What is the pronunciation of "brevet"?

Old March 7th 09, 12:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fred Chrysler

Default What is the pronunciation of "brevet"?

Can someone please tell me the correct pronunciation of the word "brevet"?

Thanks

Old March 7th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mikeyan

correct pronunciation of the word "brevet"?

breh-VAY is an acceptable English prounuciation, although bruh-VEH
comes closer to its sound in French. There is no exact phonetic
equivalent of the first e, a neutral vowel sound sort of like English
eh, er, or uh.

It's quite possible the Brits pronounce it BRIV-et, which is how they
usually pronounced their [borrowed] word brevet, meaning a military
order.
Old March 7th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

mikeyan wrote:
correct pronunciation of the word "brevet"?

breh-VAY is an acceptable English prounuciation, although bruh-VEH
comes closer to its sound in French. There is no exact phonetic
equivalent of the first e, a neutral vowel sound sort of like English
eh, er, or uh.

It's quite possible the Brits pronounce it BRIV-et, which is how they
usually pronounced their [borrowed] word brevet, meaning a military
order.

My dictionary says briVET. Or BREvit, but that's "chiefly British."
Nary a trace of -vay to be found.

I have to admit I've never before heard this word used in connection
with bicycles...

Bill

__o | Si hoc legere scis,
_`\(,_ | nimium eruditionis habes.
(_)/ (_) |
Old March 7th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
slide[_2_]

Fred Chrysler wrote:
Can someone please tell me the correct pronunciation of the word "brevet"?

bre-VET
Old March 7th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

mikeyan wrote:
correct pronunciation of the word "brevet"?

breh-VAY is an acceptable English prounuciation, although bruh-VEH
comes closer to its sound in French. There is no exact phonetic
equivalent of the first e, a neutral vowel sound sort of like
English
eh, er, or uh.

This is the way the people doing them around here pronounce it,
including some who've done PBP (not me, though).

Here's the local schedule, with links to other groups around the
country:
http://www.glrrando.org/

--
Mike Kruger
Chicago area

Old March 7th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Mar 7, 10:10*am, slide wrote:
Fred Chrysler wrote:
Can someone please tell me the correct pronunciation of the word "brevet"?

bre-VET

that's the way I say it, along with pronouncing Mavic, Meh-VICK--just
to **** off the French. ;-)

Hey--my granny calls Digestive crackers, "Dee-geh-steev-aye"
Old March 8th 09, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
slide[_2_]

landotter wrote:
On Mar 7, 10:10 am, slide wrote:
Fred Chrysler wrote:
Can someone please tell me the correct pronunciation of the word "brevet"?

bre-VET

that's the way I say it, along with pronouncing Mavic, Meh-VICK--just
to **** off the French. ;-)

Hey--my granny calls Digestive crackers, "Dee-geh-steev-aye"

I figure if we Anglophones start saying stuff like 'brev eh' or
whatever, then we need to start saying Pareeeee instead of Paris.

Old March 8th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_3_]

: On Mar 8, 12:26 pm, slide wrote:
:: landotter wrote:
::: On Mar 7, 10:10 am, slide wrote:
:::: Fred Chrysler wrote:
::::: Can someone please tell me the correct pronunciation of the word
::::: "brevet"? bre-VET
::
::: that's the way I say it, along with pronouncing Mavic,
::: Meh-VICK--just to **** off the French. ;-)
::
::: Hey--my granny calls Digestive crackers, "Dee-geh-steev-aye"
::
:: I figure if we Anglophones start saying stuff like 'brev eh' or
:: whatever, then we need to start saying Pareeeee instead of Paris.

I had thought of that before this, but the guy the town was named after
didn't pronounce it "Paree."

Pat in TX

Old March 9th 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

Fred Chrysler wrote, On 3/7/2009 7:02 AM:
Can someone please tell me the correct pronunciation of the word
"brevet"?

Thanks

Its times like this that I really miss Sheldon Brown. He left us a
definition for brevet but failed to provide a pronunciation guide.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#brevet

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)