Technical question

Old August 31st 13, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Gordon[_2_]

Default Technical question

John B. wrote in
:

I recently changed tires on a set of second hand, semi-aero, wheels I
have had for a couple of years. I was also considering rebuilding the
wheels using the old rims and pulled the rim tape loose to see where
the spoke nipples were in order to measure the spoke length. I was a
bit surprised to find that there were two layers of rim tapes,
actually two separate rim tapes, and the inner one seemed to be glued
or bonded to the wheel, although that may have been more a matter of a
rim tape that had been installed for a very long time.

The question is whether to use two rim tapes if I rebuild the wheels
or is a single tape always sufficient.

In passing I might note that this seems to be the only set of wheels I
have with a double rim tape which makes me think that a single tape is
sufficient, but then why this set with double tapes? Perhaps a belt
and braces approach?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Check this URL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ljsth5h

I'm still using the same fibreglass packing tape with
good results.
Old August 31st 13, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 31 Aug 2013 07:19:42 GMT, Peter Gordon petergoATnetspace.net.au
wrote:

John B. wrote in
:

[...]

Seems as though it would work.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old August 31st 13, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

with duck tape ends....construction duck from HomeDepot...any stable strippable material..

of curiosity

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...27.-4AC3uBGCUg

wonder what Sheldon Brown sez on tapes ?
Old August 31st 13, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/31/2013 12:19 AM, Peter Gordon wrote:

Check this URL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/ljsth5h

I'm still using the same fibreglass packing tape with
good results.

I recall, in the early days of Bike Friday, there was a bad crash during
a mountain descent due to the use by Green Gear of fiberglas tape as rim
tape. It heated up due to rim heating, melted, and caused a blowout and
crash.

I see from the link that you're just using the packing tape as an
underlayer so I suppose that it would be less of an issue.

Old August 31st 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:19:42 AM UTC-4, Peter Gordon wrote:

I'm still using the same fibreglass packing tape with
good results.

And I'm using cloth (medical) adhesive tape, 1/2" wide. I started that when I ran out of the "official" stuff and the bike shop was closed, but the pharmacy was still open. It works as well, and is almost always available.

- Frank Krygowski

Old August 31st 13, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:19:42 AM UTC-4, Peter Gordon wrote:

I'm still using the same fibreglass packing tape with
good results.

And I'm using cloth (medical) adhesive tape, 1/2" wide. I started that
when I ran out of the "official" stuff and the bike shop was closed, but
the pharmacy was still open. It works as well, and is almost always available.

Huh? In my place I have always a spare rimtape available. Medical tape with
just the right width? Not a chance.

--
Lou
Old August 31st 13, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/31/2013 9:45 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:19:42 AM UTC-4, Peter Gordon wrote:

I'm still using the same fibreglass packing tape with
good results.

And I'm using cloth (medical) adhesive tape, 1/2" wide. I started that
when I ran out of the "official" stuff and the bike shop was closed, but
the pharmacy was still open. It works as well, and is almost always available.

Huh? In my place I have always a spare rimtape available. Medical tape with
just the right width? Not a chance.

There's other problems with medical adhesive tape as well, not just
finding the proper width. It's okay in an emergency, when you can't buy
proper rim tape, but remove it and replace it as soon as possible if you
do use it. The adhesive is too sticky and it makes a sticky gooey mess
over time.

In an emergency I think a few layers of low-tack masking tape would get
you buy until you can get some proper rim tape, and would not make a
mess, but I have not tried it.

Proper rim tape is only around $3 a roll. Ritchey Snap-On Rim strips are
even better, especially for high pressure tires, and are around the same
price.

Avoid:

Fiberglas stranded packing tape
Duct tape
Medical adhesive tape
Masking tape
Cellophane tape
Electrical tape
Surgical tape
Rivnuts
Old August 31st 13, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

It is hilarious what you people on that side of the pond use as rimtape.
Why not buy the proper stuff even if you are cheap
https://www.bike-components.de/produ...lgenband-.html

Cheap and in all sizes. Don't wait until the current one fails. Keep it in
stock at your place. I have an account at bike-components. If I use an item
from my personal stock (tires, tubes, brake pads, etc.) I log in and put a
replacement in my shopping basket. This web side remembers the content of
your shopping basket the next time you log in. Once in a while I order the
stuff in my basket.

Rivnuts as rimtape? No rivnuts/ rivets at all? Am I doomed now?
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fs...k/IMG_2137.JPG

--
Lou
Old August 31st 13, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Good gracious Lou, drill those out! A noted contributor here
says rivnuts are the evil work of Satan! If you leave them
in, please don't ride next to my bike- rivnut germs may be
contagious!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 31st 13, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

Default My rim tape story - was Technical question

When we first got our RANS Screamer in 2005 we had a few front tire
flats. When the front wheel heated up from braking some smelly oily
stuff came out of the Velocity rim. It messed up the rim tape
adhesive and the rim tape slipped. When it slipped enough the tube
went through the spoke holes.

We had the wheel replaced under warranty and the same thing happened.
It was the same model Velocity rim. Wheel #3 was built by the bike
shop and a total botch job. Wheel #4 was a Velocity Taipai and that
worked OK until the rim bowed outwards after a couple thousand miles.
Wheel #5 was another Taipai and the same thing happened after another
couple thousand miles. (Some of us just don't learn.)

Wheel #6 is an Alex DM24, still rolling, no problems at all. It has
10-12k miles on it.