Replacements for Avocet Fasgrips

Old April 29th 12, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Berchin[_3_]

Default Replacements for Avocet Fasgrips

Looking for new tires for my vintage Paramount. Last set was Avocet Fasgrip;
700x25 front and 700x28 rear (bike plus rider exceeds 250 lbs). Can't find
Avocet tires anywhere any more, not even the more recent Carbon series.

I really like the feel of the Avocets. What modern tire comes close, at a
reasonable cost?

Thanks.
Old April 29th 12, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 4/29/2012 3:54 PM, Greg Berchin wrote:
Looking for new tires for my vintage Paramount. Last set was Avocet Fasgrip;
700x25 front and 700x28 rear (bike plus rider exceeds 250 lbs). Can't find
Avocet tires anywhere any more, not even the more recent Carbon series.

I really like the feel of the Avocets. What modern tire comes close, at a
reasonable cost?

Thanks.

I like Paselas, particularly because they're cheaper than the Avocets.
Old April 30th 12, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd[_2_]

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:54:21 PM UTC-7, Greg Berchin wrote:
Looking for new tires for my vintage Paramount. Last set was Avocet Fasgrip;
700x25 front and 700x28 rear (bike plus rider exceeds 250 lbs). Can't find
Avocet tires anywhere any more, not even the more recent Carbon series.

Avocet tires are no more. The factory that made the last "carbon series," was in Korea and burned down. T

I really like the feel of the Avocets. What modern tire comes close, at a
reasonable cost?

I've been using Michelin. In the US, they're not cheap. If you don't mind mail order, check out some of the UK dealers like Ribble, Chain Reaction Bicycles, Wiggle, Probikekit and others as they usually sell tires at about the same costs as most US wholesalers! Good Luck!
Thanks.

Old April 30th 12, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Peter Cole wrote:
On 4/29/2012 3:54 PM, Greg Berchin wrote:
Looking for new tires for my vintage Paramount. Last set was Avocet
Fasgrip;
700x25 front and 700x28 rear (bike plus rider exceeds 250 lbs). Can't
find
Avocet tires anywhere any more, not even the more recent Carbon series.

I really like the feel of the Avocets. What modern tire comes close, at a
reasonable cost?

Thanks.

I like Paselas, particularly because they're cheaper than the Avocets.

I'm using Paselas, too, and like them pretty well. I think I'd like
them better if they were treadless like the Avocets.

But after today's flat, following a flat two weeks ago, I'm wondering
whether they're flat-prone, or whether it's just coincidence. (It seems
to me flat resistance must be very difficult to measure.)

Both flats were caused by almost microscopic bits of either glass or
very hard stone.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 30th 12, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.dJEVsg3aW2Y
Old April 30th 12, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Apr 29, 9:54*pm, bfd wrote:
On Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:54:21 PM UTC-7, Greg Berchin wrote:
Looking for new tires for my vintage Paramount. Last set was Avocet Fasgrip;
700x25 front and 700x28 rear (bike plus rider exceeds 250 lbs). Can't find
Avocet tires anywhere any more, not even the more recent Carbon series.

Avocet tires are no more. The factory that made the last "carbon series," was in Korea and burned down. T

I really like the feel of the Avocets. What modern tire comes close, at a
reasonable cost?

I've been using Michelin. In the US, they're not cheap. If you don't mind mail order, check out some of the UK dealers like Ribble, Chain Reaction Bicycles, Wiggle, Probikekit and others as they usually sell tires at about the same costs as most US wholesalers! Good Luck!

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

I'll vouch for the Michelins, they are all Ive ever used for nearly 2
decades. My current set the rear has worn to the belt in a number of
places around the circumference of the tire- I still have not had a
puncture, and even yesterday I did 150k with long unpaved road
sections.
Old April 30th 12, 11:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Apr 30, 3:57*am, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
On 4/29/2012 3:54 PM, Greg Berchin wrote:
Looking for new tires for my vintage Paramount. Last set was Avocet
Fasgrip;
700x25 front and 700x28 rear (bike plus rider exceeds 250 lbs). Can't
find
Avocet tires anywhere any more, not even the more recent Carbon series..

I really like the feel of the Avocets. What modern tire comes close, at a
reasonable cost?

Thanks.

I like Paselas, particularly because they're cheaper than the Avocets.

I'm using Paselas, too, and like them pretty well. *I think I'd like
them better if they were treadless like the Avocets.

Use a hot iron before peeling off the tread. ;-)

But after today's flat, following a flat two weeks ago, I'm wondering
whether they're flat-prone, or whether it's just coincidence. *(It seems
to me flat resistance must be very difficult to measure.)

Resistance is useless. ;-)

Old April 30th 12, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:
[...]

Resistance is useless. *;-)

It'd be helpful to use more rubber,

save the world from little Krygos

Old April 30th 12, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 29, 4:37*pm, Peter Cole wrote:
On 4/29/2012 3:54 PM, Greg Berchin wrote:

Looking for new tires for my vintage Paramount. Last set was Avocet Fasgrip;
700x25 front and 700x28 rear (bike plus rider exceeds 250 lbs). Can't find
Avocet tires anywhere any more, not even the more recent Carbon series.

I really like the feel of the Avocets. What modern tre comes close, at a
reasonable cost?

Thanks.

I like Paselas, particularly because they're cheaper than the Avocets.

Paselas are just fine. Available now AFAIK in blackwall. The gf and I
have been impressed with the Gnashbar "Streetwise" tires she got
unmounted as a bonus with a used bike purchase. 35mm claimed, 32mm on
rim, 430g, supple enough, nearly slick, and incredible flat
resistance. It's a shame they don't come in a 28 or 30. Tread life
might be limited if they're still using the same supplier as a few
years ago--but at 100lb wet, she doesn't test that very well...
Old May 1st 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

On Apr 30, 6:55*am, raamman wrote:
On Apr 29, 9:54*pm, bfd wrote:

[...]

Raamman, which Miuches are you using? What do you recommend for a 28
or 32mm, 700c?

The last Michelin tire I can remember using was the Supercomp HD in a
23mm. It's the only tire I have ridden that seemed supple.

BC

Two MA2 replacements from DRC & ARAYA Thomas Hood Techniques 6 March 12th 07 09:20 AM
Replacements on DX. CKCrowe Unicycling 14 January 15th 07 07:28 PM
Upgrades, or replacements? Borgschulze Unicycling 13 September 26th 06 01:58 AM
Drop bar replacements? stuart doc UK 105 December 31st 05 11:33 AM
does anyone carry avocet? Need Avocet 50 replacement [email protected] Techniques 16 July 7th 05 06:30 AM