7410 8sp FD for 9sp system

Old January 31st 11, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

Default 7410 8sp FD for 9sp system

I assume this will make no funtional difference: I have a 7410
Shimano Front Derailleur and I'm building up a bike to use 9 speed
Shimano, 7700 Shifters. I have another bike useing the 7700 FD and
it works great on compact cranks. Will the 7410 have slightly wider
spacing to accomodate 8speed chains than the 7700 for 9sp chains or
is this so minor as to not matter?

thanks

Old January 31st 11, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Ronko wrote:

I assume this will make no funtional difference: I have a 7410
Shimano Front Derailleur and I'm building up a bike to use 9 speed
Shimano, 7700 Shifters. I have another bike useing the 7700 FD and
it works great on compact cranks. Will the 7410 have slightly wider
spacing to accomodate 8speed chains than the 7700 for 9sp chains or
is this so minor as to not matter?

Cool, a tech question!

I gotta say, if the Shimano 7700 front shifter isn't capable of making
a recent model Shimano front derailleur shift correctly across a
Shimano-compatible crank, then it's pathetic, verging worthless.

But I allow for the possibility that it, like some other recent
Shimano road bike components, may be almost worthless.

If it doesn't work, you could always try a top mount thumbshifter with
confidence. But you'll have to use a handlebar with a versatile
diameter.

Chalo
Old January 31st 11, 06:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Jan 30, 10:19*pm, Ronko wrote:
I assume this will make no funtional difference: I have a 7410
Shimano Front Derailleur and I'm building up a bike to use 9 speed
Shimano, 7700 Shifters. I have another bike useing the 7700 FD and
it works great on compact cranks. Will the 7410 have slightly wider
spacing to accomodate 8speed chains than the 7700 for 9sp chains or
is this so minor as to not matter?

thanks

It's pretty minor. It's a double and if you aren't trying any unusual
gearing it should work fine.

I have noticed, though that when front derailleurs went from 7 to 8
speeds the cages got a little wider to accommodate the wider range of
chain angles; when they went from 8 to 9 speed the derailleur cages
got a little narrower to match the now narrowed chains. So
counterintuitively 7speed FDs work just a little better then 8speed
when on a 9speed system.
Old January 31st 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jan 30, 11:19*pm, Ronko wrote:
I assume this will make no funtional difference: I have a 7410
Shimano Front Derailleur and I'm building up a bike to use 9 speed
Shimano, 7700 Shifters. I have another bike useing the 7700 FD and
it works great on compact cranks. Will the 7410 have slightly wider
spacing to accomodate 8speed chains than the 7700 for 9sp chains or
is this so minor as to not matter?

thanks

Minor, it will work fine and dandy. Generally speaking using a
'previous' number of speed FD with a 'more speeds' shifter works, not
the contrary. A 10s FD works poorly with 9s STI, for example.
Old January 31st 11, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Ronko wrote:

Peter Chisholm wrote:

it will work fine and dandy. Generally speaking using a
'previous' number of speed FD with a 'more speeds' shifter
works, not the contrary. A 10s FD works poorly with 9s STI,
for example.

Your answer seems to make the most sense, so I'll waste the 10'
putting it on. If it works, good. If not then I'll get a 7700 which I
know works. Thanks.

Do you remember when any shifter worked with any derailleur?

It seemed like things were moving in that direction in the 7-speed
index days, too, for a while. Evidently there's some money to be made
in fuxxoring a good thing.

Chalo
Old January 31st 11, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd[_2_]

On Jan 31, 10:14*am, Chalo wrote:
Ronko wrote:

Peter Chisholm wrote:

it will work fine and dandy. Generally speaking using a
'previous' number of speed FD with a 'more speeds' shifter
works, not the contrary. A 10s FD works poorly with 9s STI,
for example.

Your answer seems to make the most sense, so I'll waste the 10'
putting it on. If it works, good. If not then I'll get a 7700 which I
know works. Thanks.

Do you remember when any shifter worked with any derailleur?

If we talking ft der, then Shimano STI is finicky and needs the
appropriate parts. However, Campy ergo, which is ratcheting works with
just any front der, at least for "compact" double cranks. Further,
many on the ibob list have reported that Campy triple ft der are some
of the best and shifts STI, bar ends and dt shifters equally well.

In fact, one of the few Campy parts sold by Riv is the ft der:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show...erailer/17-137

For me, I use an old C-Rec ft fer to shift my Campy 9 ergo with no
problem. On my other bike, I use a DA 7700 ft der to shift Campy 9
ergo shifters, again, NO problems.

It seemed like things were moving in that direction in the 7-speed
index days, too, for a while. *Evidently there's some money to be made
in fuxxoring a good thing.

I think its a matter of companies developing their own proprietary
systems to get people to buy all of their parts rather than bits and
pieces. The claim is the system works better when they buy matching
shifters and ders. In most cases it does. However, there are always
those of us who like to experiment and can mix and match. Not for the
faint of heart and most riders today would prefer a matched system.
Sort of like 99% of all cars today only come with automatic
transmission as most people don't want to shift gears. Good Luck!
Old January 31st 11, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/31/2011 12:25 PM, bfd wrote:
On Jan 31, 10:14 am, wrote:
Ronko wrote:

Peter Chisholm wrote:

[...]

The "systems" only work properly for selected uses - for instance, no
one makes a good "system" for a cargo bike/trike, most recumbents, most
folders, or any velomobile.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old January 31st 11, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Tzm Shermzn wrote:

The "systems" only work properly for selected uses - for instance, no
one makes a good "system" for a cargo bike/trike, most recumbents, most
folders, or any velomobile.

Have you tried Shimano Capreo?

Chalo
Old February 1st 11, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/31/2011 5:15 PM, Chalo Colina wrote:
Tzm Shermzn wrote:

The "systems" only work properly for selected uses - for instance, no
one makes a good "system" for a cargo bike/trike, most recumbents, most
folders, or any velomobile.

Have you tried Shimano Capreo?

Capreo is good at increasing the "tallness" of the gearing on a small
wheel bicycle, but not the overall range. It would be well suited to
folding road bikes (which was likely Shimano's intention).