Need a new Schrader pump head

Old February 15th 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

Default Need a new Schrader pump head

I have a '70s MDI floor pump that I use to keep the tires on the
family cars topped up, and to do our kid bikes with pressures into the
60 psi range. The head has failed after a mere 35 years.

I can get a Planet Bike head shipped for $6 shipped, or a Topeak
Twinhead with hose for $20. I worry that I'll have trouble fitting the
Planet Bike head onto the car tires, but I like the price. Does anyone
want to say that the Twinhead is fantastic and worth the money?

My Presta pump, for the record, is an equally vintage Silca. I can
hear it falling over right now.

BC
pumped
Old February 15th 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 15, 4:32*pm, BCDrums wrote:
I have a '70s MDI floor pump that I use to keep the tires on the
family cars topped up, and to do our kid bikes with pressures into the
60 psi range. The head has failed after a mere 35 years.

I can get a Planet Bike head shipped for $6 shipped, or a Topeak
Twinhead with hose for $20. I worry that I'll have trouble fitting the
Planet Bike head onto the car tires, but I like the price. Does anyone
want to say that the Twinhead is fantastic and worth the money?

My Presta pump, for the record, is an equally vintage Silca. I can
hear it falling over right now.

The PB floor pump head is a two hole jobber as well. I've used both
and they're just fine. If you don't need the hose, the PB is cheap
enough to get a pair and a spare.
Old February 15th 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

BCDrums wrote:
I have a '70s MDI floor pump that I use to keep the tires on the
family cars topped up, and to do our kid bikes with pressures into the
60 psi range. The head has failed after a mere 35 years.

I can get a Planet Bike head shipped for $6 shipped, or a Topeak
Twinhead with hose for $20. I worry that I'll have trouble fitting the
Planet Bike head onto the car tires, but I like the price. Does anyone
want to say that the Twinhead is fantastic and worth the money?

My Presta pump, for the record, is an equally vintage Silca. I can
hear it falling over right now.

Both pumps are first rate products but the Silca has better
small parts support as Medai closed long ago.

Topeak's set includes a good quality hose, dual head and all
the fittings to easily install them on just about any pump.
If you want assurance that this will be a quick job with
no intervening errand to the hardware store, go Topeak.

The Planet 1012 head is OK, may or may not readily fit your
hose but if you're handy it's cheap. Planet 1012 hose/head
set should be about 2/3 the cost of a Topeak and will fit
with a 95c hose clamp.

Fitting your car tire valves shouldn't be an issue unless
your wheel covers are too deep for a good grasp. SV
extenders may be a solution.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 15th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BigP

BCDrums wrote:
I have a '70s MDI floor pump that I use to keep the tires on the
family cars topped up, and to do our kid bikes with pressures into the
60 psi range. The head has failed after a mere 35 years.

I can get a Planet Bike head shipped for $6 shipped, or a Topeak
Twinhead with hose for $20. I worry that I'll have trouble fitting the
Planet Bike head onto the car tires, but I like the price. Does anyone
want to say that the Twinhead is fantastic and worth the money?

No, the Topeak SmartHead is better than the TwinHead and Silca heads - grips
the valve better, no leakage - at least for Presta valves.

Old February 15th 10, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

On Feb 15, 6:33*pm, "BigP"
wrote:

No, the Topeak SmartHead is better than the TwinHead and Silca heads - grips
the valve better, no leakage - at least for Presta valves.

My interest is Schrader valves at this time. I cite this page from
Harris Cyclery,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/tire.html

wherein it says of the Twinhead:
This replacement hose fits most floor pumps. It features the Topeak
"TwinHead" that has separate heads for both Schrader and Presta
valves. We have found the Twinhead to be much more reliable than the
Topeak SmartHead.

BC
underinflated
Old February 16th 10, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BigP

BCDrums wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:33 pm, "BigP"
wrote:

No, the Topeak SmartHead is better than the TwinHead and Silca heads
- grips the valve better, no leakage - at least for Presta valves.

My interest is Schrader valves at this time. I cite this page from
Harris Cyclery,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/tire.html

wherein it says of the Twinhead:
This replacement hose fits most floor pumps. It features the Topeak
"TwinHead" that has separate heads for both Schrader and Presta
valves. We have found the Twinhead to be much more reliable than the
Topeak SmartHead.

The SmartHead I use now has been totally reliable for some years. It never
leaks, unlike the TwinHead I tried previously.

Old February 16th 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Feb 16, 2:14*am, "BigP"
wrote:
BCDrums wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:33 pm, "BigP"
wrote:

No, the Topeak SmartHead is better than the TwinHead and Silca heads
- grips the valve better, no leakage - at least for Presta valves.

My interest is Schrader valves at this time. I cite this page from
Harris Cyclery,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/tire.html

wherein it says of the Twinhead:
This replacement hose fits most floor pumps. It features the Topeak
"TwinHead" that has separate heads for both Schrader and Presta
valves. We have found the Twinhead to be much more reliable than the
Topeak SmartHead.

The SmartHead I use now has been totally reliable for some years. *It never
leaks, unlike the TwinHead I tried previously.

Here's another vote in defense of the SmartHead. Mine is on the only
compact pump I have that I can in good conscience recommend, the
Topeak Peak DX. The SmartHead gets abused a bit because all the
pedalpals borrow it, even when they have frame pumps sitting on their
bikes, and it just keeps marching on. -- Andre Jute
Old February 16th 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 15, 3:41*pm, BCDrums wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:33*pm, "BigP"

wrote:

No, the Topeak SmartHead is better than the TwinHead and Silca heads - grips
the valve better, no leakage - at least for Presta valves.

My interest is Schrader valves at this time. I cite this page from
Harris Cyclery,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/tire.html

wherein it says of the Twinhead:
This replacement hose fits most floor pumps. It features the Topeak
"TwinHead" that has separate heads for both Schrader and Presta
valves. We have found the Twinhead to be much more reliable than the
Topeak SmartHead.

BC
underinflated

I have all the pumps - Twinhead, Smarthead, Specialied "SwitchHitter",
Silca. If you live long enough, you end up accumulating pumps. All of
them are working fine after 10-30 years (Silca is the oldest).

Both the Twinhead and the Smarthead are snug on schrader valves, but
they work fine. I prefer Silca (with a good gasket) on presta valves
because I don't like thumb locks -- except for really high pressures
or when the old Silca goes flaccid. The Switch Hitter has a rather
stiff, long-throw thumb lock. I prefer the Topeak thumb lock. -- Jay
Beattie.
Old February 16th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Feb 15, 6:41*pm, BCDrums wrote:
On Feb 15, 6:33*pm, "BigP"

wrote:

No, the Topeak SmartHead is better than the TwinHead and Silca heads - grips
the valve better, no leakage - at least for Presta valves.

My interest is Schrader valves at this time. I cite this page from
Harris Cyclery,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/tire.html

wherein it says of the Twinhead:
This replacement hose fits most floor pumps. It features the Topeak
"TwinHead" that has separate heads for both Schrader and Presta
valves. We have found the Twinhead to be much more reliable than the
Topeak SmartHead.

I've got the SmartHead, which I put onto an old pump as a
replacement.

It's working OK now, but it did begin leaking once or twice, requiring
disassembly and (IIRC) replacement of an O-ring. And I had trouble
finding the right sized O-ring.

Now the pin that forms the pivot for the locking handle keeps trying
to migrate out the side. No huge deal, I just keep pushing it back
into place. I guess I should try some blue Loctite on it.

Oh, and the SmartHead is too big to use on my motorcycle's rear tire.
It doesn't fit between the valve and rear brake. I had to cobble
together an adaptor/extension for that application.

I give it two stars out of five.

- Frank Krygowski
Old February 17th 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

MAYBE GET a Walmort floor pump, cut the locking head off, splice into
your rig.