[punctures] Um, Am I missing Something ..?

Old November 27th 08, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

Default [punctures] Um, Am I missing Something ..?

aigle_de_la_route wrote:
OK so now, inner tube fitted, and **** me, can I get that tyre back on
the rim?? I've just destroyed four spoons ('destroyed' is a misnomer,
as I can bend 'em back into shape), and there's a three or four inch
section of the bead that will NOT go back onto the rim...

While you should avoid the use of levers for fitting a tyre when you can,
sometimes you just have to. Use something with a thin enough tip to get
under the bead, preferably not with a sharp edge!

~PB

Old November 27th 08, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
aigle_de_la_route

... got my second puncture in as many weeks this morning. Set off on my
nine-mile commute and hit some broken glass at mile 3. 'Lucky' in that
it didn't happen further on; 'unlucky' as it meant that my only choice
was to walk home, drag the bike up five flights of stairs, and set off
on the tube to work.

Got back in this afternoon and decided to try pumping up the tyre before
removing the tube, to see if I could localise the hole. Well it all
became rather academic as the valve sheared right off. Ho hum.

Anyway, I dig out a tube that's been lying in a drawer for a few months,
and note with dismay that it's 700 * 28/38c whereas the one in the wheel
is 700 * 35. Is that likely to be a problem?

But the real question is: am I missing something concerning removal of a
tube? I don't have tyre irons so use teaspoons. Could I get the small
handle end of the spoons under the tyre rim? Could I ****. I
eventually had no choice but to use a small, pointed knife to prise up
the beading. Now this didn't bother me that much as the inner tube was
destined for the bin anyway, but .. is it always that way when you have
to change a puncture ?

--
aigle_de_la_route
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Old November 27th 08, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

Default Oh that was _very_ clever .... [was: [punctures] Um, Am I missing Something ..?]

aigle_de_la_route wrote:
I could rant .. ah hell, I _will_ rant ...

I've had enough of cheap plastic. We have a chain of sportswear shops
here in France (it's they who built the Surly and yes, further to my
other thread about a loose headset, the front brake _still_ causes
juddering, even 24 hours after it was tightened, and so it looks like
they screwed up the build, and it was a 'moonlight' job, so no receipt
to claim compensation, should I need a new Surly fork) called
Go-Sport, and I bought a set of plastic trouser clips from them.
They lasted all of three days. I was by no means brusque with them,
but they'd just snap in my hands as I was putting them onto my
trouser leg (I only wear the right-hand one). The last straw was
about ten days ago, when I was stopped at a set of traffic lights on
the way to work, left foot in the pedal and right foot on the ground.
I lifted my right leg up as I pushed off, and the clip got caught in
the pedal. 'Snap!!' Four bicycle clips in the space of ten days.
I went and bought a set of velcro ones, but they don't look like
they're going to last very long, either. What the hell happened to
that word, 'quality' ?

There's a set of metal ones available on the web, but the site is
UK-based, and they don't ship to addresses outside Blighty.

You do not need metal levers to fit tight tyres. You just need the right
technique with thin-tipped levers - which can be made of average-strength
plastic.

Recommended: *Specialized Pry Babies*. Is that a great name or what?

~PB

Old November 27th 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs[_3_]

POHB wrote:
On 27 Nov, 15:10, aigle_de_la_route wrote:
I'm treating myself to a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus...

Good move. However, SM+ are one of the more difficult tyres to get
on
so I'd really recommend a set of tyre levers to go with them.
Also, top tip, to avoid pinching the tube when wrestling the things
onto the rim
put 'em on first with no tube, then take off one side, insert tube and
reseat.
Not sure if it streches the bead a bit or what, but they seem to go on
easier 2nd time around.

And use the narrowest tube that you think would be ok.

~PB

Old November 27th 08, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

aigle_de_la_route wrote:

.. got my second puncture in as many weeks this morning.

Anyway, I dig out a tube that's been lying in a drawer for a few months,
and note with dismay that it's 700 * 28/38c whereas the one in the wheel
is 700 * 35. Is that likely to be a problem?

No, 35 is between 28 and 38 so no problemo. Inner tubes are elastic
and fit a range of sizes.

But the real question is: am I missing something concerning removal of a
tube? I don't have tyre irons so use teaspoons. Could I get the small
handle end of the spoons under the tyre rim?

Make sure that the tyre is loose with the beads in the centre of the
rim, then you will be able to get the spoon^H^H^H^H lever under the
bead.

is it always that way when you have to change a puncture ?

The fairy always strikes at the most inconvenient time... :-(

Old November 27th 08, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
aigle_de_la_route

.... guess who forgot to remove the lovely, razor-sharp piece of glass
from the front tyre, before putting the new inner tube in ..?

*sigh*

Looks like public transport again tomorrow...

--
aigle_de_la_route
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Old November 27th 08, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_6_]

aigle_de_la_route wrote:

OK so now, inner tube fitted, and **** me, can I get that tyre back on
the rim?? I've just destroyed four spoons ('destroyed' is a misnomer,
as I can bend 'em back into shape), and there's a three or four inch
section of the bead that will NOT go back onto the rim...

As Phil said, the key is to get the bead into the centre of the rim
where the diameter is smaller, giving you enough slack to get the last
bit over the edge.
What I do is to put the partly inflated tube in the tyre, put the valve
in the hole and then one side of the bead into the rim.
Centre the tyre and start to put the other bead on. when it gets tight I
let more air out of the tube and start to haul at the bead from it's
opposite side, trying to roll it over with my palms. I try to arrange
things so that the last bit to go on is near the valve(since the valve
will prevent the tyre from dropping into the well of the rim), I get the
bead into the centre, where it's on and haul away.
Mostly this works and after many years of cycling and a few of working
in a bike workshop I think that I have only had to resort to using
levers to get at tyre on half a dozen times.
Of course when it's dark and wet.....

Roger Thorpe
Old November 27th 08, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful

aigle_de_la_route wrote:
... guess who forgot to remove the lovely, razor-sharp piece of glass
from the front tyre, before putting the new inner tube in ..?

*sigh*

Looks like public transport again tomorrow...

I have less punctures (read none) since putting slime liners in the tyres.

3 punctures Tom Crispin UK 1 November 21st 07 09:01 PM
5 punctures - what can I do? just us Australia 9 January 18th 07 12:33 AM
Punctures? Not me Michael Green UK 4 January 18th 04 02:07 PM
Punctures Arctic Corsair UK 5 December 10th 03 09:14 PM
punctures Steve Watkin UK 5 July 31st 03 10:06 PM