Replacement bottom bracket for a Dawes Horizon (2005)

Old May 6th 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Default Replacement bottom bracket for a Dawes Horizon (2005)

I've worn out my bottom bracket. I have no idea what a suitable
replacement might be - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daniele
Old May 6th 08, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pete whelan

D.M. Procida wrote:
I've worn out my bottom bracket. I have no idea what a suitable
replacement might be - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daniele

Shimano UN52 of the same length you currently have fitted or if not
square taper, then maybe the next grade up on what is fitted
Old May 6th 08, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Pete Whelan wrote:

I've worn out my bottom bracket. I have no idea what a suitable
replacement might be - any suggestions?

Shimano UN52 of the same length you currently have fitted or if not
square taper, then maybe the next grade up on what is fitted

Right... so how would I find out what length it is without taking it
out? Or indeed whether it has a square taper?

Daniele
Old May 6th 08, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

D.M. Procida wrote:
Pete Whelan wrote:

I've worn out my bottom bracket. I have no idea what a suitable
replacement might be - any suggestions?

Shimano UN52

or UN53 or UN72 or UN73

of the same length you currently have fitted or if not
square taper, then maybe the next grade up on what is fitted

Right... so how would I find out what length it is without taking it
out? Or indeed whether it has a square taper?

Length of axle can be measured by taking the cranks off (which you will
probably need a special tool for). Hopefully someone will save you doing
that by knowing what is fitted to your bike (which would be possible as you
have mentioned the model and year). Sorry I don't know.

Make or model of cranks will indicate whether it's a square taper type.

~PB

Old May 6th 08, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

D.M. Procida wrote:

I've worn out my bottom bracket. I have no idea what a suitable
replacement might be - any suggestions?

Shimano UN52 of the same length you currently have fitted or if not
square taper, then maybe the next grade up on what is fitted

Right... so how would I find out what length it is without taking it
out? Or indeed whether it has a square taper?

OK, I've done a bit more investigating.

First, I can see something that looks as though this tool:

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=BBT-22

will fit into. Does that give any useful information about what kind of
bottom bracket it is?

I have one of those tools in my toolset.

Unfortunately, I can't tell for certain whether it will fit, because I
can't get the cranks off. I have a crank-pulling tool, but having
tightened it as tight as it will go, nothing has budged.

Second, the axle is square - is this what is meant by a square taper? It
looks somewhat like this:

http://www.parktool.com/images_inc/repair_help/crank04.jpg

Finally, according to the Dawes website, newer versions of the same bike
are listed as having Shimano bottom brackets.

I don't know if this is useful in identifying what's likely to be on
there.

Daniele
Old May 6th 08, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

D.M. Procida wrote:

OK, I've done a bit more investigating.

First, I can see something that looks as though this tool:

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=BBT-22

will fit into. Does that give any useful information about what kind
of bottom bracket it is?

Not unless sure that is the exact tool that would fit.

I have one of those tools in my toolset.

Unfortunately, I can't tell for certain whether it will fit, because I
can't get the cranks off. I have a crank-pulling tool, but having
tightened it as tight as it will go, nothing has budged.

It's a two-part process. See the instructions on Park Tools.

Second, the axle is square - is this what is meant by a square taper?

Yes, so we're getting there.

We can find out what the axle length /probably/ is just from the model of
cranks. Are they marked with a name or number? Look on the back as well as
front.

~PB

Old May 7th 08, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Tue, 6 May 2008 23:36:14 +0100,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

OK, I've done a bit more investigating.

First, I can see something that looks as though this tool:

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=BBT-22

will fit into. Does that give any useful information about what kind of
bottom bracket it is?

A little. It's not some fancy off the wall make.

I have one of those tools in my toolset.

And you have the tool with which to remove it.

Unfortunately, I can't tell for certain whether it will fit, because I
can't get the cranks off. I have a crank-pulling tool, but having
tightened it as tight as it will go, nothing has budged.

(Grandmother, eggs etc.)

There are two bits to tighten: the first attaches the tool very firmly
to the crank, the second then pushes the crank off the end of the
axle. If you've done that bit right and it still doesn't shift, try a
bit of Plus Gas and waiting overnight. Or a bit of gentle heat.

And make sure you've removed the crank bolt (or in some cases, nut)
first.

Second, the axle is square - is this what is meant by a square taper? It
looks somewhat like this:

http://www.parktool.com/images_inc/repair_help/crank04.jpg

Yes.

Finally, according to the Dawes website, newer versions of the same bike
are listed as having Shimano bottom brackets.

So it's likely to be JIS.

I don't know if this is useful in identifying what's likely to be on
there.

Still need to measure it.

--

Tim

I understand very little of what's being discussed
but for some reason it's fascinating.

(Jon Thompson, urs)
Old May 7th 08, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On May 6, 11:36*pm, (D.M.
Procida) wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't tell for certain whether it will fit, because I
can't get the cranks off. I have a crank-pulling tool, but having
tightened it as tight as it will go, nothing has budged.

Be careful here as you have the potential to destroy your cranks. The
pulling tool has two parts, a body that screws into the crank, and an
inner part that screws into the tool.

Make sure the inner part is unscrewed almost all the way out before
you screw the tool into the crank. Then make sure the body of the tool
is all the way into the crank. Only then should you screw in the inner
part. There will be some temporary resistance then the crank should
come off easily. If the body if the tool is only a few threads in it
will strip the threads from the crank then you will be in for a torrid
time.

--
Dave...
Old May 7th 08, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
D.M. Procida

Tim Hall wrote:

There are two bits to tighten: the first attaches the tool very firmly
to the crank, the second then pushes the crank off the end of the
axle. If you've done that bit right and it still doesn't shift, try a
bit of Plus Gas and waiting overnight. Or a bit of gentle heat.

Having left it overnight with penetrating oil, still nothing has budged.

I've tried again, as hard as I dare. I'll try heating up the crank with
a hot air gun next.

Daniele