Technical question

Old August 31st 13, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Technical question

On 8/31/2013 10:59 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
sms wrote:
On 8/31/2013 9:45 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:19:42 AM UTC-4, Peter Gordon wrote:

I'm still using the same fibreglass packing tape with
good results.

And I'm using cloth (medical) adhesive tape, 1/2" wide. I started that
when I ran out of the "official" stuff and the bike shop was closed, but
the pharmacy was still open. It works as well, and is almost always available.

Huh? In my place I have always a spare rimtape available. Medical tape with
just the right width? Not a chance.

There's other problems with medical adhesive tape as well, not just
finding the proper width. It's okay in an emergency, when you can't buy
proper rim tape, but remove it and replace it as soon as possible if you
do use it. The adhesive is too sticky and it makes a sticky gooey mess over time.

In an emergency I think a few layers of low-tack masking tape would get
you buy until you can get some proper rim tape, and would not make a
mess, but I have not tried it.

Proper rim tape is only around $3 a roll. Ritchey Snap-On Rim strips are
even better, especially for high pressure tires, and are around the same price.

Avoid:

Fiberglas stranded packing tape
Duct tape
Medical adhesive tape
Masking tape
Cellophane tape
Electrical tape
Surgical tape
Rivnuts

It is hilarious what you people on that side of the pond use as rimtape.

Please don't believe that the misguided actions of a very few people are
representative of everyone in North America.

The reality is that it's a just a very few clueless people on this side
of the pond that are not using proper rim tape. We also actually have
very few people drilling holes in their frames, and very few people
using sub-optimal StVZO compliant lighting. It's just that these people
somehow all seem to show up in r.b.t..

However for rim tape, while some of us keep a sufficient supply in stock
(especially those of us that have done a lot of long distance touring),
it's an item that is often purchased on an as-needed basis, and
unfortunately the times you find you need it are when it's not readily
available.

Rim tape seems like such a mundane item that it should have an off-the
shelf substitute available. After all, medical adhesive tape even kind
of _looks_ like rim tape. The reality is that it's a highly engineered
product based on specific requirements. The thickness, the adhesive, the
width, the and the thermal characteristics, are all of vital importance.

I recently fixed a flat for my 10 year old niece, and there was _no_ rim
tape or rim strip present. I don't know if it was never put in at the
factory (Giant), or if someone else removed it when fixing a flat in the
past.
Old August 31st 13, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Why not buy the proper stuff even if you are cheap
https://www.bike-components.de/produ...lgenband-.html

Not everyone over here would try to save a few bucks on something that
keeps your tires from blowing. Makes no sense except in emergencies.

Snip

--
duane
Old August 31st 13, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

snot the deal Duane. deal is getting caught with unreusable Velox n nuthin on the shelf.
Old August 31st 13, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:45:47 PM UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

And I'm using cloth (medical) adhesive tape, 1/2" wide. I started that
when I ran out of the "official" stuff and the bike shop was closed, but
the pharmacy was still open. It works as well, and is almost always available.

Huh? In my place I have always a spare rimtape available. Medical tape with
just the right width? Not a chance.

Well, it's different here. More importantly, it was definitely different when we were on that bike tour. Tiny towns in rural areas have no bike shops, but they do have pharmacies. And for our rims, 1/2" medical tape (probably the most common) happens to fit fine.

It's just something to remember if you do a long tour in the U.S.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 31st 13, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:04:58 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
snot the deal Duane. deal is getting caught with unreusable Velox n nuthin on the shelf.

.... or on tour, with nothing in the bag. (Who would bother to carry a spare roll of Velox on a long bike tour?)

And if the medical adhesive tape works perfectly for a 4000 mile tour, why should it be removed at the end? If it keeps working for years afterward, why change? Why should something less readily available be used next time a wheel is built?

If others actually try medical adhesive tape (two layers) and find it doesn't work, please let me know. I've been using it almost exclusively for well over ten years, with zero problems. Again, initially the main advantage for me was that I can get it any time, day or night, from a local pharmacy. But that showed me it just works.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 31st 13, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

datakoll wrote:
snot the deal Duane. deal is getting caught with unreusable Velox n nuthin on the shelf.

Sometime you have to make do with what's at hand. I've used a dollar bill
to block a slit in a tire long enough to get home. Doesn't mean I left it
like that or recommended it as a permanent replacement.
--
duane
Old August 31st 13, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

If others actually try medical adhesive tape (two layers) and find it
doesn't
work, please let me know. I've been using it almost exclusively for well
over
ten years, with zero problems.

I'm curious - what kind of tire pressures?

Old August 31st 13, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

Default My rim tape story - was Technical question

On 8/31/2013 1:19 PM, somebody wrote:
When we first got our RANS Screamer in 2005 we had a few front tire
flats. When the front wheel heated up from braking some smelly oily
stuff came out of the Velocity rim. It messed up the rim tape
adhesive and the rim tape slipped. When it slipped enough the tube
went through the spoke holes.

Well, the front of a Screamer is a tough place for a wheel to be.

We had the wheel replaced under warranty and the same thing happened.

Odd to replace the wheel if that was the only problem, since the oil was
likely coming from the rim tape overheating. Remove the tape, clean
with residue free solvent, and replace with better quality rim tape.

It was the same model Velocity rim. Wheel #3 was built by the bike
shop and a total botch job. Wheel #4 was a Velocity Taipai and that
worked OK until the rim bowed outwards after a couple thousand miles.
Wheel #5 was another Taipai and the same thing happened after another
couple thousand miles. (Some of us just don't learn.)

Sidewall wear from braking, or just deformation from the wide tire and
high pressures needed on the Screamer?

Wheel #6 is an Alex DM24, still rolling, no problems at all. It has
10-12k miles on it.

Difference between inexpensive and cheap.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 31st 13, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 8/31/2013 12:31 PM, sms wrote:

Avoid:

Fiberglas stranded packing tape
Duct tape
Medical adhesive tape
Masking tape
Cellophane tape
Electrical tape
Surgical tape
Rivnuts

And anything that Scharf recommends.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old August 31st 13, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

There you go again telling people to avoid using stuff that is proven to be beneficial and that does not result in problems except in your mind.

Cheers