed in deployment, or something of
that nature. Would CO2 operate quickly enough?

My impression is that it would get you hot under the collar - so to
speak. I think I'd rather a helmet!

See above. There are other designs that would also work. One item
not mentioned is that air bags inflate with a loud bang. You don't
want it going boom near your ears.

I wonder what happens when you get home, unzip it and throw it on the
bed. Does it sense a crash and "POOF!" ?

Good question. It will cost you $600 to find out.

[1] Numbers were conjured out of thin air and do not resemble
reality.

--
Cheers,
John B.
Old September 21st 12, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

heavy ? place for air is around the helmet perimeter then down a few inches.

effectively not supported by shoulders or neck

wouldnlt think a few inches of balloooon would weigh but that cartridge...I have several for a BACK UP kayak rolling device...

the catridge may weigh near what my Bell weighs.

well lets place the cartridge on your neck...

disguise it as a giant mole ?

spider ?

decoration ? looks like a giant stud with a jewel on end.

Old September 21st 12, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

too heavy ?

BLOW IT UP WITH A MOUTH TUBE

eeeeeeyayhahahhahwiwhowwhoSNORT SNORT

Patent No. ......

there's Fogel generated website....
Old September 21st 12, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

wrote:

[...]

That's true - given complete enough data - and should work pretty
reliably averaged over a large enough pool of subjects.

But applied to few or one subject, a little change could throw the
whole thing on it's head (honestly I did *not* plan that pun!)

The calculations are fairly simple. Start with the average number of
rides per year. Multiply by the sum of the number of years you've
been riding plus the number of years you expect to continue riding.
Divide by the number of accidents, near accidents, close calls, and
anything that might have become an accident. That's your odds.

Using a mythical cycle commuter as an example, if he commutes to work
every day, that's two rides times 365 per year. 50 years is about how
long I would expect one to ride. That's 26,500 rides per lifetime.
The number of accidents and near accidents will vary. I'm a hazard on
anything that moves, and usually manage to have at least one close
call per week.

"Danger" is my middle name, too :-)

So, I would expect to see
52 * 50 = 2,600
close calls per lifetime, any of which could become a statistic. The
odds of getting (nearly) hurt a
26,500 / 2,600 = 10:1

I'll agree that if behavior and circumstances remain consistent this
means something.

A more careful rider will do much better.

And absolutely true - if I toodle to the hardware store when the
weather's nice focused on being a traffic vehicle then I can really
minimize risk.

$250,000 is about what a head injury will cost without insurance.

Ah... now I disagree. Know why? 'Cause when I get a serious head
injury, I couldn't give a crap about money. There are other,
incalculable, costs.

[...]

:-)

And why would you spend $250,000 on hospital holidays if you didn't survive?

Hospitals do not offer a warranty on workmanship. You pay the same
amount whether you live or die. During my last involuntary visit to
the local hospital, I attempted to negotiate a "double or nothing"
deal with the billing office. If I live, I'll pay double. If I die,
I'll owe nothing. They refused. However, I did get half off for
paying cash (mostly in advance).

In a race it is not unheard of to have a crash, pick yourself up and
chase to get back on the bunch.

I don't think this air bag helmet is for racers, where every microgram
is important.

I haven't looked at the thing. Sound kooky, but I'll reserve
judgment. Meanwhile I'll keep doign what I've been doing.
Situational awareness and all that; my old hardshell Vetta as a
contingency until I can get a new POC.

(Better click "send" before my dying wi-fi NIC loses connectivity
again... )

The Invisible Man Bob Schwartz Racing 0 July 25th 07 03:34 PM
If you want to be invisible on a car lot... Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 0 April 20th 06 06:55 AM
If you want to be invisible on a car lot... Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 4 April 20th 06 06:03 AM
Invisible Martin Bulmer UK 30 November 2nd 05 09:50 AM
Am I ******* invisible Soup UK 28 June 11th 04 09:42 AM