RAAM News

Old June 13th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Richard Cheese

Default RAAM News

Riders have been issued penalties for riding against traffic.

Jeff Oatley has had two 15 minute sleeps.

Brett Walker had a 2 hour sleep and had digestive issues and he vomited 3
times while riding uphill.

59 year old Patty Riddle got sick in the desert heat.

Old June 13th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 13, 7:07 am, "Richard Cheese"
wrote:
Riders have been issued penalties for riding against traffic.

Jeff Oatley has had two 15 minute sleeps.

Brett Walker had a 2 hour sleep and had digestive issues and he vomited 3
times while riding uphill.

59 year old Patty Riddle got sick in the desert heat.

Yeah, we're talking real riding skill here.

Old June 13th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Callistus Valerius

Riders have been issued penalties for riding against traffic.

Jeff Oatley has had two 15 minute sleeps.

Brett Walker had a 2 hour sleep and had digestive issues and he vomited 3
times while riding uphill

59 year old Patty Riddle got sick in the desert heat.

------------------
On the detour section before Prescott, AZ, we passed John Spurgeon (single

speed bike) and stopped ahead to set up a camera shot. Much to my surprise,
John stopped alongside our car, and said he wanted his crew to take a photo
of him and I. His single speed bikes have been working well, and he has yet
to walk a hill. Dealing with the heat yesterday was a far bigger concern for
him than worrying about his simplistic equipment. We watched him ride into
TS#7 (17th place) in Prescott where he stopped and talked with me while
getting a massage. John only rode 6,000 miles in the past 9 months. He
intentionally gained 10 pounds before the race (like Daniel Wyss did last
year). As long as the temperature is nice, he will sleep alongside the road.
His father Paul (gave him pizza) and brother Dan are on his crew. He said he
is not truly doing RAAM with one gear, as his single speed bikes have
different gearing. The minivan that is not following behind him has a
garbage can bungee corded to the rear bumper.
-------------------
this seems kind of stupid even to a RAAM enthusiast like me, carry 3 or 4
different single speed bikes with different cog sizes?? Why not bring just
two 9sp bikes. I know endurance people are eccentric, but this is really
weird. They do mention the crappy two week prep of no riding and lots of
pizza and beer to get your weight up before the event. The solo leader is
in Trinidad, Colorado, 1100 miles into the race. But next comes Kansas,
that was the graveyard for a lot of riders last year. In fact one guy from
Italy got stranded there, because he ran out of money, and I think he's
still there. He was working in a tavern in one of those podunk towns the
last I heard.

Old June 13th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 13, 10:05 am, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

this seems kind of stupid even to a RAAM enthusiast like me, carry 3 or 4
different single speed bikes with different cog sizes??

I see Lon Haldeman smiling at a single-speeder carrying a selection of
bikes.
=====

As with many things, the original "concept" if you will was exciting.
Likewise the first few races. John Howard rides RAAM? Cool.

Some guy from Brazil wins some flakey open-wheel series race event? In
the words of an old friend: Tastes filling! Less great!

--D-y

Old June 13th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message .net,
Callistus Valerius ') wrote:

this seems kind of stupid even to a RAAM enthusiast like me, carry 3 or 4
different single speed bikes with different cog sizes?? Why not bring
just two 9sp bikes.

Or take one single speed bikes and carry a couple of spare cogs in a back
pocket. Or fit a Rohloff.

;; Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
;; in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle.
;; Rep. Earl Blumenauer (Dem, OR)
Old June 13th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message .net,
Callistus Valerius ') wrote:

this seems kind of stupid even to a RAAM enthusiast like me, carry 3 or 4
different single speed bikes with different cog sizes?? Why not bring
just two 9sp bikes.

Or take one single speed bikes and carry a couple of spare cogs in a back
pocket. Or fit a Rohloff.

You guys are expecting rational decision making from a RAAM competitor?

Bob Schwartz
Old June 14th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 13, 11:14 am, Simon Brooke wrote:
Callistus Valerius ') wrote:
this seems kind of stupid even to a RAAM enthusiast like me, carry 3 or 4
different single speed bikes with different cog sizes?? Why not bring
just two 9sp bikes.

Or take one single speed bikes and carry a couple of spare cogs in a back
pocket. Or fit a Rohloff.

They should run RAAM under the self-supported tourist
or no-technical assistance MTB racing rules. Carry your
cogs in your pocket and get rid of the support cars.
Enforce 8 hours of rest off the bike per day so the riders
don't fall asleep while riding and/or get killed (which is
why the follow cars were instituted). Then, each
competitor has to carry their own tools, spares, food and
water. But as these are tourist rules, give them an
allowance, somewhere from $20-60/day, that they can spend
on food, drinks, spare parts if they can find a bike shop,
or a cheap motel if they figure they'll ride better with
a decent night's sleep.

I started writing this as a joke, but I actually think
this would be a hell of a lot more interesting and
tactical than RAAM as it exists today. TV audiences
would watch it too; they watch "The Amazing Race."
Mid-race arguments between captain and stoker in the
tandem class would make the best TV, of course.

Ben
VP for Development, RBR Studios

Old June 14th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

wrote:

this seems kind of stupid even to a RAAM enthusiast like me, carry 3 or 4
different single speed bikes with different cog sizes??

I see Lon Haldeman smiling at a single-speeder carrying a selection of
bikes.
=====

As with many things, the original "concept" if you will was exciting.
Likewise the first few races. John Howard rides RAAM? Cool.

Some guy from Brazil wins some flakey open-wheel series race event? In
the words of an old friend: Tastes filling! Less great!

You knew Ben Franklin?

LIVEDRUNK is still mad about RAAM's discriminatory no-booze rule. That's
a human rights violation!

Old June 14th 07, 10:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Jun 13, 6:19 pm, "
wrote:

They should run RAAM under the self-supported tourist
or no-technical assistance MTB racing rules. Carry your
cogs in your pocket and get rid of the support cars.
Enforce 8 hours of rest off the bike per day so the riders
don't fall asleep while riding and/or get killed

Dumbass -

The tweekers (FRAAM riders) will never go for it.

8 hours sleep/day = no tweek

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old June 14th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell[_2_]

ups.com...
Callistus Valerius ') wrote:
[...]

In Thailand up North, you had to get used to seeing drivers hit dogs along
the side of the road, but it was an act of mercy as it wasn't like the dog
was going to see a vet or anything. Kill it quick, move on, nothing to see
here.

I thought the follow vehicles in RAAM served the same purpose.

--
Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)

RAAM is over. Crescentius Vespasianus Racing 2 June 23rd 06 09:35 PM
More RAAM fun [email protected] Racing 1 June 22nd 06 11:39 PM
Van Zee out of RAAM ! Callistus Valerius Racing 2 June 10th 06 06:51 AM
RAAM on TV again wafflycat UK 0 March 9th 05 06:26 PM