Platform pedal recommendation, please

Old October 5th 13, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_4_]

Default Platform pedal recommendation, please

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
:
One side of the pedal works nicely with my 8.5W construction shoes.
The other side doesn't. You can guess which side ends up on top most
of the time. I'm now shopping for yet another (cheap) replacement.

I can sympathise. I have a pair of very nice looking sealed bearing NC-17
pedals which I incautiously mail-ordered without realising that they were
not really double sided. They were on special and there was an unaccountable
shortage of my favorite MKS's at my usual suppliers. Solved that one, sort
of, by bolting a 50mm long piece of 4x16mm flat bar through the front pair
of holes meant for reflectors or toe clips. The bike now weighs a few ounces
more but the pedals hang vertically when at rest. I contact the correct side
of the pedal without looking by a slight rearward motion of the shoe sole,
something like flipping a toeclip pedal with the flip tab.
PH

Old October 5th 13, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 17:43:02 -0700 (PDT), BCDrums
wrote:

Perhaps I don't understand the possible meanings of "platform pedals."
I am looking for a pedal with a lot of surface area (...)

http://www.motobicycles.com/moto-urban-pedal-en.html
http://www.longboardism.com/2013/09/moto-urban-pedal-cycling-industry-gets-inspiration-us.html

Long ago, in a land far far away (called Smog Angeles), I inherited a
bicycle with a frame that was about 4 cm too tall for me to ride. I
couldn't lower the seat any lower. So, I decided to modify the
pedals. I found some old pedals, which I disassembled leaving only
the stem. I took a 4x4 and center drilled it match the stem diameter.
I pounded the bearings from the old pedals into the hole producing the
worlds fattest pedals. I added some rubber from an old automobile
tire inner tube. The result was ugly, functional, and worked well
until I grew somewhat taller. One problem was that I had to be very
careful how I positioned my foot on the 4x4 as the pedal wanted to
spin out from under my feet. Elevator shoes would probably have
worked better, but at that age, not looking like a "dork" was more
important than bicycle aesthetics.

You probably don't have to go to that extreme. However, attaching a
plywood platform onto a conventional cage type pedal only requires a
few angle brackets and some fasteners, and will probably do an
adequate job of supporting even the largest and flattest feet.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 5th 13, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Perhaps I don't understand the possible meanings of "platform pedals."

That's like asking "what is the meaning of life". None of the answers
make any sense.

A good approach (because that's how I do it) is to use pictures. For
example, if you're looking for "platform pedals", just inscribe the
term into Google Image search, or edit the links below, and Google
returns a selection of hopefully appropriate photos:

Platform Pedals:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=platform+pedals

Bear Trap Pedals:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=bear+trap+pedals

Wide Bicycle Pedals:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=wide+bicycle+pedals

I usually find the most interesting things using pictures instead of
text.

Old October 5th 13, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Lieb WHAT IS AN AE6KS ? is this tattooed ?

I see urnot cornering in LA ?

your saddle is oleless ? in that heat ?on the Republic ? over the San Andreas ?

holy coe=w !!! all inhabs of the Republic should sit on holed saddles bicycle or Goat.

the hole ACs your testickels and scro Dude !

its coooool. mandatory. also drains for your climate.

there's a seatless frame in GooImages under bear trap bicycle pedals...you saw ? next to the bear on trike.

Jerry B said Hi over muh bird-seismo field work. Via the quake alert project.

I'll send it along for your translation to East Coast.
Old October 5th 13, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I've seen blocks, i.e,. square pieces of wood bolted on either side of
a pedal - made what looked like a 4 inch cubic pedal - that were
apparently sold commercially. Dads used to use them to make the too
large bike, that they just bought for Junior, fit well enough that he
could sort of ride it :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old October 5th 13, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, October 5, 2013 1:43:02 AM UTC+1, BCDrums wrote:
On Friday, October 4, 2013 6:16:23 PM UTC-4, Peter Howard wrote:

MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals

http://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=PD4010

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=19660

They are my pedal of choice on several bicycles.

Peter,

Perhaps I don't understand the possible meanings of "platform pedals." I am looking for a pedal with a lot of surface area, like these:

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/pc2

or the Redline pedals that AMuzi mentioned. The Sylvans are like the pedals I have now, a quill-type pedal with all weight borne by two thin ridges of metal. I'd like more surface to take the weight, and pins or other ways to create some friction. These MKS pedals are interesting too:

http://www.amazon.com/MKS-Lambda-Ped.../dp/B001GSQVEE

BC

Most of us understood you wanted old-fashioned rubber block pedals, or some modern realization of the same like the Ergons you refer to, pedals suitable for street shoes. But a word you used, "platform", misled careless readers with literal minds. A "platform" is not a utility pedal but a studded MTB speciality like the Lambda which will do your streets shoes' soles no good, nor your shins.

By the way. there's another confusing usage. My pedal makeres measure the LENGTH of the pedal parallel to the frame and the WIDTH perpendicular to the frame, so that the length of a pedal can appear to be less than the width.... Check the piccie as well as the specs!

Andre Jute
Old October 5th 13, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:58:46 AM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

we stand corrected for non existent words/concepts....platforms are designed FLAT ie all flat design pedals fall under PLATFORM like this one

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ding_pedal.jpg

Old October 5th 13, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

Dimension Pedal Blocks:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/sb4jw.nuvx9/v/vspfiles/photos/7761062941099-2.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390664941088
I don't recall if those were available in the early 1960's. Looking
at the photo, I suspect that it would not have been high enough for
me. I was 13 or 14 when I made the wooden pedals. My first prototype
was a sandwich something like the photo wrapped in package twine. The
problem was that I just couldn't get a good fit or grip to the pedal.
So, I eliminated most of the pedal, except for the stem and bearings.
I wanted to make it round, but we didn't have a wood lathe.

Shoes were a problem. At the time, I was into Florsheim leather sole
shoes (with corrective inserts for flat feet). The soles were
sufficiently slippery that I could fall on my face just standing on
the sidewalk. At least they had a heel, which I could use to position
my shoes on the pedal. However, my flat bottom tennis shoes lacked
this feature, making tennis shoes a bad idea. I found a pair of golf
shoes that almost fit if I wore 3 pairs of socks. I removed most of
the cleats except for two that were under the ball of the foot. I
drilled matching holes in the wooden pedals. I worked quite well.
Unfortunately, my mother failed to appreciate my engineering after I
gouged the oak flooring in the house with the cleats.

Full disclosu I had some help from my father, who drilled the
holes and offered some useful advice. I also managed to cut myself
rather badly when trying to adjust the design with a sharp wood
chisel.

Old October 5th 13, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/4/2013 7:43 PM, BCDrums wrote:
On Friday, October 4, 2013 6:16:23 PM UTC-4, Peter Howard wrote:

MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals

http://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=PD4010

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=19660

They are my pedal of choice on several bicycles.

Peter,

Perhaps I don't understand the possible meanings of "platform pedals." I am looking for a pedal with a lot of surface area, like these:

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/pc2

or the Redline pedals that AMuzi mentioned. The Sylvans are like the pedals I have now, a quill-type pedal with all weight borne by two thin ridges of metal. I'd like more surface to take the weight, and pins or other ways to create some friction. These MKS pedals are interesting too:

http://www.amazon.com/MKS-Lambda-Ped.../dp/B001GSQVEE

BC

I think OP was looking for the style of the two top images he
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/components/pedals

tough as any you'll find and often selected by the lower
orders of abusive riders to great success.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 5th 13, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

On Saturday, October 5, 2013 11:22:09 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

I think OP was looking for the style of the two top images he

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/components/pedals

tough as any you'll find and often selected by the lower

orders of abusive riders to great success.

Andrew, the Redline is more what I had in mind. Although with all of this discussion of the MKS 3000R Dutch-style pedals, I am wavering: more gription from the Redline, or less shin damage from the MKS?

BC
Lacerated