Most prefer Shimano over Campagnolo?

Old August 11th 04, 11:50 AM
Evan Evans

Default Most prefer Shimano over Campagnolo?

The question is why doe's the average guy prefer Shimano to Campagnolo
on his/her bicycle?
Old August 11th 04, 11:52 AM
Konrad Hund

"Evan Evans" wrote in message m...
The question is why doe's the average guy prefer Shimano to Campagnolo
on his/her bicycle?

9 out of 10 riders in the TdF Top10 used Shimano.
'nuff said.

KH

Old August 11th 04, 12:10 PM
Terry Morse

Evan Evans wrote:

The question is why doe's the average guy prefer Shimano to Campagnolo
on his/her bicycle?

Why does the average beer drinker prefer shudder Budweiser?
Old August 11th 04, 12:35 PM
Ronald

The question is why doe's the average guy prefer Shimano to
Campagnolo
on his/her bicycle?

I think for most Shimano riders it isn't a concious choice. Most
complete bikes
come with OEM Shimano installed on them. With custom build bikes it's
another
story, when i look at bikes at my local club over two thirds use
Campagnolo.
This is in Europe (Netherlands) though.

m...

Old August 11th 04, 01:46 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

gevans- The question is why doe's the average guy prefer Shimano to
Campagnolo
on his/her bicycle? BRBR

The 'average' guy doesn't. The 'average' bike shop does due to pricing and many
other factors. The 'average' bike shop 'koko de shimano de hanashimasu', not
'qui si parla Campagnolo'.
Many average bike shops are a slim step above Walmart.

Do 'average' drivers prefer Toyota or VW?

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 11th 04, 01:48 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Blade- 9 out of 10 riders in the TdF Top10 used Shimano.
'nuff said. BRBR

Geee, last year that wasn't true, I guess shimano 10s has changed the landscape
hugely!!

shimano is 10 times the size of Campagnolo. More teams at the three large stage
races used Campagnolo than shimano. I think that speaks volumes about the
ability of a small company by comparison to 'support' so many European racing
teams.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 11th 04, 04:17 PM
Nigel Grinter

"Konrad Hund" wrote in message ...
"Evan Evans" wrote in message m...
The question is why doe's the average guy prefer Shimano to Campagnolo
on his/her bicycle?

9 out of 10 riders in the TdF Top10 used Shimano.
'nuff said.

KH

I don't like where this is going. Is there any way to block threads
that are too boring?

Nigel Grinter
Old August 11th 04, 05:32 PM
Mark

"Konrad Hund" wrote in message ...
"Evan Evans" wrote in message m...
The question is why doe's the average guy prefer Shimano to Campagnolo
on his/her bicycle?

9 out of 10 riders in the TdF Top10 used Shimano.
'nuff said.

KH

I think this in ways parallels other "gods" that us more common folks
try to emulate. Example:

Back in '67, a fella by the name of James Marshall Hendrix came on the
scene (Singin "Hey Joe" I believe it was).
The faultering Fender Guitar Company was virtually saved overnight by
this man, as everyone rushed out in droves to buy Fender Strats in
hopes of playing/sounding like this man. I guess the same can be said
about Stevie Ray Vaughan later during the '80's with Fender, and the
also want of Les Paul Gibsons, when a fella named Jimmy Page came
along. (Same with Ludwig Drums when Ringo came out)

Whether one bike company is preferred over another is unclear. I guess
pros will use whatever they will get for free, and who will sponsor
them.

Folks like Lance, Basso, Ulrich, etc., could probably win the same
races had they been using prepped Huffy equipment. Just like Jimmy
Page, etc. could pick up a beat up '60's Sears Roebuck Guitar and make
it sing.

The last two days I've been seeing I guy I swear is Lance Armstrong
riding around my neck of the woods (NM). Full blown Carbon Trek Bike,
US Postal Gear head to toe, and he's flying!!! Hey, maybe it is
Lance!? lol Mark
Old August 11th 04, 05:47 PM
Tim McTeague

"Evan Evans" wrote in message
m...
The question is why doe's the average guy prefer Shimano to Campagnolo
on his/her bicycle?

I started with Simplex gears, then Shimano Crane, Campagnolo N. Record then
Super Record. The Campy SR would "ghost shift" at very strange times, the
headset pitted very quickly and I gave up and got the new Dura-Ace index
stuff. I stayed with Shimano for many years as Campagnolo seemed to lose
their way. Now, Campy seems to have ironed out all their problems and the
stuff seems to work every bit as well as Shimano. I has ALWAYS looked
better IMO. Just this month I put on Record Ergo shifters as the Dura-Ace
ones made my hands go numb no matter how I moved things around. I LOVE the
Campy shifters. Much more support for my hands, no numbness, and the
shifting seems better. I plan to slowly add more Campy bits as time goes
on. I hate when Campagnolo lovers slam Shimano and the reverse seldom
happens. But you have to admit there is a certain something about the
Italian parts. Beauty , history, whatever, I have never wanted a Shimano
cap or decal on my car but would not object to doing that with Campagnolo.
Way back in the day, my first Campy product, sort of, was one of those
yellow caps with the Campagnolo logo. I don't think Shimano will ever have
that cool factor. So, I agree with many of the posts, off the rack =
Shimano, custom = Campagnolo.

Tim McTeague